Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Skeletool RX?

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: Skeletool RX?
Reply #60 on: October 10, 2015, 05:21:07 PM
Even though we are a smallish customer base, I don't understand why Leatherman doesn't have an official representative member here.

We all know the peek around the site but some responses would be great lol

They do.

Designers for all the companies crawl here incognito, and at least two members of Leatherman management (that I know of) have posted here in the past, one even openly.

They don't usually advertise their presence because they want unbiased feedback that they don't get through other channels.

Def
Sometimes they accept it like in the case of Style CS/PS, and sometimes ignore it like in case of the Signal.  ;)

:D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #61 on: October 10, 2015, 05:40:06 PM
Btw, def, do you know if Klecker gets any word in the new vaeiations of the Skele or is that now LM property to do with it as they please?

I am only guessing, but Leatherman own the patent on Skeletool, so I imagine they can do as they please with the design.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #62 on: October 10, 2015, 06:02:31 PM
I've seen Mako TI going for under $30 recently. Seems like a good deal.

I got a Topeak Mini 20 for $24 - and it does a lot more than a Mako. 7 or 8 sizes of hex, 2 torx, flat and phillips, chain breaker, tire lever, 3 or 4 different sizes/types of spoke wrenches, bottle opener.

Mako is a ripoff by comparison.

This is the first time I've heard of that Topeak tool (haven't been into cycling for a while) but it does look like a good choice. Though it's also not a OPT, so I wouldn't call it a level playing field if more than price point is considered.

Their are tons of great compound multitools geared specifically for bikes (although none are pliers based). In addition to Topeak, you have solid offerings from Pedros, Park Tool, Serfas, Crank Brothers, and even several bike brands make tools.

It looks like LM have discontinued the Mako?
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #63 on: October 11, 2015, 01:00:57 AM

"Availability : This is a retired product and is no longer produced."

http://www.leatherman.com/mako-ti-47.html

Apparently it is indeed discontinued. No idea when this happened.

us Offline detron

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #64 on: October 11, 2015, 03:09:45 AM
Even though we are a smallish customer base, I don't understand why Leatherman doesn't have an official representative member here.

We all know the peek around the site but some responses would be great lol

They do.

Designers for all the companies crawl here incognito, and at least two members of Leatherman management (that I know of) have posted here in the past, one even openly.

They don't usually advertise their presence because they want unbiased feedback that they don't get through other channels.

Def

now, if these companies would take note to what extent we (MTO) go to identifying changes and when they took place, maybe they could be better about documenting changes,  even in a simple thread type web page.

example

10 October 2015 - new "Leatherman" die in use for plier stamp
3 February 2016 - released Bladeless Rebar.
9 March 2016 - changed scissor joint to new material.

one day, this would be very valuable, and though the average person who buys or uses a MT would not care,  those of us here might buy more because we know it is different
If I can help, let me know 

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #65 on: October 11, 2015, 06:55:08 AM
now, if these companies would take note to what extent we (MTO) go to identifying changes and when they took place, maybe they could be better about documenting changes,  even in a simple thread type web page.

example

one day, this would be very valuable, and though the average person who buys or uses a MT would not care,  those of us here might buy more because we know it is different

Documented changes occure after quality changes.

Quality changes after Tim starts running the company again and tosses some people to the curb. To be documented thusly:

D-Day. The boss came out of retirement. Got medieval.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #66 on: October 20, 2015, 12:06:16 PM

example

Documented changes occure after quality changes.

Quality changes after Tim starts running the company again and tosses some people to the curb. To be documented thusly:

D-Day. The boss came out of retirement. Got medieval.

:D

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #67 on: January 19, 2016, 10:31:04 PM
Whoever had emergency response version wins the pot! Orange ceracoat chassis, carbide glass breaker bit, fully serrated sheepsfoot blade. Well, sort of sheepsfoot. Not really

* Leatherman-2.0-222x296.jpeg (Filesize: 13.27 KB)

* Leatherman-1-395x296.jpg (Filesize: 16.23 KB)

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #68 on: January 19, 2016, 10:44:52 PM
I have nothing against a specialty multitool.  Especially, if it can actually be useful.  Now there has been some specialty MTs made for M-16s, AK-47s, etc.  Still, not a lot of people own them. 
Now if LM(and competitors) want to make a worthwhile specialty MT.  How about one for bicycle owners??  Now THERE is a growth market!  7 billion people on this rock called "Earth", and 3 billion own/ride bicycles.  And the number is growing.

The real trick is to make that type of MT affordable for the guy in some third world country, and uses his bicycle to make a decent living :think:
(Image removed from quote.)

Got one of those.  And it actually works pretty good on my bicycle. 
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #69 on: January 19, 2016, 10:45:45 PM
Whoever had emergency response version wins the pot! Orange ceracoat chassis, carbide glass breaker bit, fully serrated sheepsfoot blade. Well, sort of sheepsfoot. Not really

I WANT ONE!!!!!
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #70 on: January 19, 2016, 10:46:30 PM
pdp_skeleRX_2.jpg
* pdp_skeleRX_2.jpg (Filesize: 18.57 KB)
pdp_klrebar_1.jpg
* pdp_klrebar_1.jpg (Filesize: 20.96 KB)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 10:48:21 PM by rdub934 »

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #71 on: January 19, 2016, 10:52:08 PM
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #72 on: January 19, 2016, 11:36:28 PM
Knifeless Rebar is $20 more than a regular Rebar WTF  :facepalm:

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #73 on: January 19, 2016, 11:37:07 PM
I can see LM selling LOTS of those glass breaker bits from the Skeletool RX ( so long as they fit other LM bit holders and LM choose to market them).
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #74 on: January 19, 2016, 11:45:35 PM
I can see LM selling LOTS of those glass breaker bits from the Skeletool RX ( so long as they fit other LM bit holders and LM choose to market them).

I think they will. They'd be dumb to not sell them. And they will work better in the Wave/Charge/Surge than in the Skeletool since you can lock the driver out with the tool closed - better grip. With the Skele, you would be striking the window with the tool either half opened - which could then collapse at the pliers, or fully opened - which would be awkward whilst striking. I don't understand why they wouldn't work something onto the outside of the carabiner area for glass breaking. Or at least make the glass breaker bit long enough to protrude past the carabiner

us Offline cody6268

Reply #75 on: January 20, 2016, 01:05:43 AM

I think they will. They'd be dumb to not sell them. And they will work better in the Wave/Charge/Surge than in the Skeletool since you can lock the driver out with the tool closed - better grip. With the Skele, you would be striking the window with the tool either half opened - which could then collapse at the pliers, or fully opened - which would be awkward whilst striking. I don't understand why they wouldn't work something onto the outside of the carabiner area for glass breaking. Or at least make the glass breaker bit long enough to protrude past the carabiner

This is one of the main reasons I don't like the new Skeletool I have.   It's a pain using the drivers  since I can't close the tool up.   The darn carabiner gets in the way. I may have to get an extender to remedy this

I'll get the knifeless Rebar as soon is it goes on sale.   It's time I got my Klein hawkbill and Camillus TL-29 (my two main folders) out of retirement. I might as well also get a Victorinox Sentinel Plus.

As far as the Skeletool RX, I'll just get the glass breaker and stick it in my normal Skeletool.  I figure I should get one, as you never know when one I may need to use it myself when I start driving,  and two, I may need it to extricate someone some day.  Is the Phillips/flat head combo bit sold by itself?

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #76 on: January 20, 2016, 01:25:32 AM
Haha, I knew they mistakingly put the names on their website and they lied to us when we asked about it. I knew they were lying.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #77 on: January 20, 2016, 01:33:23 AM
Haha, I knew they mistakingly put the names on their website and they lied to us when we asked about it. I knew they were lying.

Yup! "Typo" - yea right :rofl:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #78 on: January 20, 2016, 02:34:46 AM

Yup, further fuelling my distrust. SOG go  :oops: that shouldn't be in circulation when new product info sneaks out, Leatherman just blatantly lies. Says a lot about a company when they're so comfortable to lie to their customer base

gb Offline BigMatt

Reply #79 on: January 20, 2016, 03:03:39 AM

Trully revolutionary, different blade and new bit...

love how she is trying to sell all those (already few on skeletool) features. R&D need some fresh blood.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #80 on: January 20, 2016, 04:22:21 AM

Yup, further fuelling my distrust. SOG go  :oops: that shouldn't be in circulation when new product info sneaks out, Leatherman just blatantly lies. Says a lot about a company when they're so comfortable to lie to their customer base

Yes they lied, but it doesn't bug me since i'm sure the employee signed a confidentiality contract when employed. If they confirmed the existence of it before they were supposed to the employee would of lost their job.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline rescue4500

Reply #81 on: January 20, 2016, 04:57:38 AM
I demand that leatherman sell the glass breaker bit separately for my wave.. and my skeletool... and my bit kit... and my bit adapter for my super tool...... this may get expensive
If you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all. -Unknown Author

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #82 on: January 20, 2016, 05:14:04 AM
I demand that leatherman sell the glass breaker bit separately for my wave.. and my skeletool... and my bit kit... and my bit adapter for my super tool...... this may get expensive

:rofl: yep

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #83 on: January 20, 2016, 05:38:22 AM

Agreed. I need a few of those bits for sure.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #84 on: January 20, 2016, 07:19:21 AM

Agreed. I need a few of those bits for sure.

I want one too.

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #85 on: January 20, 2016, 07:24:49 AM
Wow, what better way than this to encompass 12 months of multitool bleeding edge innovation, Leatherman!

Your R&D department must be buzzing...hive of activity!
EDC and OCD. A wicked mix.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #86 on: January 20, 2016, 10:28:13 AM
Disappointing.  :td:
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #87 on: January 20, 2016, 11:01:10 AM

Yes they lied, but it doesn't bug me since i'm sure the employee signed a confidentiality contract when employed. If they confirmed the existence of it before they were supposed to the employee would of lost their job.

Point taken Cap'n, but regardless of the reasoning, I still think it paints a bad picture when a supposedly customer facing company is caught lying to it's patrons. There's a big difference between someone there volunteering strategic marketting or development news, and having the integrity to hold your hand up and acknowledge albeit downplayed a data leak or other issue.

I'm not trying to colour other people's views, but it leaves a bitter taste with me. It's certainly not how I would have handled it, and I'd value having the company being trusted on it's word more highly than keeping a new product secret for an extra month.

It's not an anti-Leatherman stance either, in case anyone thinks "Al's at it again"  :D. I'm not exactly known for singing the praises of SOG, but they handled it so much better, acknowledging a slip, and even sending out a few goodies to the guy that flagged it

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #88 on: January 20, 2016, 11:30:54 AM

Point taken Cap'n, but regardless of the reasoning, I still think it paints a bad picture when a supposedly customer facing company is caught lying to it's patrons. There's a big difference between someone there volunteering strategic marketting or development news, and having the integrity to hold your hand up and acknowledge albeit downplayed a data leak or other issue.

I'm not trying to colour other people's views, but it leaves a bitter taste with me. It's certainly not how I would have handled it, and I'd value having the company being trusted on it's word more highly than keeping a new product secret for an extra month.

It's not an anti-Leatherman stance either, in case anyone thinks "Al's at it again"  :D. I'm not exactly known for singing the praises of SOG, but they handled it so much better, acknowledging a slip, and even sending out a few goodies to the guy that flagged it
Ohh no, Al is at it again :rofl:

I understand what you mean but never forget:
Quote from: Noah Vosen
You know as well as I do decisions made in real time are never perfect.

If you look around in any company, you will have similar hick-ups (that's what this is to me) all the time... most just never come to light or are quickly forgotten. Ultimately, if that is the worst LM does it's still a great company.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #89 on: January 20, 2016, 04:14:33 PM
Dig the color of the "new" Skeletal but eh.  I'd also love one or 3 of those bits too. 
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $56.34
PayPal Fees: $2.74
Net Balance: $53.60
Below Goal: $246.40
Site Currency: USD