Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How important is the blade?

ca Online Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
How important is the blade?
on: January 18, 2007, 01:13:08 AM
I was thinking about the knifeless Fuse again the other day and it just doesn't really seem right to me.  I mean, maybe as a starter tool for a youngster, but other than that I really don't see the point of it, even though I almost always have a SAK with me as well.  I know many others carry a SAK or a folder as well and so I really wanted to know what everyone else thinks.

I imagine I could easily get by with a bladeless multi because of the SAK, but I can't help but wonder if I would want to?  What does everyone else carry, and how important is the blade on a multi to you?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Re: How important is the blade?
Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 01:58:08 AM
Knifeless multitools?  I dont know what I would do without a blade of some sort.  I carry my Wave almost everyday.  If I do not have the wave, I have at least 1 blade on me all the time including when I am sleeping! >:D  Most of the time I have the wave and the SAK or my Emerson, or the Strider, or the Cold steel, or the Spyderco, or the well, you get the Idea.  I probally couldn't cope without a blade of some sort. Personally, I use the blade on any multi or SAK more than any of the other tools.  I believe that a good larger bladed locking knife is the perfect compliment to a multi or a SAK.  The single bladed folding knife is easier to access in a pinch.     

The knifeless fuse is a good idea for todays "urban dwellers."  Did you know that in hospitals there is a code for medical charts and one code # is for "bagel related injuries."  I worked at a hospital for 5 years and I can vouch for this fact.  Some people never learn good knife saftey.  That aside, a knifeless multi my be more PC in some areas.  To me, going knifeless does not seem right either but some do not require and or want a blade.  For younglings it may be alright but they can still get cut with the scissors.  I recieved my first pocketknife when I was 5 from my dad.  The urge to carry at least 1 blade all the time has never left me.       

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 02:31:46 AM
I've been carrying a LM Wave and Charge mainly for the one handed access to the blades and for the pocket clip. I also carry either a SAK Farmer or a LM folder more for the extra screwdrivers than the blades on them.  I could easily just use the blade on any of the multitools I carry but it's more fun to have another "toy" around. 
"

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 03:04:05 AM
I use the blade lots on my multis...mainly to open packages, cut peices of (dirty) rags, poke tiny things (electronics mainly, when I don't have my official "pokey thing" within reach), cutting shrinkwrap and banding off skids, cutting duct tape...mainly dirty jobs I would never do with an expensive blade (although I don't even own a folder over $20  :-X )

It's one of the most important tools ever IMO..

[

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 03:26:50 AM
I'd rather carry a Fuseless knife than a knifeless Fuse.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline LatinoHeat

• The man with the plan and the really nice tan.
Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 05:14:53 AM
I carry a Wenger SI to compliment my Wave, but I originally GOT the Wave because of the one handed opening feature.  Many is the time where the Wave is the ONLY "knife" I carry, since it has everything I need, so, no, a knifeless multi doesn't sound right to me either.

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 04:41:48 PM
I may be the only one here who is like this :o but I don't always need a knife, granted my wave and Xti are major handy, and sometimes the blades on other multi's become usefull when you really need a knife and don't have one. They are not deadicated (cept on the new LM models) but a compliment to a knife you would already carry. Due to my job in the grocery retail business I don't have much use for a blade. Lately I have been only carrying a SeberTech M3 with nothing else and not having a need for a blade at all. Then, sometimes you feel naked :-[ and wish you had one.

David

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 05:47:41 PM
I don't need a blade on a multi.  The only time I don't have a SAK on me is when I'm in bed. in the shower, or otherwise naked.  When I need a blade I reach for that first.  The blade on the multitool I'm carrying is secondary to the SAK's blade, and rarely used.  I like the serrated blade of the Spirit though, because is gives me another option than the straight-edged SAK in my pocket.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 05:50:45 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #8 on: January 19, 2007, 05:14:35 AM
I guess a blade is not absolutely necessary on a multi.  Having thought of this for a day now, if I worked in an office or somthing I could get by with scissors instead of a blade.  But then again how would I slice my sandwich. :)

ca Online Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #9 on: January 19, 2007, 12:01:45 PM
Not too many others carry a seperate blade?  I am kind of surprised, but pleasantly so.

On many of the other forums you get guys pairinf a SAK or multi with a $500 custom tactical armor plated knife in tactical black with titanium tiger striping (never seen a titanium tiger...) and so on.  These guys spend so much on these fancy knives that they feel they have to use them for everything, except the dirty jobs where they defer to the lowly SAK or multi.

It's interesting that we have an almost completely different cross section of members!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: January 19, 2007, 04:26:25 PM
I've been thinking about it too.  I usually carry two tools, & I don't like to have duplication between the two (unless they have different size drivers or the like).  One of them I like to be a one-handed knife with screwdrivers, so I guess I don't always need a knife on the multi if the other tool is a SAK trekker or LM knife. 

I sometimes find the knife on a multi to be kind of unwieldy if the rest of the tool isn't very ergonomic in the hand.  I've almost dropped a multi a few times while using the knife because I hold it in a different way than when I'm using a screwdriver.  I prefer to use a knife that is well designed & fits the hand nicely.

Offline Travis Autry

Reply #11 on: January 19, 2007, 11:53:09 PM
I may be a lone voice crying in the wilderness, but to me, a multitool isn't a multitool without at least one blade.  While I generally carry an SAK or an old sheepsfoot Barlow in my right front pocket when away from home, I am much quicker to reach for the SwissTool that is sheathed on my belt.  On days at home, I often just have the SwissTool and leave the other knives on the dresser.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: January 20, 2007, 02:56:17 AM
I'd rather carry a Fuseless knife than a knifeless Fuse.

I guess I should have explained my statement; I only carry a multitool, nothing else. And while I occasionally do use the pliers, I'm using the knife blade nearly every day. The knife blade is necessary, the pliers are "just in case."

If forced to choose, I would rather carry a multitool without pliers than a multitool without a knife. (Like the knifeless Fuse)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Travis Autry

Reply #13 on: January 20, 2007, 03:18:29 AM
I would rather carry a multitool without pliers

Doesn't that approach blasphemy?(Unless one subscribes to the belief that all SAKs are multitools.)

I agree that I use the knife blades on my multis more often than I do the pliers.  Although, when I do need pliers I am very happy to have them.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: January 20, 2007, 03:23:45 AM
Doesn't that approach blasphemy?..............

Indeed it does!  :laugh:

Actually, all I'm trying to say is that I would not carry a multitool that didn't include a knife blade.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%