Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Compact Appreciation

windson · 704 · 55909

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Re: Compact Appreciation
Reply #660 on: February 03, 2022, 02:03:29 PM
The Compact is 2-Layer perfection.

00 Offline Jmoita

Reply #661 on: February 04, 2022, 01:27:44 AM
Been using it everytime since I got it, except for making holes in cardboard, there I use my Swisstool awl at home.

us Offline Swisster

• Ambassador of SAK's
Reply #662 on: May 18, 2022, 02:02:34 PM
Here’s my newest.    :like:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #663 on: May 18, 2022, 03:09:29 PM
Well I was part, since I posted like 6 post back but it kinda got modified, so technically it’s not compact anymore..
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #664 on: May 18, 2022, 11:10:00 PM
Well I was part, since I posted like 6 post back but it kinda got modified, so technically it’s not compact anymore..
JR
That's an interesting combination of tools. I like the addition of a real Phillips screwdriver. I'm not a big wood saw user, but maybe with the universal scaler instead... hmmm....

Nice job!
SAKs:
58mm: Bijou (3), Classic SD (7), Mini Champ Plus (mod), Alox Classic SD, Rambler (3), Companion
65mm: Wenger Esquire
74mm: Executive
85mm: Evolution S557, Traveler,
91mm: Champion "c", Swiss Champ (4), Explorer (3), Deluxe Tinker, Huntsman, Serrated Spartan/Weekender, Explorer Plus, Deluxe Explorer Plus (mod), Outdoorsman Plus, Champion "a", Champion Plus, Timekeeper Alarm, Golfer
93mm: Pioneer Alox

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #665 on: May 18, 2022, 11:34:37 PM
That's an interesting combination of tools. I like the addition of a real Phillips screwdriver. I'm not a big wood saw user, but maybe with the universal scaler instead... hmmm....

Nice job!
Thanks, I think the compact would have been just about perfect if they switched the corkscrew with the Philips, that would have been a simple mod since it would have been only one pin, but I figured since I was at it adding a saw would really make it spot on, the only thing I didn’t do was put an awl on the backside, I was originally going to do so but the width of an awl and saw are not the same so I would have had to put some very thin spacer and I was pretty much done in a few hours with the whole thing I just fig ahh this is spot on, and no rigs,, so I’ll just leave it, I could always redo it if I want to, but I’m so into alox, the FarmerX is my and as been my carry for almost 1-1/2yrs straight, I like how the blade has a little more beef to it, and especially the alox scales,,
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

ni-ulster Offline Jud65

Reply #666 on: June 30, 2022, 11:25:24 AM
I had a spare Compact and have always preferred the back Phillips to the corkscrew (mostly for comfort in hand rather than utility), so this happened.
We take what is offered...
Morituri Nolumus Mori

au Offline Echotech

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #667 on: June 30, 2022, 12:20:37 PM
Great mod Jud :like:

gb Offline HollowRivet

• New User
Reply #668 on: June 30, 2022, 12:54:53 PM
I'm late to the compact party having tried most other common models and always held off getting a compact (maybe the hype put me off?) But I got one the other week and have fallen in love. Such a useful toolset and I love having the bigger scissors

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #669 on: July 26, 2022, 07:39:44 PM
Finally jumped on the bandwagon  :tu:

* Compact 260722a.jpg (Filesize: 410.1 KB)
They don't like it up 'em!

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #670 on: July 26, 2022, 10:40:41 PM
Be careful Surge, they're addicting :D
Barry

00 Offline AZ_Hiker

Reply #671 on: August 05, 2022, 10:06:13 PM
I was just looking back at dates and it was right at four years ago this week that I started carrying a Compact on a daily basis.   I do swap it out occasionally for a Farmer or Fieldmaster if I think I need a saw for the day, but normally the Compact is in my pocket.  It’s done everything I’ve needed except for when I need a saw.  The pen has come in handy and I’ve even used the parcel hook on occasion.   It’s definitely less noticeable in pocket that the Climber I was normally carrying before.  My only real complaint with it is that the combo tool is not as good of a cap lifter & screwdriver as the standard one. 

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #672 on: August 06, 2022, 12:36:09 AM
 :iagree: 100 percent.  The Compact is a terrific EDC  :tu:
Barry

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #673 on: August 06, 2022, 03:08:47 AM
I was just looking back at dates and it was right at four years ago this week that I started carrying a Compact on a daily basis.   I do swap it out occasionally for a Farmer or Fieldmaster if I think I need a saw for the day, but normally the Compact is in my pocket.  It’s done everything I’ve needed except for when I need a saw.  The pen has come in handy and I’ve even used the parcel hook on occasion.   It’s definitely less noticeable in pocket that the Climber I was normally carrying before.  My only real complaint with it is that the combo tool is not as good of a cap lifter & screwdriver as the standard one.
I actually think the combo tool is more effective as a cap lifter than the standard, but definitely leaves something to be desired as a screwdriver.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #674 on: August 06, 2022, 05:37:14 AM
Definitely, especially in an era of Philips head screws and torx bits :facepalm:
Barry

us Offline Swisster

• Ambassador of SAK's
Reply #675 on: August 06, 2022, 06:57:58 AM
I'm ready for 2023 be the year they make the Damasteel L.E. knife a Compact with black carbon fiber scales. I will buy 2. I would love to see blue Stay Glow scales for the Compact. How is it that Victorinox only sells red scale versions when this knife is so popular.  ? Victorinox needs to bring back Stay Glow scales but in blue on about 3 to 5 models

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #676 on: August 07, 2022, 07:55:23 PM
Sunflower and matching Compact  ;)

* Compact & Sunflower 070822a.jpg (Filesize: 336.22 KB)
They don't like it up 'em!

00 Offline Grand_Banana

• No Life Club
Reply #677 on: August 08, 2022, 07:03:30 AM
The compact makes a great companion toolset to the PST.  Great office tools and low profile combo.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #678 on: August 08, 2022, 10:30:05 AM
The ukranian colours are just a coincidence? Either way, it looks great!

:cheers: :salute:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #679 on: August 08, 2022, 10:30:56 AM
The compact makes a great companion toolset to the PST.  Great office tools and low profile combo.

Nice setup! You got most, if not awl, of your needs covered!

:cheers: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

au Offline Echotech

Reply #680 on: August 08, 2022, 05:18:23 PM
:iagree:

au Offline Echotech

Reply #681 on: August 08, 2022, 05:19:01 PM
Very nice pic mate :like: :tu:

au Offline Echotech

Compact Appreciation
Reply #682 on: August 08, 2022, 05:22:33 PM
Some pics from my UK Tour with the lovely green Compact gifted to me by the superb bloke that is SurgeUk, a scholar and a gentleman :hatsoff: :salute:

Offline MrToolJunkie

Reply #683 on: August 09, 2022, 07:43:12 AM
Nice pics! I am really enjoying my Compact since it arrived. Slim profile and essential tools.

au Offline Echotech

Reply #684 on: August 09, 2022, 10:10:28 AM
Thanks MrTJ :tu:

Offline snosov

Reply #685 on: August 13, 2022, 07:53:45 PM
Hey!

Who know how recently made Compact's back scale looks from inside?
Does it has 2 slots?

C.3500.T4.10.jpg
* C.3500.T4.10.jpg (Filesize: 5.07 KB)

Or it has 3 slots, just one is not openned?

C.3500.4 backscale.jpg
* C.3500.4 backscale.jpg (Filesize: 46.85 KB)

Really wonder

BR ;)

00 Offline Grand_Banana

• No Life Club
Reply #686 on: August 26, 2022, 03:16:27 AM
I had some real compact appreciation today - One of my students needed me to sign a form after class, and of course she didn’t have a pen and I left mine in my office.  Except, voilà, the compact pen to the rescue.

ca Offline Jazz

Reply #687 on: September 10, 2023, 03:24:43 PM
When I first got the Compact, i didn't like it because it didn't work on Phillips screws. However, a little work with the Work Sharp knife sharpener and it works on Phillips screws just fine. Now I carry the Compact with me whenever carrying the Swiss Champ is inconvenient, like anywhere other than work.  :tu:

(Image removed from quote.)

Can you show what part you ground off, please?

br Offline Yanossauro

Reply #688 on: September 11, 2023, 05:51:18 PM
I've been carrying this guy in my pocket at home for three years now, and I'll tell what I think: It's thin enough that I don't feel it in the pocket when I go to sleep, but I can't make me take it outside.
I don't trust it.
Sure, it has a very good toolset for most at-home tasks, and I do like the combination of scissors and nail file, but still...
I like the small blade and trust the dedicated openers of the Climber more than the combo tool.
So, slap plus scales on a Climber and you get more for less money, that's what I tell beginners.

* 20200829_095011.jpg (Filesize: 180.34 KB)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2023, 05:57:10 PM by Yanossauro »
Victorinox lover.
Sharpening enthusiast.
With a thing fo Spartans.

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #689 on: September 11, 2023, 08:18:32 PM
I've been carrying this guy in my pocket at home for three years now, and I'll tell what I think: It's thin enough that I don't feel it in the pocket when I go to sleep, but I can't make me take it outside.
I don't trust it.
Sure, it has a very good toolset for most at-home tasks, and I do like the combination of scissors and nail file, but still...
I like the small blade and trust the dedicated openers of the Climber more than the combo tool.
So, slap plus scales on a Climber and you get more for less money, that's what I tell beginners.

Completely agree.
The Compact is a great pocket knife with scissors and a couple extra features, but it's sub-par as a multitool.
I'll take a Climber over it for EDC any day, or any 84mm and the scissors on my Minichamp any day too.
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59
Site Currency: USD
44%