Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How old is this Elinox?

kirk13 · 15 · 2660

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
How old is this Elinox?
on: November 23, 2015, 02:40:17 PM
Full refreshed after its spa bath,here's my 'new' Elinox Spartan,but how old is it? I'm guessing it's one of the last of its type?

There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: How old is this Elinox?
Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 02:43:03 PM

« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 02:46:49 PM by kirk13 »
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 02:44:07 PM

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 03:07:30 PM
1974-1976, so yeah one of the last "Elinox" stamped knives. These would have been followed up by "Economy" stamped knives in the late 1970s.

How thick is the tang of the blade? 2.25mm or 2.4mm? I believe the 2.4mm ones are slightly newer than the 2.25mm ones (still trying to get confirmation on that one).
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 03:15:10 PM by jazzbass »

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 03:11:18 PM
Thanks JB :salute:

Haven't checked the thickness,but I will do,and report back :tu:

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 04:23:31 PM
Beautiful Elinox John!!!
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 05:20:40 PM

Beautiful Elinox John!!!
+1

Very nice old SAK!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: November 23, 2015, 06:04:24 PM
Cheers guys :tu: The scales are a lovely shade of red(I need to retouch the photos to try get it closer),and arn't in bad nick. Took ages to get the gunk out though :ahhh

de Offline windson

• Observe - Evaluate - Control
Reply #8 on: November 23, 2015, 07:49:24 PM
Cheers guys :tu: The scales are a lovely shade of red(I need to retouch the photos to try get it closer),and arn't in bad nick. Took ages to get the gunk out though :ahhh

That looks very clean. What did you do to remove the gunk, and did you leave the scales on?

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: November 23, 2015, 11:33:42 PM

That looks very clean. What did you do to remove the gunk, and did you leave the scales on?
c

Couple of sessions seating in WD40, direct application of WD40 into the gaps between the springs and the tools,bit of scrubbing with a 3m pad,and getting some dental floss in along the springs.

I've not had the scales off so far

de Offline windson

• Observe - Evaluate - Control
Reply #10 on: November 23, 2015, 11:43:16 PM

c

Couple of sessions seating in WD40, direct application of WD40 into the gaps between the springs and the tools,bit of scrubbing with a 3m pad,and getting some dental floss in along the springs.

Thank you!

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: November 23, 2015, 11:53:15 PM

c

Thank you!

No worries :tu:

If the tools hadn't have loosened up,the scales would have come off,and the chassis would have gone into boiling water

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #12 on: November 24, 2015, 07:20:31 AM
shouldn't the corkscrew be fluted?    ???

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: November 24, 2015, 08:16:34 AM
shouldn't the corkscrew be fluted?    ???

Not for Elinox/Economy knives post 1973. From about 1959-1972 Elinox knives seem to use the same 5-turn fluted corkscrew as Victoria knives. Around 1973 the main Victoria/Officier Suisse line changes to 4-turn fluted corkscrews, and the Elinox line gets really crappy 4-turn pot metal corkscrews. You can tell these by looking at them - the metal has a goldish tint to it and it's not smooth. These suck, as you would expect pot metal corkscrews would, and break a lot. They last through the end of the "Elinox" era (73-76 ish) and into the beginning of the "Economy" stamped blades. They are dropped soon after for a higher quality forged 4 turn smooth (no flute) corkscrew that looks pretty much like the ones found on all knives post-1992. In fact, once the economy line knives started using standard "Officier Suisse" blades around 1980, the scales and the the smooth corkscrew are the main differentiating features between the standard and economy lines until the smooth corkscrew was introduced across the board in 1992. 

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #14 on: November 24, 2015, 08:48:01 AM
Many thanks  :D    :salute:
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD
 12%