Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Style blade point

se Offline Mextreme

Style blade point
on: January 13, 2016, 09:58:24 PM
I have à Style CS that I really like as EDC key chain size. However when The blade is closed The tip is not really covered but protudes ever so slightly. Just enogh to be anoying. Ive cut My fingers on The tip when reaching into my pocket.
I'm not sure it shows in The photo but anyone have input if there's something to do/bend/tweak to improve?
IMG_2744.JPG
* IMG_2744.JPG (Filesize: 193.79 KB)

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Re: Style blade point
Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 10:03:59 PM
Oh man. That's a bummer. I assume you do not want to send it in to Leatherman because of cost and such correct?

As far as fixing it. I assume around the tang on the side that fold in there is some sort of protrusion on the tang? Something has to be keeping it from closing all the way and my guess would be that. Can we get some pics of the tang with the blade open?
I'm the milk man!

00 Offline WWW

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 11:01:34 PM
As cap very well put, there is either something in the  backspring/blade tang area. Or the blade was not cut to proper size. If there is nothing (dirt, chips etc) on the tang, you could grind the ricasso area until the tip settles down inside the handles, but assuring the edge does not touch the inside of the handles. Or, IMO easier, just grind the tip.

se Offline Mextreme

Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 07:57:13 AM
Thank you guys.
I can send it back. The general agent here will probably exchange it, no need to send overseas. The warranty service is excellent, just thought it was minor and maybe had a quick fix.
I can see that grinding The tang a bit could fix it but would be a delicate operation and if I screw up it would probably void the warranty.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 08:01:01 AM by Mextreme »

00 Offline WWW

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 14, 2016, 12:33:28 PM
That is a good point, if you were to have a more severe problem (knock on wood) in the future you would have to figure it out by yourself.

se Offline Mextreme

Reply #5 on: January 14, 2016, 02:44:01 PM
Solved! Actually I looked at it again and found the folded metal that works as a back spring was a little higher inwards so that it catches the tang in a higher position than it should. I could bend or grind that part but I realized there was room for a spacer so that the blade would end up a little further out.
I dismounted and added the spacer and now the blade is deep as it should and no risk of cutting myself reaching into the pocket.
For a more serious blade i might not have gone for such solution but it wotrked perfect in this case.
I´ve added (lousy) photos of the result and the tool dismounted.

IMG_2745.JPG
* IMG_2745.JPG (Filesize: 137.98 KB)
IMG_2747.JPG
* IMG_2747.JPG (Filesize: 214.8 KB)
IMG_2748.JPG
* IMG_2748.JPG (Filesize: 238.56 KB)

00 Offline WWW

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: January 14, 2016, 04:17:03 PM
Glad to hear it all went fine!!!

ca Offline JP

Reply #7 on: January 14, 2016, 06:40:12 PM
I have a hard time opening the blade on mine. I intend to add another nail nick closer to the tip.

Good fix by the way!!

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

se Offline Mextreme

Reply #8 on: January 15, 2016, 10:04:21 AM
I have a hard time opening the blade on mine. I intend to add another nail nick closer to the tip.

Good fix by the way!!

They could change the position of these "decorative" holes and the nail nick, or better yet get rid of the holes. They serve no purpose and only collect gunk.
You could try to losen the pivot torx screws a bit. I did that and it opens easier. It actually also helps the tension/bar or backspring to snap the blade in both open and closed position so the blade snaps better and the same time as it´s easier to open. However it is a balance so that you don´t end up with a lot of blade play.
Use red Loc-Tite that hardens slowly to fix the torx screw, so you have time to find the right tension before the Loc Tite hardens and then let it cure without touching for a good hour.Red Loc Tite is quite soft so you can easily do it over if you get it wrong.
Mine is a lot better now in all aspects.

00 Offline WWW

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: January 15, 2016, 12:28:50 PM

Good fix by the way!!

Another option, though not reversible, would be to grind the blade tang a bit. You can tune how much tension you want when it opens or when it closes.
Drawing1-Model.jpg
* Drawing1-Model.jpg (Filesize: 12.36 KB)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 12:30:52 PM by WWW »

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: February 01, 2016, 04:58:19 AM

Good fix by the way!!

Swap it for a PS4 blade, nail nick is further up.

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: February 01, 2016, 06:54:24 PM

Good problem solving skills  :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $81.95