Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

pocket clip ideas (available in UK)?

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
pocket clip ideas (available in UK)?
on: December 21, 2015, 01:31:42 AM
I'm currently looking for a UK source for deep carry pocket clips, suitable for fitting to a 91mm SAK, and I'm drawing a blank  :-\ I'd even consider buying a cheap and nasty knife, poaching the clip and throwing the knife away if it was suitable and cheap enough. I'm looking for UK sources so I can possibly have a look at doing a mod over the festive break, so delivery time is a factor.

Any ideas?

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline lemo

Re: pocket clip ideas (available in UK)?
Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 01:42:28 PM
You could maybe trim and flatten out the rounded part of a torch (flash light) pocket clip.

http://www.myfenix.co.uk/fenix-ld02-pocket-clip

http://www.myfenix.co.uk/fenix-ld10-pocket-clip

I have a couple of spare clips from this cheapo eden knife. They are not deep carry but maybe could be reshaped. Not sure if they would just snap if you tried to bend them though  ???
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 02:10:19 PM by lemo »

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 08:58:34 AM
Interesting ideas! I'll give those some thought  :cheers:

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 09:24:24 AM
The Enzo Birk/PK70 clip looks suitable.  Nice deep carry and good retention on my PK70.  Maybe not in the UK though. :think:
http://brisa.fi/enzo/enzo-folder-mechanisms-parts/birk-pk70-clip.html

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 10:28:40 AM
That looks PERFECT!!!  :ahhh :ahhh

Thanks Chris. I think I might snag one of these and track down some M2 nuts and fix them captive on the inner face of the scales  :salute:

us Offline Oclip

Reply #6 on: December 23, 2015, 01:59:03 AM
50', I know you are asking for something in your home country, and time is of the essence. (I see you have your answer already!!, It took me so long to think and write this, that you got it!,  but no worries, I needed to do/write this for myself, and how I'm going to do it! Maybe all these ways will be good for everyone!)  But anything worth doing. is worth doing right, eh? Twiliter or TW, answered this question for me a few days ago, under the other "SAK Pocket Clip" thread on the "Knights" forum, by suggesting the Swiss Bianco clip. TW, thanks, it's just what I asked for, but after some research, and looking at how it is exactly built and installed, I decided it wasn't what I wanted, exactly. (This is the Designers Curse!) A poor example of Swiss Design, but an excellent execution of "blunt force" design IMHO! Outside, it looks "clunky" but totally functional. I don't like the outer clip-screw plate, above, and outside the scale, for a number of reasons, but it is, in my opinion, the best SAK clip out there.......till I just saw the PK 70 clip presented to you, above.    But really the S/B clip is a nice unit, and I especially liked the nut plate inside the scale. Wanted to buy just that, but easy for me to get made, or make myself. That would be the basis for a nicer looking deep-clip mod such as using the PK 70. Then that might approach "Will Design". In that end, I see  (only speculation at this point) where I could combine the PK 70 clip with the S/B inside nut plate (or S/B type nut plate inside the scale), into a deep carry subtlly mounted, simple and classy clip on my OHT, and possibly any other appropriate SAK. Instead of the nut plate,  "Chicago Screws" or T-nuts could be easily used inside the scale. Kinda like a helicoil in a VW case, or a nut-cert. Even a nut and a washer would work! This might become the "de facto"  "go to" clip design for SAKS and modders across the board. In my mind, anyhow. Gimmie some hands on!!! I don't discount "simultaneous discovery" or that this has already been done, but I haven't heard word of, nor seen this in my "nubie research" here, so far. Going in this direction of thought is for every- and any- one, Have at it!!!

However, in between all this, this morning, I just ordered a wire clip for $8 shipped, from Spyderco. Because we're in the Christmas Zone, their "Expert Clip Lady", Christie, will send me two choices of Spyderco wire clips, to choose from. She was very nice, and I told her I wanted to use it on a SAK. Unlike Benchmade, who require proof of your ownership of their brand knife, and won't sell you a clip separately, Spyderco will sell any clip, to anyone, for any purpose, at what I consider to be a reasonable price. She "smiled" at my SAK ap. And I initially had another idea in mind with it. But when I got my OHT "Onescale" in my hands and got to thinking, my mind made one of those leaps of faith, which are so necessary to the creative process. Soooo....I usually "incorporate"  the opportunities at hand in what I do/design. Seeing the inside reinforcing ribs, on the inside of the SAK scales, for the toothpick and tweezers, as I did my research on the S/W clip inside nut plate. (ie never having one actually in my hands---yet), I realized there is an un-, and under-utilized "purchase" for a clip, (and esp on the classic and other smaller SAKs which could use a "one wire clip").. In my mind, I speculate, (and remember, I said that "anything imagined can be created!),  that I could add a right angle  extension on one tip/side,  to the Spiderco double wire clip, stick that thru the end hole and along the full length of the 2 T/P-tweezer plastic ribs inside the SAK scale, maybe with a crook on the end so it will index itself in at the  inside end of this inside slot. I would then "attach". actually just "index",  (and possibly also "wallow out" two long slots in the outside of the scale for indexing, as Spyderco does), the other normal short tip end of Spyderco's "double wire" clip in a hole drilled in the outside, at the top of the scale, kinda next to the T/P-Tweezer entry hole. outside and on the end of the scale. This might even function with no fastener through the scale trapping the two wires under the head of the fastener, as designed by Spyderco. Then again, it might require one fastener thru the SAK scale to hold and index both ends of the wire clip, like Spyderco does. Let me get my hands on all this! Hard to explain---You'll have to see it. It would be Titts if it could be installed without removing the scale. Then, anyone can do it. Maybe I should get Spyderco to make these for me, and Des. Patent the form, and sell it to Vic?    Hold on now Will----I ain't there yet!   

I authorize/encourage all you guys/gals, and "Knights  of the 'Red Table'",  to try a free, beta test. Do anything you want, between the Toothpick/Tweezer hole, and the clip idea. Have at it! My biggest question with this wire-clip-toothpick-hole idea, is "Will the scale hold the knife? Esp thru Will's "Pre-Use Abuse"!?! I know the wire clip will be very secure on the scale, but,... will the plastic bushing "bosses" on the scale, hold the rest of the knife on the brass bushing.pin assy's?   Probably depends on the weight of the knife, and the condition of the interference fit, between the brass bush, and the plastic boss. BYW, Any of you guys that are this "deep" in my "tirade" here, can you tell me how to install/un-install the nylon or cellidor SAK (OHT) scales? Without damage, like the "factory".   Somewhere, I picked up that heat was involved. Does that mean boiling water? And a vise?  That's probably why I lost the scale in the first place, it was very hot here in the Desert that day, when the tire exploded, and knocked the OHT 20' out of my hand! See my other post for more details, or more BS, if you will!

I also have some other speculative possibilities for the use of this particular style clip. Just let me get my hands on a 111mm SAK scale/s, and a Spydie wire clip. I'm motivated to work with Spyderco because of their price/availability and variation in their designs. You all, also feel free! Maybe they would build that "modular SAK" of my dreams!?! Maybe just one part!?! I think I can do it, therefore I can!!! Time will tell, seeing is believing! If you can't understand all this, don't bust a gut, I will build this, or attempt at it. This is mostly written for me. It helps me refine my ideas. Thanks for letting me "indulge" my mind on your site!

My use of my OHT, is that it sits in a/my belt pocket, I call it a "Pinch";     "Pocket,   Pinch,   Belt,   one each,    Mil (Will) spec,   O.D."      During the day, and when I use the knife, in winter, like now, it's under layers of clothes, or when I continue to use it on some project, I clip it into my pocket or belt, or somewhere on me. I need more than one or two ways to carry my EDC "load".  Yeah, I guess I'm one of those pocket-liner-carrying-nerds of the Sixties. With no wife, er... ah... life, like many of you. ....Another day of my no life, flies by!!

The deep carry aspect fits well with my personal "style" if you will, and my use, and my pinch. The pinch doesn't need a clip on what it contains and holds on my belt, but it just makes the SAK more secure and versatile for me. I wish I could share the "Pinch" with you guys, but it is very commercial, and very simple, and I don't want to break the rules of this site. I would however, share this "Pinch", with you in person.  My ideas above are a contribution to this site, if you guys think it is such,....... or maybe it is just me "thinking out loud", speculating, blowing hot air, or practice typing, Maybe it's all just BullSh$$!!!  Your call.

I would like to say here, that as far as the small Classic goes, if it has the "guides" on the inside of the scales for the toothpick/tweezers, and I also like the fact that they are centered on the longitudinal axis of the knife, I believe even more completely, that I can easily fab a "clip wire" to clip into the slot from the outside, with nothing further to do. Idiot proof. Of course, you loose either the tweezers, or the toothpick, (a small price to pay), ...or ...maybe not loose anything, but then, you would only have to drill a hole in the opposite end of the scale for either this clip or the "lost" T or T.  Just gimmie' some hands on!!! I personally would like to clip a small Classic on me somewhere. (Even in the shower)------- Gotcha!!!--------As you may know, my quest here began with trying to eliminate the Classic from my key chain, because I only use it for mostly, the scissors.  I wanted to find an OHT with a scissors, thru either modding, or an Outrider 54731, or a Malay ATM...(I really want an ATM SAK at a reasonable price---A good excuse to see the Malay "Peninsula"!!).  Just another reason to buy more SAKs!!!!         
I  got the Disease boys!              Thanx, Oclip            :salute:

Brisa PK-70 clip:  http://brisa.fi/enzo/enzo-folder-mechanisms-parts/birk-pk70-clip.html
Swiss Bianco clip: http://www.swissbianco.com/products/sak/accessories/111mm-sak-pocket-clip-kit-detail.html 
And the Spydie wire clip:  https://www.spyderco.com/pix/products/large/C130G_L.jpg

PS. It's easier to read and understand, if you "brake" for commas and punctuation. Kinda like "Legal-ese.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 02:07:17 AM by Oclip »
Simplicity--The Art--of Design.       "Design is an act of Misbehaving"  
        "Creativity is making the complicated simple."

"Extremely Fragile...
 Easily scarred...
 Slowly healed...
                               Our Ladies...
                               Our Desert...
                               Our Spaceship Earth..."

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #7 on: December 23, 2015, 10:42:53 AM

Thanks Chris. I think I might snag one of these and track down some M2 nuts and fix them captive on the inner face of the scales  :salute:

I looked again at the brisa site.  Minimum order is €24, so one clip won't be enough.  I'd be happy to go in on an order with you to make up to the MOQ (I'd like a couple of the clips to play with), or if you find a UK source let me know.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #8 on: December 23, 2015, 03:55:04 PM
50', I know you are asking for something in your home country, and time is of the essence. (I see you have your answer already!!, It took me so long to think and write this, that you got it!,  but no worries, I needed to do/write this for myself, and how I'm going to do it! Maybe all these ways will be good for everyone!)  But anything worth doing. is worth doing right, eh? Twiliter or TW, answered this question for me a few days ago, under the other "SAK Pocket Clip" thread on the "Knights" forum, by suggesting the Swiss Bianco clip. TW, thanks, it's just what I asked for, but after some research, and looking at how it is exactly built and installed, I decided it wasn't what I wanted, exactly. (This is the Designers Curse!) A poor example of Swiss Design, but an excellent execution of "blunt force" design IMHO! Outside, it looks "clunky" but totally functional. I don't like the outer clip-screw plate, above, and outside the scale, for a number of reasons, but it is, in my opinion, the best SAK clip out there.......till I just saw the PK 70 clip presented to you, above.    But really the S/B clip is a nice unit, and I especially liked the nut plate inside the scale. Wanted to buy just that, but easy for me to get made, or make myself. That would be the basis for a nicer looking deep-clip mod such as using the PK 70. Then that might approach "Will Design". In that end, I see  (only speculation at this point) where I could combine the PK 70 clip with the S/B inside nut plate (or S/B type nut plate inside the scale), into a deep carry subtlly mounted, simple and classy clip on my OHT, and possibly any other appropriate SAK. Instead of the nut plate,  "Chicago Screws" or T-nuts could be easily used inside the scale. Kinda like a helicoil in a VW case, or a nut-cert. Even a nut and a washer would work! This might become the "de facto"  "go to" clip design for SAKS and modders across the board. In my mind, anyhow. Gimmie some hands on!!! I don't discount "simultaneous discovery" or that this has already been done, but I haven't heard word of, nor seen this in my "nubie research" here, so far. Going in this direction of thought is for every- and any- one, Have at it!!!

However, in between all this, this morning, I just ordered a wire clip for $8 shipped, from Spyderco. Because we're in the Christmas Zone, their "Expert Clip Lady", Christie, will send me two choices of Spyderco wire clips, to choose from. She was very nice, and I told her I wanted to use it on a SAK. Unlike Benchmade, who require proof of your ownership of their brand knife, and won't sell you a clip separately, Spyderco will sell any clip, to anyone, for any purpose, at what I consider to be a reasonable price. She "smiled" at my SAK ap. And I initially had another idea in mind with it. But when I got my OHT "Onescale" in my hands and got to thinking, my mind made one of those leaps of faith, which are so necessary to the creative process. Soooo....I usually "incorporate"  the opportunities at hand in what I do/design. Seeing the inside reinforcing ribs, on the inside of the SAK scales, for the toothpick and tweezers, as I did my research on the S/W clip inside nut plate. (ie never having one actually in my hands---yet), I realized there is an un-, and under-utilized "purchase" for a clip, (and esp on the classic and other smaller SAKs which could use a "one wire clip").. In my mind, I speculate, (and remember, I said that "anything imagined can be created!),  that I could add a right angle  extension on one tip/side,  to the Spiderco double wire clip, stick that thru the end hole and along the full length of the 2 T/P-tweezer plastic ribs inside the SAK scale, maybe with a crook on the end so it will index itself in at the  inside end of this inside slot. I would then "attach". actually just "index",  (and possibly also "wallow out" two long slots in the outside of the scale for indexing, as Spyderco does), the other normal short tip end of Spyderco's "double wire" clip in a hole drilled in the outside, at the top of the scale, kinda next to the T/P-Tweezer entry hole. outside and on the end of the scale. This might even function with no fastener through the scale trapping the two wires under the head of the fastener, as designed by Spyderco. Then again, it might require one fastener thru the SAK scale to hold and index both ends of the wire clip, like Spyderco does. Let me get my hands on all this! Hard to explain---You'll have to see it. It would be Titts if it could be installed without removing the scale. Then, anyone can do it. Maybe I should get Spyderco to make these for me, and Des. Patent the form, and sell it to Vic?    Hold on now Will----I ain't there yet!   

I authorize/encourage all you guys/gals, and "Knights  of the 'Red Table'",  to try a free, beta test. Do anything you want, between the Toothpick/Tweezer hole, and the clip idea. Have at it! My biggest question with this wire-clip-toothpick-hole idea, is "Will the scale hold the knife? Esp thru Will's "Pre-Use Abuse"!?! I know the wire clip will be very secure on the scale, but,... will the plastic bushing "bosses" on the scale, hold the rest of the knife on the brass bushing.pin assy's?   Probably depends on the weight of the knife, and the condition of the interference fit, between the brass bush, and the plastic boss. BYW, Any of you guys that are this "deep" in my "tirade" here, can you tell me how to install/un-install the nylon or cellidor SAK (OHT) scales? Without damage, like the "factory".   Somewhere, I picked up that heat was involved. Does that mean boiling water? And a vise?  That's probably why I lost the scale in the first place, it was very hot here in the Desert that day, when the tire exploded, and knocked the OHT 20' out of my hand! See my other post for more details, or more BS, if you will!

I also have some other speculative possibilities for the use of this particular style clip. Just let me get my hands on a 111mm SAK scale/s, and a Spydie wire clip. I'm motivated to work with Spyderco because of their price/availability and variation in their designs. You all, also feel free! Maybe they would build that "modular SAK" of my dreams!?! Maybe just one part!?! I think I can do it, therefore I can!!! Time will tell, seeing is believing! If you can't understand all this, don't bust a gut, I will build this, or attempt at it. This is mostly written for me. It helps me refine my ideas. Thanks for letting me "indulge" my mind on your site!

My use of my OHT, is that it sits in a/my belt pocket, I call it a "Pinch";     "Pocket,   Pinch,   Belt,   one each,    Mil (Will) spec,   O.D."      During the day, and when I use the knife, in winter, like now, it's under layers of clothes, or when I continue to use it on some project, I clip it into my pocket or belt, or somewhere on me. I need more than one or two ways to carry my EDC "load".  Yeah, I guess I'm one of those pocket-liner-carrying-nerds of the Sixties. With no wife, er... ah... life, like many of you. ....Another day of my no life, flies by!!

The deep carry aspect fits well with my personal "style" if you will, and my use, and my pinch. The pinch doesn't need a clip on what it contains and holds on my belt, but it just makes the SAK more secure and versatile for me. I wish I could share the "Pinch" with you guys, but it is very commercial, and very simple, and I don't want to break the rules of this site. I would however, share this "Pinch", with you in person.  My ideas above are a contribution to this site, if you guys think it is such,....... or maybe it is just me "thinking out loud", speculating, blowing hot air, or practice typing, Maybe it's all just BullSh$$!!!  Your call.

I would like to say here, that as far as the small Classic goes, if it has the "guides" on the inside of the scales for the toothpick/tweezers, and I also like the fact that they are centered on the longitudinal axis of the knife, I believe even more completely, that I can easily fab a "clip wire" to clip into the slot from the outside, with nothing further to do. Idiot proof. Of course, you loose either the tweezers, or the toothpick, (a small price to pay), ...or ...maybe not loose anything, but then, you would only have to drill a hole in the opposite end of the scale for either this clip or the "lost" T or T.  Just gimmie' some hands on!!! I personally would like to clip a small Classic on me somewhere. (Even in the shower)------- Gotcha!!!--------As you may know, my quest here began with trying to eliminate the Classic from my key chain, because I only use it for mostly, the scissors.  I wanted to find an OHT with a scissors, thru either modding, or an Outrider 54731, or a Malay ATM...(I really want an ATM SAK at a reasonable price---A good excuse to see the Malay "Peninsula"!!).  Just another reason to buy more SAKs!!!!         
I  got the Disease boys!              Thanx, Oclip            :salute:

Brisa PK-70 clip:  http://brisa.fi/enzo/enzo-folder-mechanisms-parts/birk-pk70-clip.html
Swiss Bianco clip: http://www.swissbianco.com/products/sak/accessories/111mm-sak-pocket-clip-kit-detail.html 
And the Spydie wire clip:  https://www.spyderco.com/pix/products/large/C130G_L.jpg

PS. It's easier to read and understand, if you "brake" for commas and punctuation. Kinda like "Legal-ese.

I'm sorry, can you be a little more specific?...

:whistle:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #9 on: December 23, 2015, 09:18:30 PM
@50ft. Do you think you could drill and tap the brass pivot so you could screw the clip to it? That's might be the way to go for a more secure installation.
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

nz Online zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: December 23, 2015, 09:21:29 PM
Lol at santos.   :D

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: December 23, 2015, 10:12:59 PM

I looked again at the brisa site.  Minimum order is €24, so one clip won't be enough.  I'd be happy to go in on an order with you to make up to the MOQ (I'd like a couple of the clips to play with), or if you find a UK source let me know.

I hadn't noticed the minimum order Chris to be honest. I'll get an order in tonight or tomorrow (they'll prob not be shipping till after Christmas now anyway) and I'll add a couple of those clips in for you mate.  :tu:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: December 23, 2015, 10:13:28 PM

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: December 23, 2015, 10:16:53 PM
@50ft. Do you think you could drill and tap the brass pivot so you could screw the clip to it? That's might be the way to go for a more secure installation.

I don't have any taps Steve, but I think captive nuts should be secure enough. The scales will be carbon fibre. I've just got to decide whether to fit the clip then glue the scales on, or fit the nuts captive and fit the clip after peening through the scales (exposed pins or hidden pins)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: December 23, 2015, 10:18:29 PM
Oclip, I'll wait for pics - it's easier  :D

nz Online zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: December 23, 2015, 10:23:09 PM
Oclip, I'll wait for pics - it's easier  :D

How many pics do you think he will post?   :P

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: December 23, 2015, 10:26:42 PM
Better tell Micah to get a second server on standby  :ahhh

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: December 23, 2015, 10:29:17 PM
Better tell Micah to get a second server on standby  :ahhh

:rofl:

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #18 on: December 23, 2015, 11:00:42 PM

I don't have any taps Steve, but I think captive nuts should be secure enough. The scales will be carbon fibre. I've just got to decide whether to fit the clip then glue the scales on, or fit the nuts captive and fit the clip after peening through the scales (exposed pins or hidden pins)

Ahh carbon fiber! Captive nuts should work great. I've not heard of any problems with any of mine coming off.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: December 24, 2015, 12:34:45 AM
Splendid  :tu:

Did you go for hidden or exposed pins, and have you got any piccies?  :D

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #20 on: December 24, 2015, 01:02:48 AM

Splendid  :tu:

Did you go for hidden or exposed pins, and have you got any piccies?  :D

No pics sorry. On g10 and carbon fiber you can drill and tap those. But you don't have any :twak:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: December 24, 2015, 01:24:36 AM
Cheers Steve  :tu:

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: December 25, 2015, 02:44:51 PM
I´m late for teh party, but I think teh Böker Tech Tool clips might be a nice alternative, too. I don´t know if they are sold separately, but I for one probably will not use mine. It even comes with 2 screws only holding the clip, not the scales or pivots.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: December 25, 2015, 05:19:30 PM
They look quite similar to the ones from Brisa really. I now have a couple of the Brisa ones on order (big thanks to hiraethus for helping out, as Brisa's website wouldn't accept my email address as a valid one). I don't know when they'll arrive, but I'll update when I receive them.

Thanks for all your input guys  :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69