Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Rdub934 January Power Challenge - SOG PowerLock

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Rdub934 January Power Challenge - SOG PowerLock
on: January 01, 2016, 07:30:47 PM
Happy New Year everyone!!! I hope 2016 is even better than your 2015, unless your 2015 was just SO GOOD you couldn't stand anymore prosperity - in which case I hope you have some very minor setbacks ??? What are we talking about? :salute: OH YEAH!

It's time for the January SOG Power Challenge to get cracking! :tu:

Even though I am at work this holiday weekend, I am taking the opportunity to watch some college football bowl games (btw, ROLL TIDE!) and enjoy a beer :cheers: of the root variety (on duty=no alcohol) with my lunch. I decided to call the PowerLock into service to remove a stubborn twist-off bottle cap. Flawless victory!

"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Re: Rdub934 January Power Challenge - SOG PowerLock
Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 07:58:01 PM
A critical task for the PowerLock first thing this morning. It was more of a challenge for the V-cut. More so than with other multitool brands, I look at a SOG as individual tools, each with it's own limitations. I guess it's because SOG employs the same implements across multiple models of varying size and intended uses. So opening a can with the Pocket PowerPlier is the same as doing it with the PowerLock. Tightening a Phillips screw is the same with a PowerAssist as with a SwitchPlier 2.0.

I digress. We ran out of TP at my site this morning. So, however mundane of a task it may be, it seemed pretty critical at the time :rofl: I grabbed the spare box of TP out of storage and prepared to open it. Normally this task I would relegate to a blade without even a second thought, I could not do this in January 2016 - my PowerLock is bladeless. No problem, though. This type of tape is easily defeated with anything with a bit of an edge or point. My mind immediately went to the V-cut. However, it is not designed to puncture so I used the extremely pointy awl to penetrate and then used the V-cut to finish the job. Granted, the awl could have completely done this task but that would have been less fun.

Nuclear deterrence is assured :salute: :rofl:
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 08:04:43 PM by rdub934 »
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 03:56:37 PM
Opened up 3/4 dozen old paint cans to let them dry out, for disposal. Large flat driver made quick work of them :tu:

us Offline jlwatso1

Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 10:03:06 PM
Opened up 3/4 dozen old paint cans to let them dry out, for disposal. Large flat driver made quick work of them :tu:

Nice! I should do the same, but it's a lazy day... I'm thinking a nap sounds good.😴

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 07:26:44 PM
Vacuum at work really sucked this morning. By which I mean it was not sucking. Used the PowerLock to completely disassemble. The tube was clogged. Turns out, the tube can be removed by itself without tools by releasing two clips :D The vacuum no longer sucks. By which I mean it sucks again.

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 05:26:03 PM
I made it home from work and I wanted to come up with a more compact and flexible solution to carry the big PowerLock around while in street clothes. Enter the PowerDuo. Or, more specifically the confusingly awesome sheath it came with. Crappy (IMHO) tool that comes with a good sheath: good thinking SOG. Anyway, the PL fits pretty well - it is slightly too tall for it, but the closure flap reaches far enough over that the hook and loop has plenty of mating surface to grab onto. The sheath is a little overly wide for the PL, but not much. I was looking for a sheath that has a clip instead of a belt loop, since I don't always have a belt to strap onto and I wanted something that could be easily removed and reattached elsewhere without a lot of fuss. Mission accomplished!

The PowerDuo sheath fits the bill perfectly. The clip is really aggressive so there is very little chance of accidental jettison.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 05:32:57 PM by rdub934 »

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 05:29:54 PM
Nice!
Also, nice work on making something that does not suck, suck again. :think: Think I said that right.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 05:31:23 PM by ducttapetech »
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline jlwatso1

Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 08:24:04 PM

I made it home from work and I wanted to come up with a more compact and flexible solution to carry the big PowerLock around while in street clothes. Enter the PowerDuo. Or, more specifically the confusingly awesome sheath it came with. Crappy (IMHO) tool that comes with a good sheath: good thinking SOG. Anyway, the PL fits pretty well - it is slightly too tall for it, but the closure flap reaches far enough over that the hook and loop has plenty of mating surface to grab onto. The sheath is a little overly wide for the PL, but not much. I was looking for a sheath that has a clip instead of a belt loop, since I don't always have a belt to strap onto and I wanted something that could be easily removed and reattached elsewhere without a lot of fuss. Mission accomplished!

[Photo removed]

The PowerDuo sheath fits the bill perfectly. The clip is really aggressive so there is very little chance of accidental jettison.

My Powerlock came with a sheath that has a removable belt clip. Guess someone had the same idea as you...
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 78.47 KB)
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 89.9 KB)
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 84.49 KB)

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: January 05, 2016, 09:55:19 PM

[Photo removed]

My Powerlock came with a sheath that has a removable belt clip. Guess someone had the same idea as you...

SOG synthetic sheaths are top notch IMHO My PPP came with the mini version of your sheath :tu: Is that sheath big enough to accommodate the bit kit? I think I have seen some that can do that? My PowerLock came with the old Paladin leather sheath; it is super nice but really big, it sits high on the belt, and it has a belt loop as opposed to the clip. I like it when I'm at work but for off duty - I want compact and the ability to remove and replace without needing to wear a belt or needing to take my belt off if I am wearing one :salute:

us Offline jlwatso1

Reply #9 on: January 06, 2016, 05:42:34 AM
Yup, it is a little tight, but the bit kit fits too.

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: January 06, 2016, 03:27:27 PM
My daughter Leena wanted her reversible jacket reversed before going out. Of course that meant a tag needed to be removed. PowerLock scissors managed to take it out with no problem. I was worried though because SOG scissors are proving rather inadequate for a lot of tasks.

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: January 07, 2016, 04:32:22 AM
I wasnt sure the caplifter still worked so I needed to test it. Cheers!

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: January 07, 2016, 01:29:09 PM
You did test the brew too right?
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: January 07, 2016, 03:32:59 PM
The brew test was successful :tu: that stuff is pretty good

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: January 07, 2016, 05:43:47 PM
My Wife reported that she suspected a mermaid tail was in the kids bathtub drain. She said "this will be a good job for your new SOG!" and I could not have agreed more. I had to use the large screwdriver to remove the stopper. Then I used the the pliers to grab at the suspected missing mermaid tail. I removed what appeared to be a piece of leather or very heavy-duty paper. Also, of course, a bunch of hair. I decided to snake the drain while I had the stopper out. Alas, no mermaid tails

But the PowerLock got some more use and performed admirably.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: January 07, 2016, 06:31:51 PM
Nice!
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: January 08, 2016, 10:31:14 PM
I had to open some dishwasher soap but it had that annoying plastic on it. Even though is was perforated it ended too far from the edge to be useful. V-cut has the answer.

Decided to test the V-cut out a bit. Denim

550 cord

Nylon strap

I also tried it on a paper grocery bag. No problem but it was a messy cut - the paper wanted to bunch. Pics didn't turn out on that though.

us Offline jlwatso1

Reply #17 on: January 09, 2016, 02:21:37 AM
May have to get me one of those eventually.

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: January 09, 2016, 08:38:49 PM
I had a much more serious task pop up for the mighty PowerLock this morning. I had to post out to the field today and it was really cold: -5of on base. The rear door latch on my 06 Toyota Rav4 doesn't like cold weather. I went to close the door and the sickening "thunk" of steel latch contacting steel hook greeting my cold ears. I looked back to see the door bouncing back open. I cannot leave for three days with my vehicle, not just unsecured, but open to the sub-zero elements. No problem, though, I have encountered this problem a few times last winter and knew precisely what to do. I pulled the PowerLock from it's sheath and attempted to manually flip the latch open with the pliers. Attempted. The latch was stuck closed and no amount of force that I could generate was enough to free it. The Monarch 300 came out next to inspect the channel that housed the latch. I could see some gunk down in the bottom that the latch was catching on. I selected the awl for duty against the very frozen gunk. I eventually got enough of the gunk out of there that with the mighty pliers and compound leverage gripping power, I could finally pull the latch open. I closed the door, secured the vehicle, and jumped in the crew vehicle so that we could relieve our cohorts eagerly awaiting their chance to go home.

Unfortunately, the time crunch was severe enough that action shots were not prudent. So how about a glamour shot the PL jaws all dirtied up?

This was easily the hardest I have pushed my PowerLock. I was a little concerned for the awl as I was sort of using it in a leverage fashion to sort of scrape the frozen gunk out. But it was unfazed, and the tip and edges show no sign of this morning's task.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #19 on: January 10, 2016, 06:06:15 AM
Don't worry, that'll buff right out.

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: January 11, 2016, 04:32:51 AM
No work for PowerLock today, so I thought a picture of my work EDC set-up would do. Although, I did polish it up a little to get the crud off from yesterday. I decided to run the PowerDuo sheath at work since it has a nice channel for my light and it is a more compact. Seeing that my PowerLock is bladeless, I feel compelled to carry a knife just as an emergency backup. So I am still carrying the SOG-TAC Auto at work, but trying not to use it so as to preserve the spirit of the challenge :tu:

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: January 11, 2016, 09:36:16 PM
Had to call on the SOG Phillips today. First up, the kick-stop on our front door needed replacement. A Mk 19 40mm grenade launcher (77 lbs empty) got dropped on it early this morning and that was the end of that. No damage to the weapon and thankfully no injuries to the personnel that were involved. Luckily we keep a small stock of replacements on site for just such occasions. It went on easily enough. The original holes seemed to have gotten a little stripped out because the new screws never really tightened all the way up, so I am expecting to have to revisit this particular kick-stop again in the short-term future.

Also needed to tighten up some bolts on our dining room chairs. They are constantly working themselves loose, to the point that the chairs feel like they are going to disintegrate underneath you. US Gov't chairs - don't trust them :rofl: These are pretty big bolts, and probably more suited to a #2 Phillips, but the tiny SOG unit managed pretty well. It did require some pressure to keep it in, but not excessively so.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #22 on: January 12, 2016, 05:04:50 AM
The chairs are usually pretty good considering they are made by prisoners.  The brass door stop doesn't look like it was procured through proper channels.
 :whistle: :twak:

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: January 12, 2016, 06:00:43 AM
The chairs are usually pretty good considering they are made by prisoners.  The brass door stop doesn't look like it was procured through proper channels.
 :whistle: :twak:

Base Supply gets them from Ace! That's all I know :rofl:

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: January 13, 2016, 12:05:39 AM
Wooo intercoms! Helped hook some new intercoms up today. I had no idea what I was doing but the contractors told me what to do and I did it. Lol

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: January 13, 2016, 10:32:12 PM
Used the V-cut to free a new CRKT from captivity. Otherwise, nothing for the PL today besides just looking pretty while hanging from my belt.

Bam! M16-12ZE E.R. Found a good deal on Blade HQ and pulled the trigger. This will compliment the PowerLock nicely. But probably not until next month - I'd be too tempted to use it over my PL for cutting.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #26 on: January 13, 2016, 11:52:54 PM
Made me look too. That is a great price.

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: January 14, 2016, 05:05:03 PM
The awl on the PowerLock got some use opening our new TV. My 4 year old sprayed the old one down with about 16 ounces of water. We unplugged it and let dry out fow several days but when we turned it back on, nada. So... smart tv!

Also used the Phillips to attach mounting brackets to the back of the new unit but those pics didn't turn out.

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: January 16, 2016, 12:31:18 AM
Nothing major for the PL today. I used the V-cut to trim a straw for my daughter. Found some old USB cable :D Such a pleasure using the cutters on a PL

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: January 17, 2016, 12:42:48 AM
We will be having garlic herb deer chops, cheesy scalloped potatoes, and bbq baked beans for dinner tonight. The Powerlock is playing its part by opening the beans for us. The end result isn't pretty, but it works, in spite of all the hate the SOG can opener gets (deservedly so - clearly flawed, why not fix it?)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $56.34
PayPal Fees: $2.74
Net Balance: $53.60
Below Goal: $246.40
Site Currency: USD
18%