Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Carrying my WENGER BERNINA

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Re: Carrying my WENGER BERNINA
Reply #30 on: February 23, 2016, 09:04:19 PM
What a neat knife. am i seeing things, or Does that needle have a nail file section on it?

Oh, and can we see all the tools displayed, and maybe a width comparison to amire common SAK?
No, no file on the nail... just some texture for better grip.

Here you go...
Natural Enemies yet such a pretty pair

A Wenger and a Vic. Is that where Premiers come from? :pok:
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #31 on: February 25, 2016, 09:36:33 PM
Bernina vs. packaging

Needed my Bernina to open two packages. The first one was a standard package taped close I had to open at work (sorry no pictures). The rolling blade worked not very well (I didn't want to put a lot of pressure on it and if you don't the wheel does not turn well). So I decided to switch to the scissors ( you know open it up fully and use it as blade )...

:viking: Wenger scissors, you can't open them fully. This could actually have compensated for the absence of the blade... :viking:

But it's all good, the scissors on this SAK are intended to cut cloth, and we all know microserrated scissors are excellent for that. So, I tested the two side-by-side on the seam of some old trouser-legs. Well, thanks to the longer stroke-length the Victorinox outperformed the Wenger in this challenge.

Next up was a package at home. The package itself was perforated for easy opening but there were some plastic wrappings that needed to be cut off... Impossible for the cutting wheel but no challenge for the scissors.
bernina_20160225_23.jpg
* bernina_20160225_23.jpg (Filesize: 79.96 KB)
bernina_20160225_24.jpg
* bernina_20160225_24.jpg (Filesize: 160.46 KB)
bernina_20160225_19.jpg
* bernina_20160225_19.jpg (Filesize: 60.95 KB)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 09:37:40 PM by Etherealicer »
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #32 on: February 25, 2016, 09:41:35 PM

Today I noticed that the flap on my handy-sleeve is torn... now I really wished I had a small blade to undo the seam... oh wait

Less than a femtosecond later

Another femtosecond of work... now that was an easy win for the Bernina and I'm certain, no other SAK (except maybe its little sister) could have mastered this challenge with such ease.
bernina_20160225_20.jpg
* bernina_20160225_20.jpg (Filesize: 92.11 KB)
bernina_20160225_21.jpg
* bernina_20160225_21.jpg (Filesize: 82.44 KB)
bernina_20160225_22.jpg
* bernina_20160225_22.jpg (Filesize: 73.49 KB)

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #33 on: February 28, 2016, 10:03:34 AM
Another easy win for the Bernina

Had to exchange some name-plates...
bernina_20160228_25.jpg
* bernina_20160228_25.jpg (Filesize: 70.74 KB)
bernina_20160228_26.jpg
* bernina_20160228_26.jpg (Filesize: 69.68 KB)

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #34 on: February 28, 2016, 10:43:08 AM
Now, I'm done... over... what's next the Minathor?

Looking at the Tools
Rolling Blade: The rolling blade just rocks n' rolls. Thanks to the fact that it takes standard Olfa rolling blades you get easy replacements. Sadly, that is where the praise ends. The rolling blade is pointless (haha, funny :pok:) without a cutting board. And anyone who has cut fabric for tailoring any kind of clothing knows you want to do that on the biggest table you can find.

Jack "the Seam" Ripper and the other special tools: They all work well, but all are required for creating a dress while a tailor SAK IMHO should focus on helping you to fix your cloth when you are not at home. I mean non of them will help you if you rip your pants, if a seam gets loose or a button comes off. I think the greatest weakness of the Bernina is the lack of a needle (technically not so surprising because Bernina is a sewing-machine company, they don't want you to hand sew. Although, even with a machine you often have to finish by hand). The thread-mounting-device could be helpful but not without needle and thread.

The Needle: So simple, yet such a versatile little tool. Easily the best part about the Bernina.

FINAL CONCLUSIONS
The tool is a real Wenger, well built but slightly larger than it should be. However, it completely missed the target on tool selection. I actually wanted to gift one to my mom and one to my sister, but now I'm uncertain as I doubt they will ever use it. For me the Bernina is not a SAK but a FLCG (Funky Little Collectors Gadget).

Pro
+ Strong Needle
+ Great Built Quality
+ Cutting wheel with standard rolling blade that works really great

Con
- No sewing needle
- Really bulky for what you get
- The tools are not really meant for the pocket (no-one tailors a suit during his train commute).

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #35 on: February 28, 2016, 11:05:12 AM
Wait... more?
Yes, we need a better picture of E!s favorite implement.... THE NEEDLE (great book btw.)

Lenght: 60mm
Diameter: 1.5mm
bernina_20160228_27.jpg
* bernina_20160228_27.jpg (Filesize: 209.85 KB)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 11:06:16 AM by Etherealicer »

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #36 on: March 01, 2016, 06:32:47 AM
The lack of a sewing needle and thread is easily corrected.

Plenty of room in an ordinary SAK to fit them in too,  usually under the openers.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

R

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #37 on: March 01, 2016, 08:51:34 AM
The lack of a sewing needle and thread is easily corrected.

Plenty of room in an ordinary SAK to fit them in too,  usually under the openers.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk
No opener layer but you probably could fit it in the ruler (the needle that is).

Still, I remain in doubt that you would use the rest of the tools on the move. I can see people use the Bernina at home, especially the cutting wheel (not many people own one except one to cut pizza). But if you do lots of tailoring you will have the tools of the trade (probably cheaper and better. And by better I mean larger scissors).
So, even at home it is only for people who will use it once in a blue moon and for that it is simply too expensive unless you also cherish it as a funky gadget.

Pro
- Super compact tailoring tool that doesn't take a lot of storage space. Perfect for tailors living downtown Tokyo

Con
- Collectors box too large

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%