Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Vic Signature Lite/Midnight Manager LEDs vs dedicated key chain light?

us Offline sixracer

Hi All,
Been working on optimizing my keychain EDC. Sure I like to have a larger knife and flashlight on me but sometimes the key chain is all I carry (think summer, jeans, t-shirt). I have a True Utility NanoLite on my key chain as well as a Victorinox MiniChamp with the dim red LED light and/or a Vic USB. Usually go USB only for airplane flights.

I am trying to slim down since half the tools in the mini-champ are not very useful to me. I am leaning toward a Manager for the combo tool and pen which when combined with my NanoLite is a pretty solid key kit. My question is should I go for just a Midnight Manager (with the white LED) over keeping the NanoLite?

How does the NanoLite compare to the Victorinox 58mm "Lite/Midnight" models with the white LED?

Keep in mind goal here is a light, slim setup. Function by always having it on me.

The specs I can find don't really tell the complete story:
I know NanoLite is 4 lumen, 0.22 Watt. Not sure what cell.
I also know the Vic is 18,000 milicandellas which could be a range of lumens depending on the beam width. Vic uses a 1.55V 389E silver Oxide button cell.

--
Sent from mobile, please excuse typos

it Offline shadowrider

Not really an answer to your question, but I myself stopped carrying a flashlight since getting a phone with integrated torch function (little led light on top). Carrying a dedicated one now would seem redundant.

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Depends on flashlight i guess... My Led Lenser K2L blows the Midnite Manager out of the water, but the one you have there doesn't seem too strong... only a wee bit stronger than the Vic... maybe go to a store and mke a comparison?
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
I've tried all kinds of nano/mini lights and for my keyring carry/minimalist load I've settled on the Fenix E01. I've discarded all the photon like lights, mini button cell lights for the AAA Fenix. It's a little bigger but still doable on a keyring, but using a very common low cost and easy available battery that I can get at any country store or quick mart. I got tired of the harder to get button cells that don't have the long run times or easy availability. As for the light on my cell phone, it just does not have the throw that a real quality designed dedicated flashlight has.

The Fenix E05 is way more powerful and the same size as the E01, but doesn't have the insane run time of the E01. And that is another problem with the cell phone light; it eats battery charge like an alcoholic with a bottle of cheap wine. Use your cell phone light for q while then try to make a phone call when it really needs to not loose a signal! Been there, NOT doing that again.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 04:02:45 PM by cbl51 »
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline lichan

Look into the NIteCore Tube light. It's small and light and puts out a variable light from 1 to 45 lumens (double click to get to 45 lumens quickly) has memory and is rechargeable via mini-USB. It can be had for about $9.

it Offline shadowrider

Love that keyring leahter sheat, cbl51! I dunno why I never thought of it and let the mini SAK get all scratched up. Is that a DIY type job or can they be bought somewhere?
Sorry for the thread hijack!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
I also got away from button cell lights in favor of a AAA light for my keychain duty.  I dont know how much light you need so the SAK maybe usable.  I however personally prefer a dedicated light.  I use a Thrunite Ti which is awesome, I also have a 4/7s Atom which is also a terrific light and super small.  There are so many AAA lights with some terrific output and modes.  Good luck.   

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Love that keyring leahter sheat, cbl51! I dunno why I never thought of it and let the mini SAK get all scratched up. Is that a DIY type job or can they be bought somewhere?
Sorry for the thread hijack!

Thanks, it's a DIY job from a scrap of leather I had around. It solves a host of sins, as in the SAK doesn't get banged up, and it's soooo easy to just pull the classic out and use it without having to unhook even a quick release fastener. Very, very convenient! This ons is several years old, and it may be time to make a new one soon.
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD
 12%