Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Should a fisherman buy a MP600 Pro Scout ?

us Offline ksdog

Should a fisherman buy a MP600 Pro Scout ?
on: April 05, 2016, 11:44:04 PM
I already have a leatherman St300, but can't help but think the flicky pliers on the gerber would be an assist in unhooking fish. I like my supertool , however, the benefit of having fast access to pliers would be a bonus. Question is....will all the other tools on the Pro Scout measure up to the usefulness and quality of the super tool ?There will be times that the MT will be used on hiking/camping/fishing adventures, so I am needing a tool does it all.

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Re: Should a fisherman buy a MP600 Pro Scout ?
Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 12:52:34 AM
My vote: you should get a Pro-Scout. I don't have a Pro-Scout, but I have the basic MP600 and like it a lot. It will fall a little bit short to the ST300 in some ways, but the flicky-pliers are a HUGE asset that sort of makes up for the stubby drivers, short knife, etc... The scissors are great on the MP-series tools. The drivers may be shorter than the Leatherman, but they are well executed, so they work. I hear the blade exchanger on the pro-scout isn't awesome, but it still gives you some saw-capability so it works. The file on the Gerber isn't as good as the LM file, but it works. Build quality is execellent, IMO. The MP600 is as solid as a tank - it doesn't feel like a Leatherman, but their is no quit in the MP-series tools. I think the MP-series would stand up to anything the best LM tools would stand up to, and maybe more (I'm thinking moisture, especially)

Also, at MTO, if the question is a "should I buy" type question - the answer is yes, regardless  :D
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 12:54:40 AM by rdub934 »
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 02:07:53 AM
What is this "should I buy" that you speak of :think: Never heard of it :D

I am not much of a Gerber guy but what rdub says is spot on :cheers:

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 03:36:38 AM
The MP600 is also available in the "fisherman" model with extra long needle nose pliers (but hard to find and usually quite expensive), plus it is easy to swap the components in all the MP600 models so you could customize the tool load to what you need.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 01:24:11 PM
I think the MP600 is a pretty good option for a fishing tool. The one-handed pliers will almost certainly be a big help removing hooks, and there's not much you do can do to stop it from functioning. The only real advantage in the Pro Scout (for fishing) is the scissors, which are quite good. The other tools get the job done, but I do recommend the Gerber bit kit to extend the length and versatility of the drivers.

us Offline ksdog

Reply #5 on: April 10, 2016, 05:13:38 PM
I now have the mp600 pro scout in hand. Bought with the bit kit. I think I am going to like it. Thanks all.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%