Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What sunglasses do you wear ?

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
What sunglasses do you wear ?
on: April 10, 2016, 04:03:41 PM
Do you prefer 1 good pair or multiple cheap pairs ? I have 2 Raybans for work ,being out on the water water most of the day I need good sunglasses as cheaper ones just don't cut it. I'm thinking about a pair of Costa Del Mar's  ( Zane )

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: What sunglasses do you wear ?
Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 11:17:31 PM
I tend to stick to cheapo sunglasses for the most part since I tend to lose or break them.  I do have a decent set of Hobie sunglasses that never come out of the Jeep.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 11:19:12 PM
Oh yeah, I did have a few pairs of Oakleys over the years that were ok, but I never saw the reason for the huge price tag.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 11:22:26 PM
I need a decent pair, cause not only do I need the lenses dark but the sides covered up, do to sensitive eyes and medical, so I have a good pair of mountaineering glasses that have leather on the frames to cover up the sides..
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 11:24:48 PM
Oh yeah, I did have a few pairs of Oakleys over the years that were ok, but I never saw the reason for the huge price tag.

Def
I got a pair of them, but I miss my original pair of them, I forget what they were called, like eye jackets? They were almost like a pair of swimming goggles?
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 01:38:14 AM
Sounds kind of like the ones I had, although for a while they all looked like that, didn't they?

Def

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 02:11:07 AM
Sounds kind of like the ones I had, although for a while they all looked like that, didn't they?

Def
Pretty much but these were very unique.
JR

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: April 11, 2016, 02:37:17 AM
Oakleys only for me.

Started when I was in the Army as they were the only approved pair that fit my round face. We had to wear them for the ballistic protection.

Now I just couldn't see myself wearing anything else.

Here is a pocket dump picture from my last Afghanistan deployment showing two pair of them. Clear ones are for night time or when there is the possibility of a fight.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: April 11, 2016, 03:19:23 AM
I'll tell you one pair I do miss are my old Rx ones. Idk what brand they were but it was a good metal frame, and the Rx part were suppose to be a bullet proof glass with something else, all I know was all together they were over $600! But all I had to pay was like $50.. Needless to say the glass was pretty much bullet proof, one day, we got a load of cut tree, and it needed to be split, so one guy was using a sledge and a wedge, he struck it so hard a piece of the wedge chipped off and hit me right in the glasses, and well, it got a scratch, that's it..  Thank god I had them on or else I probably wouldn't have an eye!
JR

ar Offline wmoco

Reply #9 on: April 11, 2016, 05:21:05 AM
I wear these.
Aren't expensive and I can use it for everything: driving, walking in the city, walking at river side, climbing (really), cycling...
Also they are SO cool, man...

http://www.reefeyewear.com/eng/129.html
Nothing fancy to write here...

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #10 on: April 11, 2016, 07:35:50 AM
I have two pairs of Costa Permits, one with a dark lens and one with a more orange brown set.
One has glass the other their plastic lenses. 

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: April 11, 2016, 10:07:29 AM
My eyes are pretty bad so I only wear prescription glasses which makes sunglasses a pretty expensive thing. I tend to take ones that cover the eyes good for good protection and choose a rather classic frame over something fashionabel as I try to keep them until I scratch them badly, get rich or my eyes get worse.
I see the advantages of glasses covering the sides, too like oakley but having lenses made for a pair of good sports/shooting sunglasses will be even more expensive.

bavaria Offline achindoon

Reply #12 on: April 11, 2016, 11:28:51 AM
I have the same problem of being myopic and needing corrective lenses. Therefore i had a few pair of really cheap sunglasses from the internet with corrective lenses. But since my eyes got not better or worse the last few years i decided to get a pair of Oakley RX Sunglasses.

After a long time of searching and testing i bought a matte black Oakley Straight Jacket with OO Black Iridium Polarized lenses. And they are GREAT!  :D

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: April 11, 2016, 01:16:51 PM
I have two pairs of Costa Permits, one with a dark lens and one with a more orange brown set.
One has glass the other their plastic lenses. 

(Image removed from quote.)
Do you prefer the glass over the plastic ? I'm going with the blue mirrored polarized glass lens

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #14 on: April 11, 2016, 01:25:25 PM
Do you prefer the glass over the plastic ? I'm going with the blue mirrored polarized glass lens

I do.
The glass is a little heavier but does not scratch. My second pair were glass so that tells it all.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #15 on: April 11, 2016, 01:57:42 PM
Mainly LIDL's sunglasses

I have a pair or two of branded ones, but the LIDL ones are so cheap, I just have some in the car, for cycling, etc.

I also have tinted shooting glasses, if that counts.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: April 11, 2016, 02:16:46 PM
Back in my teens I had a cheap pair that had a mirror on the inside, so no one would ever know that you were looking back, I thought they were so cool, that was until I left them on the roof of the car and they fell off and someone ran them over :(

Yet I saw some biker who pulled in next to me who had an even cooler pair, they were diamond plate frames, I asked him who made them and I think he said they were icicles, I sooo want a pair!
JR

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: April 11, 2016, 10:27:51 PM

Got two Oakleys for cycling, a Maui Jim for driving and several no branders stashed in the cars for days I think it's not going to be sunny but I was wrong. Sunglasshut is our client and we are offered deep discounts upto 5 pairs from time to time and I got my Oakleys and Maui Jim from them, if not I would have never considered them. They are definitely nicer than the no brands, especially the lenses. The Oakleys have nice features like interchangable lenses and venting holes so they don't fog.

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: April 12, 2016, 04:02:48 AM
Never was a big Oakley fan , I do have a pair of Ducati Gas Cans . They never seem to fit my face correctly. I had a pair original Frogskins back in the late 80's. Ray Ban has been my SG of choice in recent years but think I'll try the Costa's next :tu:

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #19 on: April 12, 2016, 06:09:30 AM
I wear a cheap pair, because I wreck or lose sunglasses like crazy. No sense spending $$ on something that's only going to need replacing fairly quickly......
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 06:29:23 AM by jerseydevil »
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: April 12, 2016, 06:17:23 AM
Generally I go with the cheapest polarized ones I can find.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #21 on: April 12, 2016, 07:36:48 AM
Sunglasses choice is a polarising topic
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

nz Offline moonweasel

Reply #22 on: April 12, 2016, 01:23:53 PM
I formerly went by the idea of cheaper sunglasses, because I kept breaking them, not worth the extra money.
Turns out they were breaking because they were cheap.
I now have prescription sunglasses, one unknown brand of a more stylish to me at least design, (but not that cheap a frame) have lasted extremely well, even with me standing on them in work shoes a couple of times.
And another pair of Maui Jims, I wanted something that covered a bit more eye real estate, these guys weren't cheap at all, they have had some abuse, that for what they cost me I should take muuuuuuch better care of them, including me standing on them, using them as stand in safety glasses etc. They are cosmetically a litte beat up, but are still in very usable shape.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #23 on: April 12, 2016, 01:51:44 PM
Sunglasses choice is a polarising topic

Sigh.

no Offline Grathr

Reply #24 on: April 13, 2016, 05:14:49 PM
I had a pair of Oakley's that I used for over a decade. In the end the glass had started to bubble in the edges, and finally the lens broke.
Now I use a pair of Oakley Holbrook glasses that I bought in 2013 (I think) and some various cheapos that I have stashed in the cars.
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #25 on: April 17, 2016, 05:05:46 AM
I had a pair of Oakley's that I used for over a decade. In the end the glass had started to bubble in the edges, and finally the lens broke.
Now I use a pair of Oakley Holbrook glasses that I bought in 2013 (I think) and some various cheapos that I have stashed in the cars.

This is one of the main reasons I love my Oakleys. They last forever.

Had a pair on me when I caught some pieces of wood and concrete that had been blown up by a rather unfriendly rocket. I was not wearing them but had them hanging off my kit.

Badly gouged and the lenses were trashed but not penetrated. Put new lenses in them and used them for a number of years. Not sure where they disappeared too.

Have a pair of clear M Frames that have been with me through maybe three or four deployments. The rubber that goes over the frame is mostly melted but they are still going strong.

bavaria Offline Tomcat_81

Reply #26 on: April 17, 2016, 03:13:02 PM
My first really good ones were necessary due to half-a-year of orchardwork in NZ.
You better cover your everything there from the sun ;-), so no cheapos accepted.
Was a pair of good GUESS with optically excellent and polarizing lenses- they've been with me for more than ten years now and could tell quite a nice story .

Still needed some new ones, this time "Maui Jim". Polarizing again, only the broad rim is bad for driving a car ... will have to get some extra for driving.

Tomcat
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 03:14:04 PM by Tomcat_81 »
Sent from my Boconcept sofa, using the 'post'-button

Owing a beer to Whoey since 2016

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #27 on: April 17, 2016, 03:17:54 PM
My first really good ones were necessary due to half-a-year of orchardwork in NZ.

Nelson, Hawkes Bay or other?

bavaria Offline Tomcat_81

Reply #28 on: April 17, 2016, 03:22:41 PM
Hawkes Bay - Hastings. Apples, Fejoas and Deckbuilding.

Made as many mistakes as a bloody young work and traveller could make (mostly concerning my "car"), but you Kiwis always gave me a helping hand.
Just an amazing people in an amazing country!
Sent from my Boconcept sofa, using the 'post'-button

Owing a beer to Whoey since 2016

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #29 on: April 17, 2016, 03:28:18 PM
Hawkes Bay - Hastings. Apples, Fejoas and Deckbuilding.

Made as many mistakes as a bloody young work and traveller could make (mostly concerning my "car"), but you Kiwis always gave me a helping hand.
Just an amazing people in an amazing country!

Grandad lived between Napier and Hastings so I spent some time filling bins around there.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD
 12%