Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Why that particular red for the standard SAK scale?

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Why that particular red for the standard SAK scale?
on: April 11, 2016, 03:56:32 PM
Anyone know the reason for that choice of red? I like it BTW but was wondering. Same red in the Swiss Flag? Looks darker than the flag.

Here's a gratuitous pic of my modded Camper for a reminder of the red in question:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Re: Why that particular red for the standard SAK scale?
Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 04:29:19 PM
My understanding of the history is, the red was chosen for it's high visibility if dropped in the snow. Earlier SAK's before the age of plastic used a fiber material that was sort of red in color.
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 04:32:09 PM
That makes sense cbl.  :salute:

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 04:39:53 PM
I'd LOVE to have a seance and hear what Charles Elsner has to say about the modern SAK being available in all the colors of the rainbow, including 'glow in the dark' scales!
 :D
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 04:48:08 PM
I'd LOVE to have a seance and hear what Charles Elsner has to say about the modern SAK being available in all the colors of the rainbow, including 'glow in the dark' scales!
If enough of us concentrate at the same time on an image of him we could have a virtual seance............. I would like to ask him if he secretly stashed any original soldiers away, and where we might find them. Oh, and why the In-line awl isn't an off the shelf tool for the 91mm. Also I'd like to get his thoughts on the Swizer.........

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 05:45:35 PM
If enough of us concentrate at the same time on an image of him we could have a virtual seance............. I would like to ask him if he secretly stashed any original soldiers away, and where we might find them. Oh, and why the In-line awl isn't an off the shelf tool for the 91mm. Also I'd like to get his thoughts on the Swizer.........

Its because all new SAKs are required by Swiss law to have a bottle opener, and cannot have redundant tools.  Because of this regulation, 91mm SAKs without backside awls (and therefore no dedicated opener layer) by definition must have a combo tool where the inline awl could go. Only a few brave, handsome outlaw modders are willing to risk indefinite incarceration for violating this law.

It is also rumored this is why Wenger actually went out of business. The Swiss government finaly caught on to all those Ranger models they made without openers.
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 10:17:05 PM

Its because all new SAKs are required by Swiss law to have a bottle opener, and cannot have redundant tools.  Because of this regulation, 91mm SAKs without backside awls (and therefore no dedicated opener layer) by definition must have a combo tool where the inline awl could go. Only a few brave, handsome outlaw modders are willing to risk indefinite incarceration for violating this law.

It is also rumored this is why Wenger actually went out of business. The Swiss government finaly caught on to all those Ranger models they made without openers.
Yes! I KNEW I was a brave handsome outlaw. Everyone else is wrong!

Thanks for the intel S-LaughterMizzle  you handsome and brave outlaw. :salute:

us Offline ColoSwiss

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 07:27:41 AM
Al Jennings - Western outlaw turned silent movie star.

'The nastiest person I ever met.' -Colleen Moore

0000002028.jpg
* 0000002028.jpg (Filesize: 55.36 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $160.46
PayPal Fees: $9.45
Net Balance: $151.01