Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Another Tool Letdown

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Another Tool Letdown
on: January 27, 2007, 05:19:48 PM
Last week I had another problem that should have been pretty easily solved by having a few basic tools handy.  I had my EVO Grip S17 and Leatherman Surge- I should be able to handle just about anything, right?

Wrong.

The battery in my work truck needed to be replaced.  There was nothing wrong with the old one, but the boss got a new one anyway.  Not one to argue, I set about changing it, but for the life of me I could not get the bolt that holds the strap off.  It was too awkward to grab side on with the Surge due to the bracket around the bolt and the side of the truck.  there was no screw head to try and get with a screwdriver, and trying to get at the bolt with the tips of the Surge's plier head would have just destroyed the Surge.  The blunt nosed pliers of something like the SwissGrip might have been more effective, but probably not too likely as I would have been able to grab the bolt but wouldn't have had the room inside the bracket to turn it.

All in all I am thinking that the world needs more blunt nosed, rock solid multitools though.  The blunt-needle nose pliers found on many tools have the unfortunate problem of not working good for jobs that need either type.

I'm glad I was at the shop and not halfway between no where and just outside of no where when this happened.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Re: Another Tool Letdown
Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 05:46:15 PM
Would a Leatherman Crunch worked in your situation?
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 05:49:07 PM
Would a Leatherman Crunch worked in your situation?

Yah, good question. And what were you able to finally use to remove the bolt?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007, 08:30:22 PM
The Crunch may have worked- it may be one of the few tools that would have worked but it was annoying that an otherwise simple task couldn't be done by "any" multi.

I eventually ended up using a mechanic to do it not because of the multi problem but because the problem with the truck was worse than a dead battery.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline supratentorial

Reply #4 on: January 27, 2007, 08:59:30 PM
Pliers just weren't the correct tool for the job.  I carry a $20 Crescent socket set in my truck.  It's not SnapOn or MAC but it's good enough for emergency use. 

* crescent-1.jpg (Filesize: 56.59 KB)

* crescent-2.jpg (Filesize: 112.34 KB)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: January 27, 2007, 09:17:39 PM
Nice! An AutoTool and a socket wrench set; that combination should handle most minor vehicle repairs.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: January 27, 2007, 09:49:30 PM
I agree that pliers weren't thr ight tool for the job.  I also agree that the right tool should be used whenever possible.

I also think that a multi should be able to handle almost all (if not all) relatively simple tasks.  If I had been on the road when this problem hit I would like to know that the tools I am carrying will handle simple problems- that's why I carry the tools.  Apparently I need to carry more tools.  I'm not terribly adverse to that idea, but I doubt a set of sockets would fit on my belt all that well!

Def

Offline SoDak

Reply #7 on: January 28, 2007, 01:55:54 AM
To address the same issue defender desrcibed, I've gone to carrying an irwin 5wr visegrip. To me it's so much easier having a tool that will grip on to bolts insteads of just slipping. I know it adds weight, but after the amount of times I've used it, I decided it was worth the weight.

Offline preddan

Reply #8 on: January 28, 2007, 02:30:01 AM
   Would this solve your problem

A bluntnose/needle nose combo a leatherman prototype I found in before there was leatherman chapter 5. Great post j-sews.

* leatherman.jpg (Filesize: 46.22 KB)

Offline mkphc

Reply #9 on: January 31, 2007, 03:07:04 AM
In those suitations I like to use a BFH!
H

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #10 on: January 31, 2007, 03:49:42 AM
I can't agree more with what supratentorial said.  Multitools and SAKs are great when in need, but they really aren't always a substitute for "real" tools, especially when working on vehicles.  Please understand this comment from a guy who works on a 40-year old truck regularly (and carries a SAK nearly 24/7).  Also, keep in mind--that 40-year old truck is much easier to work on than anything made today.

Also, never underestimate the power and utility of a BFH!  :laugh:
- Terry

Offline mkphc

Reply #11 on: January 31, 2007, 04:03:43 AM
tell me more about the Bronco! I had a '70 w/ a powerlock front, detroit rear what a handful!  now that was 4 wheel drive, almost broke a wrist or two, sold it about 5yrs back boy do I miss it!
mike
H

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: January 31, 2007, 04:39:41 AM
To address the same issue defender desrcibed, I've gone to carrying an irwin 5wr visegrip. To me it's so much easier having a tool that will grip on to bolts insteads of just slipping. I know it adds weight, but after the amount of times I've used it, I decided it was worth the weight.

Hey SoDak, I forgot, didn't you also try out the Schrade ST6?

* Vise-Grip 5WR Toolbox.jpg (Filesize: 58.68 KB)

* Schrade Tough Grip ST6.jpg (Filesize: 49.14 KB)

Offline SoDak

Reply #13 on: January 31, 2007, 05:35:28 AM
I never really gave the st6 a tryout because I mostly bought them for collecting. In additionI prefer the blunt nose and release bar of a regular visegrp and the extra tools weren't really necesarry for me because I already carry a core. Although I did use them once and it wasn't the most favorable. See I was changing the oil on my dakota which has a plastic oil filler cap that won't unscrew if it gets a little warm. Normally I use a regular needlenose visegrip, but since I couldn't find them I figured I'd use one of my st6's. To sum it all up they worked, but they weren't the most pleasant to use. The reason is that when schrade made the handle with the blades in it, they put it a little too close to the opposite handle. That translates into if the pliers slip and close too quickly, you can get pinched. I didn't get bit very bad, but it sure didn't make me want to use the st6 unless I needed to. Really, it's not a bad tool especially at what I paid for mine, but I think it needed a little more refinement which is too bad because I think it could have been an excellent tool.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: February 01, 2007, 01:25:00 AM
Yep, too bad Schrade went under. They were a great old American knife company.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: February 01, 2007, 01:30:16 AM
Worse than going under, they were rescued by the anti christ of defunct US cutlers, Taylor Cutlery.

Def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: February 01, 2007, 01:55:03 AM
I'll betcha old Ebenezer Schrade (or whatever his name was) is rolling over in his grave right now, seeing his name plastered across all those cheap Made-in-China knives and tools.   :P

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: February 01, 2007, 02:45:52 AM
Same with Edward Smith and his buddy Jebediah Wesson, Randall Colt, and Edgar Winchester....

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%