Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Adding a scissors to Signal

us Offline zartoon

Adding a scissors to Signal
on: June 12, 2016, 08:27:52 AM
So how does one add a set of scissors to a signal without removing the saw.
Here are some thoughts. Enlarge the hole on a wingman scissors and install where the saw is.
Then install the signal saw (probably need to enlarge hole and cut lock notch) and a wingman blade (enlarge hole, cut back notch and fit to liner lock) where the signal blade is. Only issue is it interferes with the awl and the lock doesn't go far enough.

Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 08:31:04 AM by zartoon »

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Adding a scissors to Signal
Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 12:03:33 PM
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 12:04:35 PM by zoidberg »

us Offline zartoon

Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 12:42:06 PM
Thank you for the link.
I have already read that thread. The challenge is to add a scissors and not remove anything else. I.e. The saw.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: June 12, 2016, 11:29:10 PM
Did you watch the video in the post I linked to? It adds scissors without removing the saw...

gb Offline kingofswords

Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 12:01:48 AM
could you not just add wave/charge scissors upside down opposite the knife?

i dont have signal but been contemplating get one to mod

us Offline zartoon

Reply #5 on: June 13, 2016, 04:17:17 PM
I believe the way the guy in the video does it, is to add spacers, remove the awl (I watched the video and read the comments, I stand corrected. He does not remove the awl) and bend the black frame a bit.

Here is my theory:

Remove the bit exchanger (it is as thick as 3 tools), put in standard flat slot and Philips screw drivers that are not interchangeable. That will save you one slot. Move over the awl to open up room.
The signal knife is thicker than the wingman.
Use the wingman blade to open up some room. This will need to be spaced out to clear the saw. Probably need to modify the liner lock some how. Then add the saw on the side where you opened up space from the awl and use the locking lever and a notch on the saw to hold it.

Am I missing anything?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 05:14:30 PM by zartoon »

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: June 13, 2016, 04:29:48 PM
The guy has not removed the awl.

You can't just move the awl over...

us Offline zartoon

Reply #7 on: June 13, 2016, 05:07:27 PM
OK,

so I'm not sure then how you would engage the lever lock on the awl side for the saw.  If you look at it, it is just long enough to engage the Awl, and not any longer, so adding a saw there, the lock lever wouldnt reach the saw.

Correction: He has the saw on the outside, and the blade on the inside, so it would fit.  He just put a spacer there..
so it maybe thats the best way..

It would be good to see some detailed photos of what he did...
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 05:10:04 PM by zartoon »

us Offline zartoon

Reply #8 on: June 13, 2016, 05:15:59 PM
So I think mimicking the guy in the video looks to be the best option.
It may make things a bit easier if you swap the signal knife with the wingman knife to gain some room.  The signal goes in the pouch of my larger camp knife, so the only thing I'd use the multi-tool knife, would be for precision jobs that require an ultra sharp knife.  This makes a good tool a great tool!

us Offline zartoon

Reply #9 on: June 13, 2016, 05:51:02 PM
zoidberg,

you are absolutely right.  He does the mod I want to do.  Looking at the tool, I didnt understand how he can make so much room in there.  The knife is pretty stout and the black metal frame can be spaced on one side..but the other side is fixed (i.e. just bent metal).  I think he relies on the fact that the saw becomes thin and ends toward the tip..and just some how shoes it in.  IN the video, you can see that he has difficulty opening, and closing the saw/knife blades due to the restricted space.  I had watched the video, but had not paid close enough attention to it.  Modding MTs is a new hobby for me, so I appreciate the education. 

Did you watch the video in the post I linked to? It adds scissors without removing the saw...

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: June 13, 2016, 09:57:12 PM
So I think mimicking the guy in the video looks to be the best option.
It may make things a bit easier if you swap the signal knife with the wingman knife to gain some room.  The signal goes in the pouch of my larger camp knife, so the only thing I'd use the multi-tool knife, would be for precision jobs that require an ultra sharp knife.  This makes a good tool a great tool!

If you only need the knife-blade for precision work then you might want to consider replacing the blade with scissors and putting something like the small blade from a SAK opposite to the saw. If you have the tools that is. Just throwing ideas here.

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: June 17, 2016, 04:13:31 PM
I've seen this question get asked a few times but no definitive answer. Can the wave scissors fit anywhere in the signal? Has someone done it? Pictures of why or why not?
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: June 17, 2016, 05:16:56 PM
Only a guess: I think Wave scissors would fit but you would have to lose the bit driver, think Charge.

us Offline tattoosteve99

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #13 on: June 17, 2016, 06:53:12 PM
Ok the video doesn't show exactly how this is done. However I have one here and disassembled. It's not as easy as he shows in the video. The saw won't lock unless you cut a slot for it, also it works in reverse which is odd. I am working on a solution to this but already have loads of projects before this. If I can find a better easier solution I will add it here. Also scissors will fit from Vic, just need drilling and some grinding on various points
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: June 18, 2016, 01:32:58 AM
Thanks that's helpful
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: June 18, 2016, 02:11:47 AM
Just so everyone is clear yeah, the OP was re Wingman scissors, Demel asked re Wave scissors...

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: July 24, 2016, 11:47:13 PM
I'm guessing nothing new on the Saw/Blade sharing the same spot?

Let me ask a new question then.  How crazy to think the Surge blade exchanger fitting where the knife is?  Would the pivot be needed or even fit from the Surge?

I would love to remove the knife and saw and add Blade exchanger and Vic Scissors.  I'd also be inclined t remove the can opener and add flat driver modded into a chisel. 

Am I dreaming?
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: July 25, 2016, 03:41:16 AM
Just now seeing this thread and the other because of the bump :cheers: I really would like to know the answer to this as well :D I don't have a Signal but there is always a next tool on my list :whistle: The Signal has a lot of potential and I love the Skeletool so this is right up my alley :tu:

us Offline zartoon

Reply #18 on: July 28, 2016, 10:35:43 AM
I don't mind the saw, though a blade exchanger saw would be good to have. But adding a scissors would definitely be the main mod.
I will not have time to do anything until September and am hoping someone will figure out how the guy on the video adds the wave scissors.

us Offline tommywp

Reply #19 on: April 18, 2018, 10:34:16 PM
Bringing this one back from the dead. Was anyone ever successful in adding scissors without losing the saw?

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Reply #20 on: April 19, 2018, 11:12:39 AM
Bringing this one back from the dead. Was anyone ever successful in adding scissors without losing the saw?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

gb Offline kingofswords

Reply #21 on: April 19, 2018, 12:23:23 PM
xire got the wave scissors in place of the can opener , hes got pictures on here somewhere but no idea how the bit driver to close .

us Offline tommywp

Reply #22 on: June 28, 2018, 10:27:04 PM
Thanks King. Adding Xire’s post here too as I think this group would be interested (scissors at around the 4 minute mark). I replied back to the original post asking if he could provide some details. But in the meantime...this look like Wave scissors, right?

My First Leatherman Video...Black oxide Signal Mod 😊

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD