Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Keyless-locking Fobs

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Keyless-locking Fobs
on: June 15, 2016, 01:25:53 PM
I don't know a lot about them... a friend has one and it and the plastic around the (separate) key are disintegrating.

I have seen replacement cases on ebay, even ones with the flip-out key that claim you can use your key and the bits from your fob and combine them into one....

Is this possible, and if so how hard is it?
To get such a new key cut here will cost about $200. Replacement fob cases are a couple of bucks.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Keyless-locking Fobs
Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 06:34:34 PM
I assume you are talking about car keys?

If so, it's not usually too difficult to swap the guts from one key to another.  Just be careful not to toucheck the board with your bare hands if you can avoid it, as with any electronics.

And, make sure you test it before you toss the old bits.   There's a chip in there (should be on the board, but you never know) that will allow the car to start.  Without that chip the key is "dumb" and the car will assume it's a copy and not start.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 12:16:30 AM
When the key ring opening on my remote broke I found a great leather pouch with a clear plastic window so you can see the buttons.  Got it on ebay and the company makes them in several sizes.  I don't remember the price, but it was considerably cheaper than buying a new remote.
P1110061.JPG
* P1110061.JPG (Filesize: 123.85 KB)

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 02:02:52 AM
I assume you are talking about car keys?

If so, it's not usually too difficult to swap the guts from one key to another.  Just be careful not to toucheck the board with your bare hands if you can avoid it, as with any electronics.

And, make sure you test it before you toss the old bits.   There's a chip in there (should be on the board, but you never know) that will allow the car to start.  Without that chip the key is "dumb" and the car will assume it's a copy and not start.

Def

Oops yes, I mean car keys sorry.

So if the case is similar hopefully it's just a straight swap. It looks like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-BUTTON-Remote-Key-FOB-Case-Shell-Cover-For-VOLVO-S70-V70-C70-S40-V40-1998-2005-/400635719055?fits=Make%3AVolvo%7CModel%3AV40&hash=item5d47bfed8f:g:8XcAAOSwYGFUtJ3K&vxp=mtr
I'm still entertaining the idea of combining the key and fob if possible as the plastic surrounding the key has disintegrated as well.
Like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flip-Key-Shell-fit-for-Refit-VOLVO-S40-V40-C70-S60-S80-4-Button-Remote-Case-Fob-/201365838927?fits=Make%3AVolvo%7CModel%3AV40&hash=item2ee256dc4f:g:kqwAAOSwubRXLG27&vxp=mtr

I'll try to post some pics later so you can see what I'm dealing with.

When the key ring opening on my remote broke I found a great leather pouch with a clear plastic window so you can see the buttons.  Got it on ebay and the company makes them in several sizes.  I don't remember the price, but it was considerably cheaper than buying a new remote.

That looks like a good solution also. :tu:
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 02:06:08 AM by Syncop8r »

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #4 on: June 16, 2016, 02:43:10 AM
Here we go.....
received_10154353043566349.jpeg
* received_10154353043566349.jpeg (Filesize: 47.11 KB)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: June 16, 2016, 03:07:48 AM
For less than $10 I'd give it a shot.  I have a friend who had a similar problem with the key for his Grand Cherokee and he bought a replacement unit on eBay.  In the end it didn't fit perfectly and required a small amount of fiddling but he managed it... and he is not the handy type in the slightest, so if he managed it, it shouldn't be that hard for anyone who is a member here!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #6 on: July 14, 2016, 10:50:14 AM
The $2 replacement fob case arrived so I did the changeover, pretty easy.  :cheers:
Old on the left, new on the right.
I was expecting a transponder chip to fall out....  :think:

... and it works fine. :)  :salute:
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 10:51:45 AM by Syncop8r »

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #7 on: July 14, 2016, 12:04:28 PM
that looks like a pretty close match... heck you could probably even keep the volvo button...

I have a fob and key "excalibur" style thing...

I would love to have the key recut on one of those folding key fobs instead:
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #8 on: July 14, 2016, 12:14:56 PM
I have one of those on the way as well. The seller claims you can use the key from the normal key and put it into the folding key fob, though I am dubious. I could be tearing off the plastic around the key for nothing.

I thought about using the Volvo button instead of the boot (trunk) button. It doesn't do anything on the original; I guess that's why they put the Volvo logo there. You can see it stuck to the case in the first photo above.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: July 14, 2016, 12:54:28 PM
that looks like a pretty close match... heck you could probably even keep the volvo button...

I have a fob and key "excalibur" style thing...
(Image removed from quote.)

I would love to have the key recut on one of those folding key fobs instead:
(Image removed from quote.)

Same here.  I thought the key for my TJ was huge, then I got the JK and the key itself is larger, then the fob on top of that.   :ahhh

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: July 14, 2016, 12:55:43 PM
The $2 replacement fob case arrived so I did the changeover, pretty easy.  :cheers:
Old on the left, new on the right.
I was expecting a transponder chip to fall out....  :think:

... and it works fine. :)  :salute:

Great to see it worked out properly!

Def

nz Offline moonweasel

Reply #11 on: July 14, 2016, 01:24:13 PM
Unless you can see the chip or the case holding the chip in the key I'd leave well enough alone. The rubber is only cosmetic from memory. Been a while since I have seen a Volvo key.
The flipcase shell, I doubt would take your existing blade. You most likely will be looking at a trip to a locksmith to try and cut the blade.
We don't cut blanks that we know came from ebay, the risk to our cutting bits is too great, the blade materials can be a mixed bag. No point in risking a couple hundred dollar bit for a $50 job.
If you do end up destroying your key (hopefully not your only one) to get the chip and blade and it doesn't work out you can still drive by holding the chip near the igntion when you start the car.
We put the old chip in a new JMA shell pretty often when the old key is done for and the chip not cloneable.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #12 on: July 14, 2016, 01:39:30 PM
I wouldn't get the blank that comes with the flip key cut - I have heard that you need to go through the dealers for new ones?

Ahhhh - so the chip is in the key case, not the fob case?  :shrug:

There is another key but it will not start the car - the starter only very briefly turns.

nz Offline moonweasel

Reply #13 on: July 14, 2016, 01:49:36 PM
Yep in the key head.
Sounds like the other key is a wet key, usually for surfers and such, or the chip has gone walkabout or broken. Don't keep cranking that one, depending on the car you may lock up the ECU.
If you have only one key functioning key, you really need to get another one made/cloned.
It gets a bit expensive if you have no keys.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #14 on: July 14, 2016, 02:05:34 PM
Cheers mate  :cheers:

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #15 on: July 14, 2016, 04:27:43 PM
hmmm I have 2 keys, only ever tried the one with the keyfob... the other doesn't have any fancy stuff on it like the remote unlock/lock. Maybe I should try it at some point...  :facepalm:
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

england Offline Kev D

Reply #16 on: July 14, 2016, 04:57:04 PM
I have the spring out clicky fob, I find I keep clicking the key in and out like I do when I'm sat idle with a one hand open and close knife. It's very therapeutic  :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $56.34
PayPal Fees: $2.74
Net Balance: $53.60
Below Goal: $246.40
Site Currency: USD
18%