Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What is the secret to reassembling tools?

zrxoa1 · 31 · 2400

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
What is the secret to reassembling tools?
on: July 04, 2016, 10:56:35 AM
I recently took apart one side of my ST300 EOD to clean off the BO residue. I like to never got it back together and some how lost one washer.

What's the secret to reassembling??

Thanks!!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: What is the secret to reassembling tools?
Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 11:31:39 AM
Practice.   :P   Reverse tweezers and a paper clip helps.    :tu:   :tu:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 11:32:15 AM
Also good lighting.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 11:42:58 AM
I like to take pictures/videos at each step; this helps too with electronics, cars etc.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #4 on: July 04, 2016, 11:49:45 AM
Perhaps put the parts in a magnetic tray so you don't lose any of the tiny ones?

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: July 04, 2016, 11:56:23 AM
I like to take pictures/videos at each step; this helps too with electronics, cars etc.

:2tu:

Always best to take pics as you disassemble so you know exactly what went there. I do the same before I disconnect wiring in panels and motors, always easy just to look at a piccy where it came from.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #6 on: July 04, 2016, 12:21:24 PM
Everything said is good advice. I normally take pictures before and throughout the process for review later if need be. Having some reverse tweezers or just some fine "electrician" tweezers are great for placing washers and such. Most of all experience. The first tool I ever took apart never made it back together until I sent it to someone for reassembly. That actually may have happened more than once.

When it comes to multitools specifically I always take notice of all tool placement, washer placement, and washer variances as sometimes they are varied thicknesses. I always lay out the tools, screws, washers, ect.. in the exact order they came out and will go back in and in the proper orientation.

If you are ever working on a tool and start to feel frustrated or you just want to rush to get it back together you should step back for a moment. Take a break, and come back to it later with a fresh view of it. That has helped me with not only assembling tools, but many, many other applications in life like fixing cars or figuring out solutions to other problems you may have.
I'm the milk man!

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #7 on: July 04, 2016, 12:54:29 PM
The secret to reassembling is to know where everything goes, otherwise you're not reassembling, you're just experamenting and ultimately wasting your time.

In order to know where everything goes, you have to document the pieces and their place in the whole. It all depends on what you're taking apart.

I usually take pictures before, to have the default order of items.
Multiple angles, to be sure I can see what it looks like before I take it apart.

To disassemble, the right tools should be used. I tried to take apart my Rebar with pliers, and I scratched the screws. I gave up, and ordered loki's wrenches, and then I took the tool apart with no issue.

While taking apart the item, place components on a clear and secure surface. Make sure nothing with roll off the table and end up under a bench or fridge or something.
Lighting is also important. It is not enough to do it by daylight. I want to see what I'm doing.
I tr and go slow, follow any tutorials I can find (e.g. the Rebar screw post does not turn, you have to turn the screw, which is on the side of the letters on the handle).
I place the items in order, and again, go slow. Don't end up with a pile of implements. End up with them in a line, as they were in the item, or in the order they came out.

Handling the implements requires patience. Your fingers will get sweaty, slippery, and you might get impatient. You might come across parts you were not aware were there. The Rebar has some very thin washers. These went in with the help of a pair of Victorinox tweezers. Nice and thin, held the washers securely.

It might be a good idea to record what you did with video, so you can trace your steps, and see what goes where, in case you come across a part you are unsure of, even if you had them in order.

Look up tutorials for the item you're working with. If there are no tutorials, ask if anyone has done it, and if so, what it was like. The tricky parts, unexpected occurrences, tools used, etc.

The main thing is to be prepared, and go slow. If you can help it, don't take apart the thing a once. For a multitool cleaning, I took apart one handle, cleaned it, reassembled it, then worked on the other. No need to take apart everything if I can work with a part of the job at a time.

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #8 on: July 04, 2016, 01:21:57 PM
I recently took apart one side of my ST300 EOD to clean off the BO residue. I like to never got it back together and some how lost one washer.

What's the secret to reassembling??

Thanks!!

If you need a breakdown of the order of parts in each handle of the EOD, I can dig up my notes. I also have the same for the regular ST300.

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
Reply #9 on: July 04, 2016, 02:00:09 PM
Link to thread with parts order for ST300 standard and EOD models: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,67152.msg1295987.html#msg1295987

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: July 05, 2016, 02:30:16 AM
I just randomly take them apart and throw them in a pile and they come out as whole tools :o

:whistle:

No really it is best to go with the advice above, these guys know their stuff and I have used plenty of it over the years :tu:

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: July 05, 2016, 02:33:18 AM
I knew the order of what went where. My difficulty was getting it all in there straight and get the pivot thru. The final part that goes against the inner surface of the handle was my hardest part.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: July 05, 2016, 03:03:56 AM
I knew the order of what went where. My difficulty was getting it all in there straight and get the pivot thru. The final part that goes against the inner surface of the handle was my hardest part.

Try sliding the last two parts in at the same time or the last part and a washer if those are the last two parts :tu:

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #13 on: July 05, 2016, 02:51:25 PM
I usually put the pivot in a vice facing up, put the tool handle halfway through, then start putting tools in the handle.

I can move the handle up and down the pivot to add or remove tools and aligning 1 is much easier than aligning all of them IMO

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
Reply #14 on: July 05, 2016, 05:34:21 PM
I usually put the pivot in a vice facing up, put the tool handle halfway through, then start putting tools in the handle.

I can move the handle up and down the pivot to add or remove tools and aligning 1 is much easier than aligning all of them IMO

I use a similar strategy. Pin goes in partway, start dropping tools and washers on. Use tweezers or other pokey tool to get the washers aligned right if needed. Slide pin up slightly. Repeat for next tool/washer until finished.

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
Reply #15 on: July 05, 2016, 05:35:15 PM
The one thing I have yet to be able to do right is get pliers back into a Rebar body. One half is fine, but the other refuses to seat properly. That being said, my Rebars are either stock or donors.

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #16 on: July 05, 2016, 05:54:35 PM
It can be really frustrating, that's for sure. I take a lot of little breaks to keep the levels down :rofl: As others have mentioned, good lighting, knowing what goes where, and using something to go through the pivot holes is a big help - I use a tiny hex key, but really anything will do. Using the pin works, too, but without a vice this can be tedious, so just experiment with some different techniques and see what works for you.

I seem to have had a harder time with the pliers-end of the tool, but I have only messed with a couple of tools plier heads. I seem to remember having a really hard time getting my Wingman pliers back in. I also did the Rebar head into my Wave, but that was long enough ago that I can't remember if I had trouble with that or not :think:
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: July 05, 2016, 05:55:14 PM
Do you guys put tools back facing in or out?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: July 05, 2016, 05:58:27 PM

I haven't messed with anything more than a blade swap on the more complicated tools but with PSTs I put them back together with tools out so I can handle them more easily :tu:

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
Reply #19 on: July 05, 2016, 06:00:53 PM

I haven't messed with anything more than a blade swap on the more complicated tools but with PSTs I put them back together with tools out so I can handle them more easily :tu:

I put them in facing out for grip, then rotate them closed so that it doesn't interfere with the next one.

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: July 05, 2016, 06:03:14 PM
The really hard part for me has been getting the last tool, washer and piece inside the handle, in.  That last part, that goes against the inside of the handle, is a real bear for me!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: July 05, 2016, 06:03:52 PM

I put them in facing out for grip, then rotate them closed so that it doesn't interfere with the next one.

I guess I put them in as I get them on as well, just do it without realizing it I guess :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: July 05, 2016, 06:04:53 PM
The really hard part for me has been getting the last tool, washer and piece inside the handle, in.  That last part, that goes against the inside of the handle, is a real bear for me!

That's why I suggested putting the last two pieces in together at the same time  :cheers:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #23 on: July 05, 2016, 06:05:33 PM

That's why I suggested putting the last two pieces in together at the same time  :cheers:

It's easier for me that way anyways :tu:

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: July 05, 2016, 06:07:58 PM
Hard to do. On my ST300 EOD, the last two were that final piece, 2 washers and the t shank saw holder. Somehow I ended up losing the really thin silver washer. No idea where it went!  I looked EVERYWHERE!!!   Even got on hands an knees with bright light and never found it!

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #25 on: July 05, 2016, 09:07:37 PM
Two identical tools.  One disassembled for the before pic and the other for the after pic.  :rofl:

...and now we all know why I don't mod.  :facepalm:
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: July 05, 2016, 10:12:35 PM
Two identical tools.  One disassembled for the before pic and the other for the after pic.  :rofl:

...and now we all know why I don't mod.  :facepalm:

::) :whistle: :rofl:

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #27 on: July 06, 2016, 11:43:05 AM

In.  Less pressure from the lock bar on the tool trying to misalign things that way.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #28 on: July 06, 2016, 12:10:11 PM

In.  Less pressure from the lock bar on the tool trying to misalign things that way.

This goes back to the fact that I have only really messed with PSTs ;) No locks so I had no idea about the pressure of the lock bar messing with the alignment :ahhh  :D

Offline hammerlykins

Reply #29 on: July 13, 2016, 05:44:23 PM
I had this exact problem two weeks ago on my ST300. Obviously ditto to good lighting and a good work bench where parts won't escape. I simply replaced that lanyard ring with a 1/16" thick washer and used the left over Leatherman washer on the side that was short. It works really well and I never use the lanyard ring anyway!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%