Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Craftsman 45521 MT

Aloha · 12 · 1993

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Craftsman 45521 MT
on: September 12, 2016, 12:55:56 AM
I've seen these only here on MTO till just today.  I picked it up and it felt pretty solid.  I actually really like the polished frame and clip point blade.  I noticed there were 2 versions of this model, an earlier one that didn't lock, and one that did.  Mine doesn't lock but the tools when opened stay put. 

What a crazy thick phillips.  I thought the lanyard ring on Mr Pinchy was thick.   

Not a bad tool actually but a clear "clone" of the PST. 
IMG_1499 (1) copy.jpg
* IMG_1499 (1) copy.jpg (Filesize: 137.84 KB)
IMG_1500 copy.jpg
* IMG_1500 copy.jpg (Filesize: 137.79 KB)
IMG_1501 copy.jpg
* IMG_1501 copy.jpg (Filesize: 122.69 KB)
IMG_1502 copy.jpg
* IMG_1502 copy.jpg (Filesize: 124.33 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Craftsman 45521 MT
Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 12:57:06 AM
Bit longer than the Wave as you can see.  I like that the tools are outside accessible. 

It has a number on the inside 0.2, both sides, any idea why? 
IMG_1503 copy.jpg
* IMG_1503 copy.jpg (Filesize: 108.65 KB)
IMG_1504 copy.jpg
* IMG_1504 copy.jpg (Filesize: 92.21 KB)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 12:58:36 AM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 01:32:27 AM
Nice score! Bear MT rebrand for Craftsman. There is another one also but cant remember the model number. I've got them in some toolbox around here.    :)
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 02:39:21 AM
Nice find!

If I recall correctly, that was originally the Bear Jaws 155 and the locking version was the 155L.

They have been rebranded as Craftsman, Crescent and Hard Hat at least, and probably others besides.

I really like them, although the locking versions are a bit strange with locking tabs that stick out like wings.  They actually don't really get in the way while using the tool nearly as much as you think they will looking at them!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 01:35:47 AM
I have a couple Bear brand MTs and they are great quality :like: but they haven't updated their design in years ::) and as said before the locking tabs are a bit of a pain and make using the tool harder than it has to be :facepalm:

us Offline David

Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 02:00:29 AM
There is also a Craftsman 45201 if I remember correctly. I'll try to dig them out when I get home and see what's goin on.   :D
Hold Fast

us Offline David

Reply #6 on: September 14, 2016, 08:30:01 AM
There is also a Craftsman 45201 if I remember correctly. I'll try to dig them out when I get home and see what's goin on.   :D

The model number 45201 was changed to the 45521 after some changes took place. They have the same tool set. There were three plier head changes and some changes where the handles connect to the plier head. It appears it was after the handle changes that the model number was changed.    :)
Hold Fast

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016, 12:51:43 AM
I have a couple Bear brand MTs and they are great quality :like: but they haven't updated their design in years ::) and as said before the locking tabs are a bit of a pain and make using the tool harder than it has to be :facepalm:

From my conversations with Bear I get the feeling that they really don't care about their tools.  They have no interest in updating them, adding to the line or even promoting them, and if it weren't for Craftsman and Crescent buying them and rebranding them I think we would have seen them disappear a long time ago.

At least, that's what I came away from our conversations with- I could be mistaken.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: September 15, 2016, 07:24:14 AM
Thats interesting.  Makes you wonder why they got into the MT business in the first place? 

The tool is not bad.  I guess throwing money at "improving" or updating the line didn't make sense to them.  About what year did these tools come out? 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #9 on: September 15, 2016, 06:04:59 PM
Thats interesting.  Makes you wonder why they got into the MT business in the first place? 

The tool is not bad.  I guess throwing money at "improving" or updating the line didn't make sense to them.  About what year did these tools come out?
According to the Multitool Timeline (http://wiki.multitool.org/tiki-index.php?page=Multitool+Timeline) Bear introduced  the original Bear Jaws in 1996, the same year Buck introduced the Buck 360 (which was a far superior tool, IMO, and had a much greater marketing presence).

Not sure when Bear introduced the Super Bear Jaws (which was already out when the Bear Jaws was introduced in 1996 i think), but they didn't bother adding locks to it until 2001, 7 years after the Super Tool. Not to mention their patent was bought by Victorinox so they could release the first SwissTool in 1997, so it seems like Bear already wasn't interested in their tools at that time.
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: September 15, 2016, 10:07:22 PM

From my conversations with Bear I get the feeling that they really don't care about their tools.  They have no interest in updating them, adding to the line or even promoting them, and if it weren't for Craftsman and Crescent buying them and rebranding them I think we would have seen them disappear a long time ago.

At least, that's what I came away from our conversations with- I could be mistaken.

Def

That is the impression I have gotten from them as well over the years ::)

I think that they jumped in on the bandwagon in the mid 90's when LM, SOG and Gerber were making a killing on them and never made there presence to widely known and let the line get stale :oops: At least when Vic bought them out for a while we got the Swisstool and SPirit from them :dd: :cheers: That is probably the best thing that came out of Bear and Son coming out with their brand MTs :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: September 15, 2016, 11:21:11 PM
I think we got the Swiss Tool from Bear and if I recall correctly the Spirit came out well after Victorinox set Bear free.

Of course, if you compare the Swisstool and the Bear Jaws there really aren't too many similarities in the design, other than the implements open outward.  Given that many other manufacturers are using this configuration as well I have yo wonder if that really was why Victorinox bought Bear as we have been lead to believe.

Bear btw is quite proud of having "out thought" Leatherman by turing the handles around.

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $149.46
PayPal Fees: $8.74
Net Balance: $140.72
Below Goal: $159.28
Site Currency: USD
47%