Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

91mm thinner main blade?

Offline dawgvet

91mm thinner main blade?
on: August 23, 2016, 08:18:25 PM
I just joined MTO and while looking through the mods section, I noticed a mention of the newer 91mm Vics having a thinner blade than the older ones. I hadn't realized this before and was wondering 1) when the change was made, 2) how to distinguish in photos or look for different tang stamps on the blade to know one from the other, and 3) if anyone sees a functional or strength difference in the newer blades versus the older thicker blades? Pardon my ignorance on this matter as I have carried and used SAKs for 30 years but only recently began looking into collecting and modifying them!
Thanks,
Jed

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: 91mm thinner main blade?
Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 08:49:00 PM
First off welcome to :MTO: :cheers:

As far as your question Iunfortunately don't have the answer :oops: but this is the best place for a question like that :rofl: I am sure some of our SAKperts will be along to fill you in though :cheers:

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 08:53:49 PM
Welcome to the forum :waving:

As far as I remember, the newer knife blade came around 1991, a bit thinner and the outer liner has a bump in the scale to compensate for that. But I'm not that good of a historian anymore so if I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me soon enough. As for tang stamps. If it has the Victorinox / Swiss Made / Stainless, it's the new one. That blade came out ca. 2005.

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 09:06:33 PM
Theres no functional difference, the differences in thickness are pretty minute. The only reason it is brought up so often in the Mod Squad forum is because of the potential problems that come with putting the thinner "new" blade with a old liner without the bump.
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline JamesJ

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 12:53:03 AM
I'm highly sensitive to the different vibration the 2 thicknesses of blades produce.  Especially in 84mm size. Might sound weird but there is a different pitch if you take you finger and flick one vs the other.

Doesn't effect strength perhaps, indeed the thinner one may actually bend more before breaking? I've never broken either type. But I do often choose the thickness to use in a build based on if I want to think of it as a rough job utility blade or a precision razor slicer.  It's all in my head but it's enough of a "thing" for me to obsess over.

But yeah AFAIK, the backspring/layer thickness is the same, as was mentioned above, just has the raised bump on the outer liner to compensate (like a built-in spacer). What I've never understood is why they did it, Like shaving off a few nanometers of steel ends up saving 500,000 CHF each each year or something?
-JJL
instagram: jamesjlarue (warning, lots of cat pics along with the SAKs)

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 01:05:58 AM
Doubt it, if so, they'd be making more 84mm SAKs instead if the 91mm ones. But who knows. :shrug:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 01:08:42 AM
Welcome to the boards dawgvet.   :cheers:   Here are a couple threads to get you started.

Something to help you date your Vic SAKS based on tool evolution

Victorinox Tang Stamps

Offline dawgvet

Reply #7 on: August 24, 2016, 02:55:52 AM
Thanks for the replies. I didn't figure it was as big a deal functionally but more of something for us knife-geeks to obsess over ::)
Thank you for the threads to read up on. I really enjoy learning about these knives. I began carrying one when I was in sixth grade (boy was school different then)!

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: August 24, 2016, 04:15:24 PM
I have seen lots of people complain about the thinner blade, but never seen any report about problems caused by it.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: August 25, 2016, 04:16:39 AM
Welcome to the boards dawgvet.   :cheers:   Here are a couple threads to get you started.

Victorinox Tang Stamps

Thanks for those links Zoid :salute: I am off to read them now :dd:

:like:

hr Offline Subterranean

Reply #10 on: August 25, 2016, 12:58:20 PM
I have seen lots of people complain about the thinner blade, but never seen any report about problems caused by it.

+1

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #11 on: August 25, 2016, 01:03:17 PM
It's only thicker at the tang - It won't make any difference to the performance of the blade. See the pic below:
WP_20160825_003 by magpie2112, on Flickr
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: August 25, 2016, 01:29:04 PM

Victorinox Tang Stamps

Thanks for those links Zoid :salute: I am off to read them now :dd:

:like:

:tu:   :tu:   :tu:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: August 25, 2016, 02:04:05 PM

Welcome to the forum dv :cheers:

Donations