Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How do some of you handle so many multi tools and SAKs and knives??

zrxoa1 · 33 · 2209

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
I have a drawer full and a few key rings loaded down and I feel overwhelmed!

At times I'm ready to sell all but a few!!!

My small list, small compared to many here...

PST 1
PST 2
PST Marlboro Edition 1
PST Marlboro Edition 2
Gen 1 Wave 1
Gen 1 Wave 2
Gen 2 Wave
Skeletool
Skeletool CX
Freestyle CX
Wingman
Sidekick
Kick
ST200 1
ST200 2
ST300 SS
ST300 BO
ST300 EOD BO
Style CS
OHT BO
Universal Tool Adapter
Standard Tool Adapter
SS bit driver
2 bit kits
3 home made bit drivers for bit holder
Crater 33x

Victorinox

Compact
Centurian
Tinker
Ambassador
Evogrip S54

Plus several different knives...

I Don't need all that!  I only carry one at a time.  Some are dispersed to various vehicles.  Yet I still want a BO PST, a BO OG Supertool.....

I just can't make my mind up most days on what to carry!  The OHT was quickly becoming my favorite.  I had to send it in for warranty work.  Last time, YEARS ago, I had to send a tool in for repair and had exact same problem with delivery.... LM was closed when they tried to deliver.

Looking forward to getting it back!

There, I feel better..  the anxiety of that full drawer is subsiding.....

LOL

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Very nice bunch of stuff you have there zrxoa1  :like: I just buy a bigger box or put them here and there so I don't know what I really have :whistle: That way you can't feel as overwhelmed :rofl: Seriously you shouldn't feel bad about it as you do use them (perhaps not all of them but some of them) :tu:

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Well, one of my ST200s is in my son's Corolla.  The other ST200 is in my wife's Highlander.

The BO ST300 resides in my truck. The BO ST300 EOD with MUT plier head is under the seat of my motorcycle.  The SS ST300 will go into a small case with the SS bit driver and an assortment of ¼" bits to be my main floor tool box at the new house.

The 2 Marlboro Edition PSTs are for collection.  Then I have my original PST that I have had for many years and it's backup. 

I have my Gen 1 Wave and it's backup plus my Gen 2 Wave in a sheath with the 2 bit kits...never carry it. Not sure where it falls in my line up.

Same as the Kick, Wingman and Sidekick...bought those on impulse and really have no use for them.

The OHT...well, I like carrying it.

I don't see how some of you carry a multi tool, SAK and a knife at the same time!!!

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Pocket hangers make it much easier to pocket carry SAK's and slipjoints if they have a bail.

I also feel sometimes like I have too many , and I may sell some at some point. I need to stop buying Supertools since I have backups for my backups   :facepalm:

An overflow drawers works wonders  :tu:

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Pocket hangers make it much easier to pocket carry SAK's and slipjoints if they have a bail.

I also feel sometimes like I have too many , and I may sell some at some point. I need to stop buying Supertools since I have backups for my backups   :facepalm:

LOL

:tu:

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
I'm not very organized and frankly embarrassed by how I have them stored. I have a yellow toolbox that houses all the knives and tools I don't carry the most and the others items that I use more often are in a 12 dracer Tupperware type drawer system where things are semi organized. Most of it right now looks like stainless steel vomit on my dresser  :rofl: I'll get around to cleaning it up tomorrow maybe.

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
I organize my little drawer about once a month. Then I rummage around and make a mess out of over the next few weeks and do it all over again. LOL

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
I've stopped buying, but not quite committed myself to selling off all the excess. Once I've done that, I will still have a large assortment, but I allow myself options in various categories .....

3 very different tools permanently residing in my main tool bag

1 in the grab bag (mini tool bag - if visiting friends/family who are likely to have odd jobs that need doing)

3 "working" (locking blade) tool options - one each of Gerber, LM and Vic

2 walking/hiking set ups - one fully loaded, and a lighter weight set up

"Formal" options for when suited up

"Urban" options, either bladeless or non-locking

Partitioning the tools under various themes is a very good way of trying to justify things to yourself  :whistle:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Love it!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas

I to have picked the pocket hanger/suspension clip idea up and it was Steve and a few others whom I saw with them and then I headed straight to ebay :D Before those I carried mostly an Executive in my pocket and a MT in a sheath on my belt ;) I have more than I like sometimes in my pockets as well but most of the time it all fits fine :D The pocket hangers allow me to carry a larger SAK than I use to on a normal basis :like: I could never carry something like a Ranger let alone my Champion or SwissChamp comfortably before :o :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh I have been carrying a traditional knife as of late as well and most of the ones I have are small enough that I don't even notice them in my pocket :cheers: I do occasionally adjust things and trim my carry down when I start loosing my pants even with a belt on :rofl: Just a joke ;) but it is nice to step back and trim the excess down sometimes :tu:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Funny that. I feel you can never have enough.  :rofl:  :D
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Funny that. I feel you can never have enough.  :rofl:  :D

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
I keep the MTs I actually carry and use on my night stand.  I keep the ones I bought and never planned on using in a large plastic bin.  My SAKs that get carried and used I keep along side my MTs.  My surplus SAKs are kept in a knife zippered holder. 

I am pretty set on what I carry so theres not much on my night stand unless I've taken something out to play with.  I like to go thru my collection monthly just to have a play.  Its also a good time to evaluate what I have and why. 

I do have set "kits" so when I'm headed out for a hike or walk I can just grab that kit and go.  My camping gear is set up like that as well.  The only thing I need to decide on is how many fixed blades I want to take  :rofl:

Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
I use a Parat toolcase.

They are quite expensive, but got it unused second hand at a fraction of the price.

It allows me to store all my EDC rotation stuff, in sections.
The large stuff goes in the tray underneath the bottom organizer.

The SAK's sit in their pouch, quite deep inside a pocket, which means they're quite protected.

The case is lockable, aircraft travel approved and made out of an impact resistant aluminum/polymer combo

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
I also have a justification for most of my tools and have many "kits" to just grab'n go for every occasion.
Most of my MTs are stashed on bags, kits or toolboxes for a very specific role, and 3 or 4 tools in my nightstand to rotate during the week, my EDCs As of now:

LM ST300 - Leave the house/emergency bag
LM Surge / SOG Powerlock / MP600 Pro Scout - Car tool
LM Wave / Spirit - Workbench and "house projects/repairs" tool
LM Wingman - Pool/Beach bag for family trips or visiting friends
LM Micra - Keychain tool, always there
LM Squirt PS4 - Purse/EDC bag/slingbag carry
LM Core / SOG BlakTip / SOG PP / Spirit / MP800 - Work tool/EDC rotation

I believe it's a matter of not having other ways to spend serious money  :drink: (no partying, no drinking, few other hobbies and not expensive cars, stuff or items in general), and a passion for tools and gear that allows us to create a reason or find a justification for every new purchase we do, be it curiosity, wanting to try something new or looking to fit a role/need in our daily lives.   :multi:

If you can still sleep under a ceiling, drink clean water and illuminate your house, in brief paying your debts, do whatever floats your boat!
Life is short, live it happily and do what you wish if it doesn't affect or cause harm to others, so that they can do the same!   :tu:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Zrxoa1, I just hate that you're feeling overwhelmed by having so many multitools.  If it will help to restore and preserve your mental health you can send some of your extra tools to me.  I'm willing to take on some of your burden because I'm the type of person who will do anything to help a friend.  Another suggestion is to participate in the monthly challenges.  Once you agree to use only one tool for a whole month it removes the burden of having to choose every day. :salute:

fi Offline Padre

How do I handle my MTs?
I don't, HALP!
 :ahhh
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

wales Offline Simplon

I believe it is my duty in life to collect as many knive and tools as possible so that others do not have to suffer doubts and misery about collecting. :climber: :multi:
Simplon.
Now where did I leave my knife?

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Zrxoa1, I just hate that you're feeling overwhelmed by having so many multitools.  If it will help to restore and preserve your mental health you can send some of your extra tools to me.  I'm willing to take on some of your burden because I'm the type of person who will do anything to help a friend.  Another suggestion is to participate in the monthly challenges.  Once you agree to use only one tool for a whole month it removes the burden of having to choose every day. :salute:
LOL, I was waiting for such a "generous" offer!!  Haha

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
I believe it is my duty in life to collect as many knive and tools as possible so that others do not have to suffer doubts and misery about collecting. :climber: :multi:
You're a true hero!!!

LOL

us Offline JasonJ

I don't see how some of you carry a multi tool, SAK and a knife at the same time!!!

Well, Multitool is attached to my day pack, which if not with me, is in the car (where I always keep a Sidekick), SAK is a classic SD attached to keys (but depending on keychain, may be a Micra), and there is almost always a standard folding knife with clip in my weak-side pocket - Unless I decide to carry a med- sized MT in pocket, in which case its blade replaces my single folding blade (which almost never happens). 

Despite that, I still want (need?) a Wave, pref Gen2, and a Skeletool CX.  I feel either of those would get good use, especially with their larger, plain edged blades.  Especially a Skeletool CX. 

So.. it's about balance and rotation.  Although if years go by and you just dont have a spot in the rotation, best to unload them or give them away.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
You're a true hero!!!

LOL

I feel the same way :salute: Tis a burden few should have to bear but I am willing to take one for the team :whistle: :D

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Well, if I was to divest myself of my multi-tools...it might change the earth's axis 1/16th of a degree...and then were would we all be?!?!  :ahhh

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
 :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

Best to just let them be :D
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 02:21:24 AM by Poncho65 »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
It is good to laugh at the situation...but the floor is holding up...so all is good.  :rofl:

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Well, if I was to divest myself of my multi-tools...it might change the earth's axis 1/16th of a degree...and then were would we all be?!?!  :ahhh

Thankfully we have Sparky keeping the balance with his hoard of rust  >:D
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Clothes piled on the chair because the dresser drawers are full of MTs and knives doesn't seem the least bit unusual to me. :cheers:

wales Offline Simplon

I collected two more Leatherman Multitools today, a Skeletool CX and a OHT. Great for me, less pain and soul searching for someone else. :multi: :rofl: :ahhh :ahhh :rofl:
Simplon.
Now where did I leave my knife?

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
I collected two more Leatherman Multitools today, a Skeletool CX and a OHT. Great for me, less pain and soul searching for someone else. :multi: :rofl: :ahhh :ahhh :rofl:

:like: :like: :like:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD