Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

It doesn't make any sense.

Benner · 63 · 5668

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Re: It doesn't make any sense.
Reply #30 on: September 29, 2008, 11:25:17 PM
Say bye to Dave everyone.  When Mike or Dunc read that he is outta here!  :D
I'm back!!

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #31 on: September 29, 2008, 11:26:22 PM

Bring it on  >:D

'bout time someone stuck up for little old LM ;)

I used to come here a lot.

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: September 29, 2008, 11:26:52 PM
Before the flame war starts.... :D

I found myself not using my SwissTool and grabbing for a Wave and then a Kick just now. Not because they are better, but because I was doing more delicate work and wanted a lighter tool. I also wanted the diamond file.
[

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #33 on: September 29, 2008, 11:27:15 PM

Hey!  :twak:  I do too.  AND I like Swisstools as well.
I'm back!!

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #34 on: September 29, 2008, 11:29:00 PM

Hey!  :twak:  I do too.  AND I like Swisstools as well.

There's nowt so queer as folk....  :D

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #35 on: September 29, 2008, 11:29:05 PM
The Core?  I certainly would have a hard time buying a tool that has plastic as a major part of the mechanicals over an all-metal, rock-solid Swisstool.  I'd rather compare a Swisstool to a Supertool, honestly.  My ST200s are no slouch.

I understand what you mean, Dave.  At first, there appear to be no defining innovations with the Swisstool over the standard Leatherman.  Then you realize that the Swisstool was the first design with no clumping and outside opening tools, and that those two items make a world of difference.  As far as I can tell, Leatherman still hasn't caught up to Victorinox on those fronts.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 11:35:26 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #36 on: September 29, 2008, 11:30:14 PM
I should use my Swisstool to SMASH MY LEATHERMANS.

HULK SMASH! Graawr! And take pictures. Hulk take pictures too.
Got those frog legs.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #37 on: September 29, 2008, 11:34:33 PM
The Core?  I certainly would have a hard time buying a tool that has plastic as a major part of the mechanicals over a rock-solid Swisstool.

I understand what you mean, Dave.  At first, there appear to be no defining innovations with the Swisstool over the standard Leatherman.  Then you realize that the Swisstool was the first design with no clumping and outside opening tools, and that those two items make a world of difference. 

That's a fair point. I'll concede that one (I didn't know that tbh).

The plastic on the Core though, whilst more than cosmetic, doesn't weaken the tool though does it? Granted - if you dropped it in a fire it might rattle a bit afterwards - but the forces are all carried by steel.

Hmmm interesting idea for a thread there - ZYTEL v CELIDOR I know there's no plastic on the Swisstool or Spirit, but the principle's the same.  :pok:

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #38 on: September 29, 2008, 11:38:03 PM
Honestly, if the Zytel melted, I don't think you could use the Core at all.  I don't own one, but from the pictures it looks like there's an awfully thick piece of it around the pivot between the tools and the handles.

Look at it this way.  Is there ever any benefit to using plastic in a tool over metal?  Other than to reduce weight and cost, that is...
- Terry

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: September 29, 2008, 11:39:48 PM
Look at it this way.  Is there ever any benefit to using plastic in a tool over metal?  Other than to reduce weight and cost, that is...

Reducing weight is great... but you can do that by skeletonizing metal too... :D
Got those frog legs.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #40 on: September 29, 2008, 11:40:41 PM

Hmmm interesting idea for a thread there - ZYTEL v CELIDOR I know there's no plastic on the Swisstool or Spirit, but the principle's the same.  :pok:

I don't think the principle is the same at all.  Cellidor is used for ergonomic and aesthetic reasons only.  A SAK works perfectly well without scales.  Honestly, I'm not sure why LM decided to use Zytel in the mechanicals of the Core at all.  Is there some benefit other than to reduce weight and cost?
- Terry

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #41 on: September 29, 2008, 11:40:57 PM

It can be comfier, doesn't feel as cold in cold weather, doesn't rust, needs very little TLC, saying all that i agree plastic isn't the greatest thing to be put in a multitool. :)
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #42 on: September 29, 2008, 11:43:30 PM

It can be comfier, doesn't feel as cold in cold weather, doesn't rust, needs very little TLC, saying all that i agree plastic isn't the greatest thing to be put in a multitool. :)

OK, but in the Core, the plastic doesn't touch your skin--it's on the inside of the tool only.  So, there is no benefit of comfort or temperature.  I can't say that my Swisstools have needed any TLC either.  Some of my Leathermans have, though.  :P  :D
- Terry

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: September 29, 2008, 11:45:19 PM
OK, but in the Core, the plastic doesn't touch your skin--it's on the inside of the tool only.  So, there is no benefit of comfort or temperature.  I can't say that my Swisstools have needed any TLC either.  Some of my Leathermans have, though.  :P  :D

I was just on about tools in general, but yes in the case of the Core it does seem a bit odd :-\ :)

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: September 29, 2008, 11:46:33 PM
Plastic inserts can also trap moisture behind them, leading to increased rust. At least, that seems to be the case with my Kick...
[

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #45 on: September 29, 2008, 11:49:06 PM

I was just on about tools in general,

Right.  Your points were good ones--I was just trying to point out that those good points don't really relate to the Core.
- Terry

us Offline Swiss Man

• No Life Club
  • WIFE APPROVED
Reply #46 on: September 29, 2008, 11:50:01 PM

OK, but in the Core, the plastic doesn't touch your skin--it's on the inside of the tool only.  So, there is no benefit of comfort or temperature.  I can't say that my Swisstools have needed any TLC either.  Some of my Leathermans have, though.  :P  :D

I just recently rescued my Swiss Tool from the pocket of the car door (it was there about a year) the only rust was found between the awl and the phillips head.  I have owned Kicks that rusted in my house sitting on a shelf. :o

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #47 on: September 29, 2008, 11:51:30 PM

Just looking at a Core now. The Zytel is used as a spacer, I can see why I think. The tool has a LOT of very large, big tools in the handles, meaning the handles need to be wide. I guess that gives you a choice of thickening the plier heads to nearly double their actual size, or using spacers.

The pliers would be unwieldy at twice the thickness, so I guess spacers are the way to go. Four sizeable chunks of steel might be heavy - and I'm guessing quite abrasive.

There's no stresses on the plastic at all, so apart from the risk of melting - I can't see a problem myself.

I've really beaten on this Core, it ain't going to break easily!

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #48 on: September 29, 2008, 11:57:23 PM

There's no stresses on the plastic at all, so apart from the risk of melting - I can't see a problem myself.

Right.  The melting was the only thing I was concerned with.  If I was in a survival situation and dropped my tool into a fire for a few seconds, I have a problem on my hands.  It is a rare possibility, but one that I would consider when buying a multi-tool w/plastic inserts vs. one without.  In fact, I would probably pass up SOG for that reason also.
- Terry

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #49 on: September 30, 2008, 12:01:10 AM

Right.  The melting was the only thing I was concerned with.  If I was in a survival situation and dropped my tool into a fire for a few seconds, I have a problem on my hands.  It is a rare possibility, but one that I would consider when buying a multi-tool w/plastic inserts vs. one without.  In fact, I would probably pass up SOG for that reason also.

It's a fair point - I'll give you that. I guess the same could be said of nylon washers too.

I'm curious now about how quickly or easily Zytel melts. Anyone lend me a Core?

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #50 on: September 30, 2008, 12:02:17 AM
I'm curious about that too.  I would imagine it has a fairly high melting point.
- Terry

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: September 30, 2008, 12:22:01 AM
Now which Zytel would that be....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zytel
:o :D

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #52 on: September 30, 2008, 12:57:42 AM

I'm sure it's Zytel® HTNWRF51MP20 NC010 20% Teflon®

Right?  :D   :ahhh
- Terry

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
Reply #53 on: September 30, 2008, 12:58:44 AM

I'm sure it's Zytel® HTNWRF51MP20 NC010 20% Teflon®

Right?  :D   :ahhh

In knives it's usually glass reinforced resins... does that narrow it down any?

No. :D
Got those frog legs.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #54 on: September 30, 2008, 01:01:01 AM
I doubt it would be in this case, since it is not a structural member.  I was thinking it may be teflon impregnated for the lubricity.
- Terry

Offline joebw

Reply #55 on: September 30, 2008, 01:14:46 AM
Hey Gang,

Plastics generally have a lousy coefficent of heat transfer.  In plain english, that means that they heat up very slowly.  Drop a kick, fuse or blast in a fire for a few seconds and you really won't see much happen. 

Having engineered lots of products using plastic components and having tested them in 1200 degree F fires for up to 30 minutes, I must observe that the nay-sayers need to go and learn a bit of materials engineering.

By the way, my normal EDC Leatherman (out of the 151 that I own) is the Blast.

Have fun and please don't get so serious ;)

Best - Joe

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #56 on: September 30, 2008, 01:30:41 AM
I didn't think we were getting that serious...  ???

When you test the plastics for heat transfer, are they layered up directly against a sheet of stainless steel?  I would think that the coefficient of heat transfer of a stainless part is going to be much greater than air or another piece of plastic.  What type of plastic does the Leatherman use in their design?

Could you assure me that, if I dropped a Core into the coal bed of a fire, and it took me 5 minutes to locate something to fish it out with, that the liner definitely would not melt?

Thanks for the insight.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 01:50:08 AM by NutSAK »
- Terry

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: September 30, 2008, 02:16:23 AM
[

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #58 on: September 30, 2008, 03:44:24 PM
Plastic inserts can also trap moisture behind them, leading to increased rust. At least, that seems to be the case with my Kick...

Could you post a picture of the rust you're seeing as a result of the trapped moisture?
- Terry

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #59 on: September 30, 2008, 07:07:17 PM
Could you post a picture of the rust you're seeing as a result of the trapped moisture?

I think I am losing my mind. I thought about it for a second and realized I had never even disassembled my Kick.  :oops:

I had a little rust on the phillips shank and on the exposed inside part of the handle, but I have never even looked behind the plastic inserts.   :-[

My best guess is that I was living vicariously through one of Spoonrobot's old posts.

I swear I thought I had taken it apart when I wrote that...  ???
[

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD