Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New 2017 Leathermans

Kampfer · 172 · 15897

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: New 2017 Leathermans
Reply #60 on: January 19, 2017, 09:32:39 AM
So, what was Leatherman's last real new MT?  The Rebar? :think:  No, the Signal.  Or am I forgetting something?*

I do understand everyone's disappointment, I really do.  What we want is something new and exciting, but what we get is something that our members have been doing for years and not even the best versions of those ideas.  What can be done with a half Sidekick/Wingman is just cool IMO.

*Really, am I forgetting something?  I feel like I'm forgetting something.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #61 on: January 19, 2017, 09:37:30 AM
Oh, and I feel like I've got to say this; for all you Leatherman fans that feel let down at the moment, why not try a Gerber, a SOG or a CRKT?  If you don''t have one already why not try a Vic Spirit?  They all do make some really good tools...it's just that not ALL the tools they make are great. :D  Seriously though, try an MP400, I doubt you'll be disappointed.

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #62 on: January 19, 2017, 10:15:50 AM
They could've done better if they stole an idea off the forum  :facepalm:

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #63 on: January 19, 2017, 11:39:18 AM
So, what was Leatherman's last real new MT?  The Rebar? :think:  No, the Signal.  Or am I forgetting something?*

I do understand everyone's disappointment, I really do.  What we want is something new and exciting, but what we get is something that our members have been doing for years and not even the best versions of those ideas.  What can be done with a half Sidekick/Wingman is just cool IMO.

*Really, am I forgetting something?  I feel like I'm forgetting something.
Signal and Tread as far as I know.
 I don't expect to see something new every year from LM. Why should they. They have a sweet line up. I would mainly like to see updates and improvements on there existing tools for a few years then if they what, make something that will upset the Multitool market.
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #64 on: January 19, 2017, 12:39:13 PM
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

us Offline metasyntax

Reply #65 on: January 19, 2017, 03:18:16 PM
I'm still a little surprised at the near universal reaction though.  A USA made, mid grade steel, light weight, OHO pocket knife with a 25 year guarantee from a known maker for $25 or less.  For those in the market I'm not seeing the downside. :think:

I think this is going to be the key selling point: made in the USA at $15–$20 on the shelf at every Wal-Mart/Target/Meijer and Lowe's/Home Depot/Menard's. And that sounds like a very good sales strategy. Now, there are some good knives around that price, such as the KABAR Dozier folding hunter (Taiwan, AUS-8), the Ontario RAT Model 2 (Taiwan, AUS-8), and the Buck #482 Bucklite Max medium folder (USA, 420HC). I'm sure there are more, these are just some of the ones that I have and know are quality. But of these manufacturers, only Buck has the market penetration to really compete in store. I have reservations about the design and implementation of the Skeletool knife, as I stated earlier. These are acceptable on a multi-tool (I've been very happily carrying my Skeletool for the last couple weeks), but they give me pause on a dedicated knife. I'm sure Leatherman will sell a ton of these though, for the marketing reasons mentioned. Which is a good thing, maybe they'll get back into making more knives.
May it be as the Pattern has chosen.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #66 on: January 19, 2017, 03:55:31 PM
Leatherman has never been overly successful with their knife lines.  No one wants a knife from Leatherman, they want pliers and bottle openers and saws and screwdrivers because that is what Leatherman is known for.   Just like no one ever bought a Sony Walkman Toaster.

This is a way for Leatherman to keep their costs way down and still e in the single bladed folding pocket knife segment, and for that I suppose it's a good thing.  But.... the ergonomics on this are strange and may even be potentially hazardous.

I like the Freestyle.  I'm rather lukewarm on the Skeletool, but they are both reasonably comfortable and ergonomic to use, especially the Freestyle since it doesn't have the carabiner sticking out underneath.  That's great, but the handle is also quite wide, and fits your hands well. 

The KBx handle is only half that, and if you look at a Skeletool or Freestyle you see that it is fairly square, which may cause it to roll a bit in your hand when you deploy the blade, since there may not be enough handle left in your hand to counteract it the way the Freestyle would.

I'm looking forward to trying one, and let's face it, at that price point why wouldn't you, but I don't have high hopes for this one.  However, I have been wrong before- I really doubted the point of the Freestyle before too...  :facepalm:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

fi Offline Padre

Reply #67 on: January 19, 2017, 03:58:31 PM
These are knives for people who arent interested of knives. Someone mentioned Ontario Rat 2, and these cannot compete with it quality wise, or any otherwise either.
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

us Offline metasyntax

Reply #68 on: January 19, 2017, 04:09:48 PM
I like the Juice B2 as a sort of modern traditional knife. And they brought back the full-sized Juice blades! :tu:

These are knives for people who arent interested of knives. Someone mentioned Ontario Rat 2, and these cannot compete with it quality wise, or any otherwise either.

I have no doubt the RAT 2 will be a better value and higher quality, but it won't be as cheap ($28 on KnifeCenter right now vs. $25 MSRP for the LM) and I've never seen one in a physical store.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 04:14:44 PM by metasyntax »
May it be as the Pattern has chosen.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #69 on: January 19, 2017, 04:17:29 PM
I like the Juice B2 as a sort of modern traditional knife. And they brought back the full-sized Juice blades! :tu:

I have no doubt the RAT 2 will be a better value and higher quality, but it won't be as cheap ($28 on KnifeCenter right now vs. $25 MSRP for the LM) and I've never seen one in a physical store.

It's the one I'm most likely to buy, but I'd have to find it on a deal first.  I'm sitting here trying to think of another non-OHO knife with a serrated blade. :think:

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #70 on: January 19, 2017, 04:33:40 PM
On my wishlist, given the amount of mods I see on the net, is the ability to swap out tools, pliers heads, etc. as needed. Or a customization site similar to Benchmade or Buck.

The Wave for me has always been perfect when I go camping etc. But as an urban edc it's an overkill to carry, and all the other MTs have a tool I don't need or not function as well.

A modular MT would be awesome, wish we had a LM rep as a MTO member. I remember seeing something similar (SAK like) to that concept but seemed lower quality. Would be great if a bigger company took on that challenge.

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #71 on: January 19, 2017, 04:45:22 PM
I almost feel like someone at Leatherman found a giant bin of the old Juice scales and blades, and aksed the engineering department to find a way to get rid of them all.
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

fi Offline Padre

Reply #72 on: January 19, 2017, 04:56:11 PM
I almost feel like someone at Leatherman found a giant bin of the old Juice scales and blades, and aksed the engineering department to find a way to get rid of them all.
It might be good news. Their spares for warranties are still there unused. Juice blades must be pretty tough afterall.
 ;)
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #73 on: January 19, 2017, 05:18:21 PM
I like the Skeletool blade shape, it just has too many holes in it. So I'm partially excited for those folders as they offer a nice blade in a really slim and light-weight package.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #74 on: January 19, 2017, 06:17:18 PM

It's the one I'm most likely to buy, but I'd have to find it on a deal first.  I'm sitting here trying to think of another non-OHO knife with a serrated blade. :think:
Cold steel Lucky
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #75 on: January 19, 2017, 06:39:30 PM

Cold steel Lucky
I'd forgotten about that one. :cheers:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #76 on: January 19, 2017, 06:47:47 PM

Cold steel Lucky
I'd forgotten about that one. :cheers:
I've also just remembered the Vic Bakers knife as well.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #77 on: January 19, 2017, 07:02:27 PM
Oh, and I feel like I've got to say this; for all you Leatherman fans that feel let down at the moment, why not try a Gerber, a SOG or a CRKT?  If you don''t have one already why not try a Vic Spirit?  They all do make some really good tools...it's just that not ALL the tools they make are great. :D  Seriously though, try an MP400, I doubt you'll be disappointed.

^^^ This!

A perfect time to broaden your horizons

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #78 on: January 19, 2017, 09:14:53 PM
I almost feel like someone at Leatherman found a giant bin of the old Juice scales and blades, and aksed the engineering Marketing department to find a way to get rid of them all.

FTFY  :whistle:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #79 on: January 19, 2017, 10:14:30 PM
I am still over here like :facepalm: Why haven't they came out with something plier based ::) They should have redone the Wave/Charge series like they did with the Surge and made a Surge sized Charge or expended the Rebar line with different toolsets :ahhh Why do we have ideas here and they don't and they have people that get paid to come up with stuff :rant:

Hoping that they are just late with a prototype tool and just didn't make it to SHOT but will be an early summer release :D

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #80 on: January 20, 2017, 12:31:30 AM
On another thought, people now can officially buy a Skele blade as spare. It is strange to call a folder as a tool in Skeletool. They are even lazy in naming  :facepalm:

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #81 on: January 20, 2017, 12:37:20 AM
Skeletool KB vs Buck 484, 484 is superior in very way.

Blade length: KB 2.75" ; 484: 2.75"
Blade Steel: KB 420Hc ; 484: 420HC
Weight: KB 1.5oz ; 484: 15.oz
Warrenty: KB 25yrs ; 484: Forever
MSRP: KB $25 ; 484: $22

« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 12:43:24 AM by Kampfer »
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #82 on: January 20, 2017, 01:50:15 AM
Or almost exactly the same. ;)

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #83 on: January 20, 2017, 02:15:26 AM
Been saying it for years. Praying it, really.

Tim needs to come out of retirement. With a vengeance. Bloody, brutal vengeance. Take his company back. Design, or ask designers how much money they want to save Leatherman.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #84 on: January 20, 2017, 03:08:26 AM
I kind of like the Skele-knife. I think I'll get one. I wish it incorporated at least the driver and bit storage. I also wish, that instead of just different paint jobs, that they offered different blade options; the serrated sheepsfoot (with glass breaker!), 154cm plain edge, 420 combo, and maybe introduce a tanto.

The Juices are pretty disappointing IMHO. You know Leatherman have seen the amazing Single-wing Wingmen that have been so well documented here on MTO, they really, really, really should have given consumers a production version. That would blow these Juices away.

I am curious about the box-cutter tool, the timing that it showed up on Trademarkia is interesting. Basically right before SHOT. It seems like they would have wanted to either have it ready in time for SHOT 2017 or waited longer to file and have it ready for SHOT 2018.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #85 on: January 20, 2017, 03:18:45 AM
Or almost exactly the same. ;)

That is what I was thinking :think:

:shrug:

:D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #86 on: January 20, 2017, 03:21:04 AM
The Juice knives would have been better had they incorporated other tools instead of just the blades :think: It really looks as though they had leftover parts from the old Juice line and just wanted to use them :facepalm:

I would be up for a Juice knife with PE blade, diamond file, saw and scissors :dd: :like: :like:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #87 on: January 20, 2017, 11:35:46 AM
Knife and diamond file would definitely be more interesting to me. :)

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #88 on: January 20, 2017, 03:17:07 PM
The Juice knives would have been better had they incorporated other tools instead of just the blades :think: It really looks as though they had leftover parts from the old Juice line and just wanted to use them :facepalm:

I would be up for a Juice knife with PE blade, diamond file, saw and scissors :dd: :like: :like:
Yes, a KF4 with scissors in place of one of the blades, or even the woodsaw in my case as I have rarely used one.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

K-Tibbs

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #89 on: January 20, 2017, 04:38:33 PM
Another "Second" for LM? These 1/2 tools have been made here for a while now, mostly with a better tool layout. I wonder if they had excess parts lying around?

Pete

THIS ^^^

SIGH. 

LM all you have to do is ask one of OUR modders to come up with tools for you  :pok:

UPDATE the WAVE.  R&D a Surge blade exchanger to fit the Wave and add the Rebar Plier head while you are at it.  Ditch the Serrated blade and add OHO scissors at the same time omit the small scissor and add an AWL.  Ditch the small bit driver an maybe add a Chisel?

Maybe off some other tool in BO?  I'd love to see the Crunch in BO.  Maybe offer the Crunch in a A100 configuration?  LM pruners?  Maybe re-design the Juice and offer it in BO?  I don't know I'm just spitballing here.

Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD