Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

JamesJ's Urban EDC SAK Prototype 1

us Offline JamesJ

• No Life Club
JamesJ's Urban EDC SAK Prototype 1
on: January 30, 2017, 10:56:17 AM
Here is the first version of my urban EDC SAK. As Classicrock77 said over on instagram, it could be called a Yeoman Mechanic with file.

I chose specific versions of each tool to my preference, like the sturdier-feeling pre-2005 blade, pliers with crimper,  and version 3 (not as aggressive) metal file.

This combinaton works well for bikes and guitars. The IL phillips is great on guitar neck plate and strap button screws (which often need tightening), and to adjust bicycle derailleurs. The file is ok on fingernails and guitar picks, and the pliers have crimpers for bicycle derailleur/brake cable nipples and can cut my preferred guage of guitar strings.

Since there's no awl, I used plus scales and a custom poker that takes the pen slot. In some ways it's superior as a poking tool, though it can't ream holes.

It contains:
-crossbow stamp blade (since these are thicker at the tang)
-combo tool (to keep the thickness down a bit)
-screw scissors/no guide groove
-newer short IL phillips
-version 3 magnifier
-pliers w/crimper
-version 3 metal file (since it works on nails)

And on back:
-fluted cork screw
-hook
-fine screwdriver (chosen over the chisel since there is no can opener tip SD)

Scale tools:
-toothpick
-tweazers
-pin
-poker in pen slot (since there is no awl)

Planned revisions:
-move layers around so file can be opened without first opening pliers, and for easier access to backside SD
-replace poker (which came to me in a used SAK) with a stainless one with a head shape more like the pen's plastic head
-replace scissors with the screw/guide groove variety (I prefer this version)

This SAK pairs well with a Farmer, which adds the robust cap lifter and dedicated can opener, inline awl and wood saw.

2017-01-30 01.54.56.jpg
* 2017-01-30 01.54.56.jpg (Filesize: 412.42 KB)
2017-01-30 01.55.17.jpg
* 2017-01-30 01.55.17.jpg (Filesize: 366.04 KB)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 11:33:05 AM by JamesJ »
-JJL
instagram: jamesjlarue (warning, lots of cat pics along with the SAKs)

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Re: JamesJ's Urban EDC SAK Prototype 1
Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 04:34:34 PM
This looks excellent, well done!  :salute:  This sounds close to a Troubleshooter (which is one of my favorites) with the added bonus inline phillips and mag. :tu:

I like the idea of making a combo with little redundancy, so having a Farmer nearby means not having to miss the opener layer (and awl). 

us Offline JamesJ

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 07:56:29 PM
This looks excellent, well done!  :salute:  This sounds close to a Troubleshooter (which is one of my favorites) with the added bonus inline phillips and mag. :tu:

I like the idea of making a combo with little redundancy, so having a Farmer nearby means not having to miss the opener layer (and awl).

I always consider getting a troubleshooter...I'm not sure if I'm remembering correctly that they don't have crimpers on the pliers though.

Inline phillips with pliers is rare. I have a Champ, sure. This is just smaller. It's smaller than a Craftsman.

After a while I'm gonna rebuild it as v2. I have some donors on the way.  :cheers:
-JJL

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 08:08:32 PM
I cheated and built my Troubleshooter from a Swisschamp :) though I think I still like the inline phillips idea better.  I'm excited to see v2  :popcorn:  :cheers:
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 08:10:24 PM by eddie1115 »

us Offline JamesJ

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 09:51:48 PM
I cheated and built my Troubleshooter from a Swisschamp :) though I think I still like the inline phillips idea better.  I'm excited to see v2  :popcorn:  :cheers:

This one was built from a 91mm Golfer, modern SwissChamp, scissors from unknown SAK, liners, blade and file from Craftsman. I love cheap Champs cuz it means you can basically have almost any model. The combo tool was the hardest thing to find cheap.
-JJL

id Offline classicrock

• With every mistake we must surely be learning
Reply #5 on: February 02, 2017, 02:10:01 AM
Hi James. Did you swap the pliers and the file position?

Sent from my SM-J500G using Tapatalk

-Supported by Manager/Small Tinker/Compact/Deluxe Tinker/Spirit XC-

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69