Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Kershaw Funxion EMT

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Kershaw Funxion EMT
on: February 23, 2017, 04:52:17 PM
I am pretty sure that spellcheck is going to go nuts every time I try to type Funxion EMT, but so be it.  Technology could use a bit of a hardship here and there to remind it whois really in charge.   :facepalm:

The Funxion EMT is a good looking knife and has the important basic stuff such as a glass reinforced nylon handle, low ride pocket clip and a partially serrated assisted opening blade.  What more could you want?  Well, you better have a list ready, because the Funxion EMT offers a lot more.

According to Kershaw:

The new 8100 has all the features of the Funxion EMT—functions that can make all the difference in an emergency situation. But this new Funxion EMT is in a lighter weight version thanks to a glass-filled nylon handle with non-slip K-Texture™ insert.

Equipped with SpeedSafe assisted opening, the blade opens quickly and is ready to help instantly. A quick pull back on the ambidextrous flipper or push on the thumbstud and it's ready for use, right now. The big, drop-point blade is ideal for taking on a wide variety of everyday and not-so-everyday cutting tasks. The 8Cr13MoV blade steel offers excellent wear resistance, toughness, and edge retention. Separate locking liners for the blade and other tools ensure safety. The partially serrated blade can cut through webbing to free trapped accident victims. The cord cutter makes quick work of nylon cording. There's a hex bolt wrench and a screwdriver tip built into the cord cutter arm. A carbide glassbreaker tip can help get you out of a tough situation.

The Funxion EMT's handle is lightweight and sturdy. A non-slip K-Texture™ insert enhances a secure grip. The Funxion EMT comes with Kershaw’s deep-carry clip for secure pocket carry—or clip it just about anywhere with the built-in carabiner. For additional safety, when the carabiner is out, the blade is locked closed.

And you thought SOG was bad when it comes to putting their logo everywhere.  Kershaw has turned their branding into a feature.  Maybe if the company name was Othello they would have taken the opportunity to put suction cups all over it.   :facepalm:

Conveniently the Funxion EMT has a one handed opening, liner locking caribiner because let's face it, you never know when you will need to lock a carabine while your other hand is busy doing something, like perhaps Googling how to lock a carabine with one hand.  As much as I am making fun of it though, it is quite handy to be able to snap out the carabiner to hang it somewhere, but probably not much more convenient than using the pocket clip and putting it back in your pocket.

Getting on to it's rescue functions, and the reason this is in the Rescue Tools forum rather than Edged Tools, where all the best pointy things belong, is this auxilliary pointy thing, the carbide glass breaker.  This is a typical carbide glass breaker found in many other emergency/rescue tools, and unfortunately my neighbours are very light sleepers and therefore I was unable to test it. 

The last bit though is the bit that makes the Funxion EMT (every time I type that I think of Jeremy Clarkson doing it in a dramatic tone- Ladies and gentlemen, the FUNXION EMT.... of the world....) into a legitimate Rescue Tool and firmly out of the tactical knife category... you know, despite the assisted opening blade, the colourful black on black on black on black pallette and the low rider pocket clip.

Starting at the outer end and moving towards the handle you have a flathead screwdriver tip, a cord cutter, a 1/4" wrench and an EMT's best friend, the bottle opener.  All of these are functional tools and the whole thing locks open with a liner lock, but I have to wonder what the thinking was to add in a one handed opening carabiner but then have the useful, rescue, emergency oriented tools tucked away on the back?

See how hidden it is when it is folded away?  I am hoping that the person rescuing me from a burning wreck isn't carrying this tool, as I would likely expire while they are fiddling with trying to get the cord cutter out.   :oops:

Overall I like the Funxion EMT- it is a nice knife and the handle fills your hands nicely.  It looks good and the lock up is solid, the assisted opening works as well as it should and this knife almost jumps out of your hand when you hit the flipper.  The front side of the handle with the K's is very grippy but the back handle is a bit on the slick side.

I wouldn't suggest this knife as a dedicated EMT tool, but it makes a nice EDC knife with some extra functions that could really come in handy, whether you are just trying to open a bottle or need to help someone who is having a really bad day.  Bottom line, it's a good EDC knife but I question it's credentials as an EMT specific knife.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

dk Offline T14

• Embrace the SAK
Re: Kershaw Funxion EMT
Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 08:04:44 PM
a rescue situation may involve blood and/or other body fluids getting on/into the tool. Hence the carabiner clip may be prefereable to a pocket clip in some situations.  :)
All I know is that I don't know anything - but I can't prove it!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Kershaw Funxion EMT
Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 12:08:40 AM
I suppose that is an option, but I still think I'd rather get at the strap cutter faster than the carabiner.

That's just me and my limited rescue experience and all.  I mean the argument for that could easily be "well then just use the blade" which then begs the question of why have the other part at all?  Or at least, why have the cutter on it at all?  None of the other tools would require quick access and could easily be folded out more leisurely. 

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $279.86
PayPal Fees: $14.66
Net Balance: $265.20
Below Goal: $34.80
Site Currency: USD
88%