Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My alarm clock lives again

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
My alarm clock lives again
on: March 01, 2017, 10:25:09 PM
Many many years ago when I went off to college, my parents bought an alarm clock to take with me. It was pretty darn expensive back then, something like $60 or $70 freedom bucks. It's been working just fine ever since, except in the past few years the buttons on top of display gradually stopped responding so setting time and alarm became such a pain, I just used my cellphone instead. Sure I could buy a new one for $10 nowadays, but this one is sentimental and except the buttons it works like it did on day one.

Today I set off to resurrect my old friend. The casing actually have arrows pointing at which Phillips screws to remove to open it, certainly different from all the hidden/security/completely lack of fasteners today.

What was interesting is the tactile switches on top of screen are different from the ones on side. Side ones are the common black plastic buttons, but these are copper coned disc with plastic membrane held on by a clip, strange that they would use two different types in the same clock. I managed to pop the clip off without too much damage, and found the bottom of all the copper disc oxidized and blued. It appears to have caused by arcing, didn't think it was possible on low voltage components like this but here it is. I guess being DC it tend to arc more.

So the fix was simple, cleaned up all the contact and back of discs with wire brush, coat with thin layer of dielectric grease, and reassemble.

And that was that, all buttons work perfectly now, good as new.  :D
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 10:27:29 PM by jzmtl »

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Re: My alarm clock lives again
Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 10:41:34 PM
Great work! Always good when it's actually possible to repair something!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 10:42:02 PM
Ahh, nothing like fixing electronics.  :like:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 11:07:00 PM
Cool, I needed a new alarm clock, so I got a fancy time, temp, date, and other stuff one.. but sometimes the older ones are better..
JR
IMG_6037.PNG
* IMG_6037.PNG (Filesize: 279.35 KB)
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 11:47:39 PM
Nice work Jie!

I must have thrown out a hundred or so clock radios since 2001!   :ahhh

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 02:31:21 AM
Heh yeah, I don't think any of the new stuff is fixable like this anymore. Those surface mounted stuff are impossible to do by hand assuming you can open the case without destroying it.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 03:55:44 AM
Great fix and it is great having an old friend like that back in your life again :D :like: :like:

Fixing things if possible is always my favorite option as well and glad it was an easy fix :tu:

nz Offline moonweasel

Reply #7 on: March 02, 2017, 11:22:43 AM
Nice work.
Probably a little difficult to get hold of in your part of the world, but this stuff is well worth tracking down.

I can't tell you how many buttons (same, but in car fobs) that this has rescued saving my customers a few hundred bucks in the process. It cleans out that blue/green smurf crap very well from that copper corrosion, almost like magic.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #8 on: March 02, 2017, 11:45:36 AM
When I moved to Europe in 2001 I threw out the digital alarm clock my mom gave me when I was about 10, that made it about 17 years old, it still worked and was falling apart. Sadly it wouldn't work on euro voltage so I figured it was about time to retire it. My wife (at the time girlfriend) bought me a replacement that plays CDs (including mp3 CDs)  with a battery backup. It works great but I do miss my old one... (I think the tuner was far superior in spite of it's age)
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: March 02, 2017, 12:13:18 PM
Nice work.
Probably a little difficult to get hold of in your part of the world, but this stuff is well worth tracking down.
(Image removed from quote.)
I can't tell you how many buttons (same, but in car fobs) that this has rescued saving my customers a few hundred bucks in the process. It cleans out that blue/green smurf crap very well from that copper corrosion, almost like magic.
Does it work on SAKs? :D

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #10 on: March 02, 2017, 12:41:15 PM
Nice work.
When I worked in electronics manufacturing we used alcohol and a toothbrush to clean flux and process debris/gunk off the circuit boards, but I can see how a spray like that might work better for most.
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #11 on: March 02, 2017, 01:27:00 PM
I thought I was the only person still using a clock radio. Excuse the mess my son is staying with me at the moment.

“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #12 on: March 02, 2017, 01:46:12 PM
Nice work on the clock. Sometimes I get lucky and can fix things like that or get unlucky and it let's the magic smoke out. I wonder if I am the only that still uses a wind up clock?
Nate

SEND IT!

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #13 on: March 03, 2017, 01:14:08 AM
Nice work.

CRC is quite common here actually, but I think they don't cater to the mass market since I've never seen them in retail, only in shops.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%