Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Mechanic question??

us Offline 4everYoung

Mechanic question??
on: March 02, 2017, 09:56:19 PM
Well I've been wanting a SAK with pliers for a while. Seems like every one was way too large for me to pocket carry. (I'm not a fan of thick SAKs.). Until I came across the mechanic during my research. It seemed to fit the bill being only 3 layers thick.
Problem was, I couldn't find a lot of people who actually have/review the mechanic. Is there something I'm missing. Is this a less than desirable SAK for some reason? My initial thought is because it doesn't have a scissors layer. But I'm just speculating.
Either way I bought one to give it a try but I thought I would ask those who have been in the SAK world longer than me.
Here's the one I picked up.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Re: Mechanic question??
Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 10:02:38 PM
Don't worry, the mechanic is a great SAK!  :like:
The reason you may not see many talking about it is because it is discontinued and relatively rare, like the scientist and the yeoman.

As for its defining feature, the pliers, you should make up your own mind. They are not heavy or even medium duty like LM, Spirit, and might be thought of as giant tweezers. But they are great for their size, like the Victorinox scissors.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 10:04:39 PM by Pablo O'Brien »
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

fi Offline Padre

Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 10:10:11 PM
The pliers are more for grabbing a coffee pot above campfire and such, bending fishing hooks and crafty stuff like that. I wouldnt use them for any... well tougher mechanical stuff. Sure they can come in handy, but their layer sure is pretty thick.

If you are an hobbyist of some sort you might enjoy mechanic, but the name is little bit off. :)
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 10:11:32 PM
The mechanic pliers are a good size for computer work as well, I hear. :)

All hail the hook!

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 10:17:58 PM
They are great!!!!  Every summer when "sticker" season is here, there usually is one on the lamp table by the door, to pull off grass burrs on pant legs and shoes/boots. It's a neat SAK but for me, it lacks the scissors and file to be a perfect EDC.

That's a cool one you picked up!!! :salute: Don't forget the 2 layer Pliers model.....The Special Mechanic!

SpMech.JPG
* SpMech.JPG (Filesize: 81.29 KB)
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 10:20:51 PM
They are great!!!!  Every summer when "sticker" season is here, there usually is one on the lamp table by the door, to pull off grass burrs on pant legs and shoes/boots. It's a neat SAK but for me, it lacks the scissors and file to be a perfect EDC.

That's a cool one you picked up!!! :salute: Don't forget the 2 layer Pliers model.....The Special Mechanic!
Dang it, don't tell him about the others or he'll have to buy them!  :megaslap:  :whistle:

All hail the hook!

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 10:27:24 PM

Dang it, don't tell him about the others or he'll have to buy them!  :megaslap:  :whistle:

Oops....   :D
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline Wire Edge

Reply #7 on: March 02, 2017, 10:41:18 PM
I bet you'll really like the Mechanic, especially with StayGlow scales!  I had one but missed the scissors, so I ended up with a StayGlow Deluxe Tinker.   It's a great Vic and I find lots of uses for the light duty pliers.  Tearing the heavy foil seal off the top of coffee creamer is something they excel at!

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #8 on: March 02, 2017, 10:56:25 PM
Yea I had come across the special mechanic in my searching. It did peak my interest. The one I found were more than I wanted to pay tho.
I am glad to hear that there isn't some inherent flaw that I was missing in them.
As for the pliers, I realize they aren't really beefy. I kinda had something like squirt pliers in mind as comparison.
Basically I'm riding a desk at work now but I occasionally go out in the field. I do wood work and some home remodeling as a hobby and would use it pull staples or other small tasks as such.

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: March 02, 2017, 11:06:22 PM
Weapon of choice for pulling out nose hairs!

:mn:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: March 02, 2017, 11:08:37 PM

Ouuuch and ewwww.   :rofl:

All hail the hook!

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: March 02, 2017, 11:12:19 PM
Trust me, it's better than a Zippo.

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #12 on: March 02, 2017, 11:21:45 PM

Hmmmm sounds legit to me

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: March 02, 2017, 11:46:53 PM
Yea I had come across the special mechanic in my searching. It did peak my interest. The one I found were more than I wanted to pay tho.
I am glad to hear that there isn't some inherent flaw that I was missing in them.
As for the pliers, I realize they aren't really beefy. I kinda had something like squirt pliers in mind as comparison.
Basically I'm riding a desk at work now but I occasionally go out in the field. I do wood work and some home remodeling as a hobby and would use it pull staples or other small tasks as such.

:cheers: Great!!!  As you probably already know, the can opener excels at prying up staples and those pliers will work great to pull 'em out!  :2tu:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #14 on: March 03, 2017, 12:21:47 AM

:cheers: Great!!!  As you probably already know, the can opener excels at prying up staples and those pliers will work great to pull 'em out!  :2tu:

Actually I haven't tried using the can opener for that yet. I'll keep that in mind though. Thanks for the tip!

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: March 03, 2017, 02:55:29 AM
I own one and honestly rarely carry it because if I need a tool like that the Skeletool is usually just as good if not better. I will have to give it another try soon.

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: March 03, 2017, 02:58:42 AM
Dont get me wrong though. It is a great sak

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #17 on: March 03, 2017, 03:21:55 AM
I own one and honestly rarely carry it because if I need a tool like that the Skeletool is usually just as good if not better. I will have to give it another try soon.
Actually the Skeletool is what I'm sorta looking to replace. Well not really replace but I guess replicate. Right now I carry the Skeletool and pioneer x. Use the pioneer x more now for cutting (usually food prep). So I'm trying something similar but using 1 knife. Maybe

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: March 03, 2017, 03:27:45 AM

Actually I haven't tried using the can opener for that yet. I'll keep that in mind though. Thanks for the tip!

:cheers:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: March 03, 2017, 04:34:40 AM
Actually the Skeletool is what I'm sorta looking to replace. Well not really replace but I guess replicate. Right now I carry the Skeletool and pioneer x. Use the pioneer x more now for cutting (usually food prep). So I'm trying something similar but using 1 knife. Maybe
Have you looked at the deluxe tinker? That way you still get scissors if that is important.

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #20 on: March 03, 2017, 04:39:53 AM
Mechanic was my first even SAK/MT, I used it hard for many years until it gone AWOL after we moved into our new home.
Mechanic has the same tool set as Leatherman Skeletool, but of course its pliers is no match to LM's.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #21 on: March 03, 2017, 05:07:42 AM
Have you looked at the deluxe tinker? That way you still get scissors if that is important.

Yea I did and it was and it was quite the battle to determine which one I wanted. I opted for the Mechanic because I carry a Rambler on my keys now. So that takes care of most my scissor needs. The extra layer I thought may make me not as likely to carry it.

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: March 03, 2017, 05:08:32 AM

Yea I did and it was and it was quite the battle to determine which one I wanted. I opted for the Mechanic because I carry a Rambler on my keys now. So that takes care of most my scissor needs. The extra layer I thought may make me not as likely to carry it.
Gotcha. That makes sense!

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Reply #23 on: March 03, 2017, 11:17:17 PM
If anyone is still looking for a Mechanic, that mountain knife works still has some. Just FYI.  I like mine, but switched to a Deluxe Tinker in a belt sheath - just has a few more tools that I use quite a bit.

Rich
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #24 on: March 06, 2017, 09:44:00 PM
Mechanic showed up today

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: March 06, 2017, 10:05:42 PM
 :woohoo:
What's your impression?

All hail the hook!

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #26 on: March 06, 2017, 10:44:18 PM
:woohoo:
What's your impression?

Well I haven't examined it thoroughly yet. But my initial impression is a good one. The pliers and back side tools are the biggest change up from my normal SAK carry (pioneer x). When I first ordered it I knew it was a 3 layer that was gonna be thicker than normal due to the plier thickness. After holding it in hand it's not bad at all. The pliers surprised me the most. I was on the fence out them honestly. But after fiddling with them, they seem quite useful.
Haven't really messed with the backside tools other than opening them up. I plan do a 30 day carry and review of it after my minimalist challenge is over.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: March 06, 2017, 11:17:33 PM
I'm looking forward to that!  :salute:

All hail the hook!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!