Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The HOOK brings you back

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
The HOOK brings you back
on: March 16, 2017, 05:09:59 AM
Every good song needs a solid hook and well, I'm starting to believe every SAK does too.  The multipurpose hook is the victim of ridicule from many an unimaginative soul.   You may not readily assume that a pocket knife would come equipped with a hook, understandably so, and I must admit I can see the hook coming off as a bit curious or unexpected.   I, however, find when carrying a SAK that has the hook, I feel all the more equipped to handle a variety of daily tasks.  In my experience, the multipurpose hook is great for turning a variety of hooks and screw eyes,  stretching out new guitar strings, prying that keychain open, and of course, helping me carry things.   I'd say my most frequent use of the hook is a mount for the pen on my Compact and Climber +. (Kind of a boring application so I'll spare you pics   :D)

I recently participated in the a minimal challenge and started a small project using only a SAK.  The hook really came in useful, especially for those final turns on the brass hooks to spare my fingers.  Just turning the SAK on its side will give you more leverage, just have to be careful with the soft brass.

So what do you think of the hook?   I also welcome any criticism of aforementioned hook!   You probably won't convince me not to like it but I'd like to see you try! :duel:

Thanks for reading!   :cheers:
hook.jpg
* hook.jpg (Filesize: 46.1 KB)
WP_20170315_20_15_33_Pro#1.jpg
* WP_20170315_20_15_33_Pro#1.jpg (Filesize: 57.71 KB)
WP_20170315_20_19_24_Pro.jpg
* WP_20170315_20_19_24_Pro.jpg (Filesize: 128.02 KB)
WP_20170315_20_20_53_Pro.jpg
* WP_20170315_20_20_53_Pro.jpg (Filesize: 115.54 KB)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 05:12:35 AM by El Corkscrew »
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: The HOOK brings you back
Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 06:21:57 AM
Excellent pics sir.   :salute:   :salute:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 06:23:32 AM
I quite like the hook. Handy little tool. One with a file is on my want list.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 06:24:36 AM
Also, if such things interest you, there is a hook badge.

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 09:30:11 AM
Nice use of the hook!

The hook is one of those tools that has the unique power of Making Your Day. The hook sits there on the back of your knife, waiting for an opportunity to unexpectedly surprise you with its usefulness.
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 09:38:26 AM
Yea the hook is great!  :like:

I would be VERY careful twisting it like that, the hook is the only tool that jothra managed to damage on Vicky the huntsman, and it was caused by twisting.  :oops:
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,46255.msg762902.html#msg762902
I recommend reading the whole thread, its funny and informative!
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

nl Offline Mactire404

• There's a SAK for that!
Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 10:04:15 AM
The Multipurpose Hook, a highly underestimated tool indeed.

he hook sits there on the back of your knife, waiting for an opportunity to unexpectedly surprise you with its usefulness.
This is very accurate and very poetic!

It's not just a parcel carrier, seriously, who still ties his packages? It's all tape these days.

The hook has a very satisfying element of surprise to it. And it saved my day on more than one occasion.

Once I was riding my bike to school, it was exam day! Halfway my chain got derailed and got stuck, really stuck, between the rear gears. It was impossible to budge. I tried sticks, my hands. I was a oily mess and nothing worked. Then I recalled my Handymand an opened the hook. One tug and the chain was free! I quickly replaced it and raced to school.  Just shy of 20 minutes late, the deadline for entry.

It's also good for tightening steel wire by twisting. It makes a good SAK stand for photo's. It once helped me remove a stuck drawer and pull a thin line tight on another occasion.
And, as mentioned by the OP, turning hooks.

I wouldn't want to miss the hook!
My SAK collection and more: http://pocketknives.home.blog

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 10:52:49 AM
After reading this thread as well as the 30 Huntsman challenge "nice read" I will be considering the hook a lot more often.  :tu:

Thanks,
Mike
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 10:54:36 AM
 :2tu:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #9 on: March 16, 2017, 12:07:52 PM
I've used the hook for almost everything except carrying parcels.  I have to find  bundle and give it a shot!
Barry

us Offline FolderBeholder

Reply #10 on: March 16, 2017, 12:22:20 PM
I like how this guy uses the hook on a box in order to not mess up the box.
It starts at location 1:40.  Watch until 2:19, he uses it twice.  :tu:

https://youtu.be/y8wPp5YJ9Hw
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 12:26:29 PM by FolderBeholder »
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: March 16, 2017, 12:31:59 PM
Every good song needs a solid hook and well, I'm starting to believe every SAK does too.  The multipurpose hook is the victim of ridicule from many an unimaginative soul.   You may not readily assume that a pocket knife would come equipped with a hook, understandably so, and I must admit I can see the hook coming off as a bit curious or unexpected.   I, however, find when carrying a SAK that has the hook, I feel all the more equipped to handle a variety of daily tasks.  In my experience, the multipurpose hook is great for turning a variety of hooks and screw eyes,  stretching out new guitar strings, prying that keychain open, and of course, helping me carry things.   I'd say my most frequent use of the hook is a mount for the pen on my Compact and Climber +. (Kind of a boring application so I'll spare you pics   :D)

I recently participated in the a minimal challenge and started a small project using only a SAK.  The hook really came in useful, especially for those final turns on the brass hooks to spare my fingers.  Just turning the SAK on its side will give you more leverage, just have to be careful with the soft brass.

So what do you think of the hook?   I also welcome any criticism of aforementioned hook!   You probably won't convince me not to like it but I'd like to see you try! :duel:

Thanks for reading!   :cheers:

Hell of a nice topic here mate  :2tu:  :salute:

I've seen so many people slag off the hook (as well as some other tools) because they don't understand it's purpose or think it's a superfluous tool. I think it really boils down to how each person understand the possible usefulness of things, meaning in this case when they look to a sak tool, what do they see...?

I've seen some youtube reviews and opinions, and some folks don't understand why the can opener still exists on s sak for example, the logic is few people open cans with an opener anymore, and most cans have pull tabs.
My question would be: Well, what do you see when you look to the can opener then...? Probably just a blade to open cans, with a small flathead on the front...
I look at it as a flat piece of metal with a curved reasonably sharp edge on the front, as well as a flathead, and a curved spike on the back that, aside from it's intended primary function of opening cans, can be a flathead / philips screwdriver, a ligh use pry bar, a great scraper, box opener, since the front has kind of a hook shape a hook to pull stuff, the spike on the back can also be used to twist wire with, and so on... Whatever comes to your mind at the time... How's that for a tool that is supposed to be to open cans?  I probably used the can opener on saks like twice in my life to actually open a can, but i wouldn't buy a full sized sak without one.

Same as the hook, a lot of people look at it as the "parcel hook" so since they don't need to carry parcel's the hook is "useless" and "a waste of space"... I look at the hook as a piece of metal hook shaped, that can be used for anything as a piece  of metal hook shaped could possibly be. It takes exactly the same space as if it wasn't there, it weigh's next to nothing too.

That's the whole philosophy of a sak to me, don't look at a tool just for the function the manufacturer says on paper, look at it as a piece of metal shaped in a certain way that can be useful for whatever the hell your mind (and immediate need) can come up with and improvise. And it's in your pocket, with you, ready to be used at any time it's needed.

Always think outside of the box and keep a loose and open mind
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 02:19:18 PM by MacGyver »
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: March 16, 2017, 12:42:53 PM
And look at the tools beyond their primary function?  :)

All hail the hook!

nl Offline Mactire404

• There's a SAK for that!
Reply #13 on: March 16, 2017, 01:46:55 PM

I think it all boils down to this. The ability to see potential in any situation.
If you have the flexibility of mind a hook can be anything, so can a canopener (also a great orange peeler by the way ^_~).
My SAK collection and more: http://pocketknives.home.blog

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #14 on: March 16, 2017, 03:20:51 PM
I started this poll once, out of curiosity. http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,58265.msg1056172.html#msg1056172

The hook got a considerable dislike percentage.  :-\

Personally, I like the hook.
Show content
And the fish scaler. Combo tool, not so much.
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: March 16, 2017, 03:29:36 PM
I agree with you on the combo tool, it simply cannot do as much as the openers can.

And less people would dislike the fishscaler if they saw it as a general purpose ruler/fork/metal poky thing.  :tu:

All hail the hook!

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #16 on: March 16, 2017, 03:35:00 PM
I agree with you on the combo tool, it simply cannot do as much as the openers can.

And less people would dislike the fishscaler if they saw it as a general purpose ruler/fork/metal poky thing.  :tu:

I agree with everything you just said :cheers:
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: March 16, 2017, 04:20:50 PM
The most important use I have for the Hook is keeping this guy entertained! He likes to pretend he's Captain Hook.
IMG_20170224_130917.jpg
* IMG_20170224_130917.jpg (Filesize: 139.93 KB)
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #18 on: March 16, 2017, 04:56:14 PM
Yea the hook is great!  :like:

I would be VERY careful twisting it like that, the hook is the only tool that jothra managed to damage on Vicky the huntsman, and it was caused by twisting.  :oops:
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,46255.msg762902.html#msg762902
I recommend reading the whole thread, its funny and informative!

:salute:

Thanks for the tip! I was using brass hooks so they definitely started giving before the hook, a couple actually broke... But no blisters on me fingers!  :cheers:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #19 on: March 16, 2017, 05:40:04 PM
 :like:  :like:  :like:

So many great replies!!!

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #20 on: March 16, 2017, 05:45:48 PM
Love the hook personally. Used it to great effect building a chicken coop (threading wire through timber uprights to secure netting ) the hook was brilliant for pulling the wire back through. Also used it a few times for an extra couple of inches stretching behind a chest of drawers to retrieve something dropped down the back.

There's always the classic 'Zip line' use when escaping from baddies on a cable car, and this clip from the excellent 'Moonrise Kingdom' must be shown - It's the SAK law:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl1Fm7uzVfI
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: March 16, 2017, 05:54:02 PM
I started this poll once, out of curiosity. http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,58265.msg1056172.html#msg1056172

The hook got a considerable dislike percentage.  :-\

Personally, I like the hook.
Show content
And the fish scaler. Combo tool, not so much.

I've seen the pool and read the topic, still can't understand from the reason's given to why people dislike the hook and like it to be gone.
Let's consider: Even if one hardly uses the hook, or see's much use for it at all, why the hell would it be better if it wasn't there when the hook takes up absolutely no extra space, and practically adds almost no extra weight and can be useful for something, eventually?

It makes no sense to me, being  there is better than not being there as far as function and usefulness goes.

Now if one argues that he prefers not having the hook there for an aesthetics's purpose (with just the plain spring on the back), that i can understand as a reason, for example...
Or if they invented another tool to go with the scissor's on that spring instead of the hook that one might find more usefull, that i can also understand as a reason...
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 06:02:22 PM by MacGyver »
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #22 on: March 16, 2017, 06:43:20 PM

I think it all boils down to this. The ability to see potential in any situation.
If you have the flexibility of mind a hook can be anything, so can a canopener (also a great orange peeler by the way ^_~).

Exactly.   :cheers:

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #23 on: March 16, 2017, 06:52:08 PM
Love the hook personally. Used it to great effect building a chicken coop (threading wire through timber uprights to secure netting ) the hook was brilliant for pulling the wire back through. Also used it a few times for an extra couple of inches stretching behind a chest of drawers to retrieve something dropped down the back.

There's always the classic 'Zip line' use when escaping from baddies on a cable car, and this clip from the excellent 'Moonrise Kingdom' must be shown - It's the SAK law:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl1Fm7uzVfI

:like:

Classic film.

Also good for reaching up to that high air vent
WP_20170316_10_46_28_Pro.jpg
* WP_20170316_10_46_28_Pro.jpg (Filesize: 54.35 KB)

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #24 on: March 16, 2017, 06:59:52 PM

Thanks for the reply, FB!  Genius!  I love that guy's videos.

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: March 16, 2017, 07:24:49 PM

Thanks for sharing the video FB. That is a use for the hook I had not thought of. :like:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #26 on: March 16, 2017, 08:18:18 PM
Congrats, badge awarded.   :cheers:

us Offline Danjo

Reply #27 on: March 16, 2017, 10:40:12 PM
Why ANY tool should be dismissed or bagged on is beyond me. Especially with SAKs. When there are so many tool combinations available, there is no reason to not get the one that has the tools out want and not one's you don't. You don't need a particular tool?; Get a different model. Don't generalize from the specific, and assume that because YOU have no use for something, no one else does either. I hate "reviews" where half of the tools are dismissed out of hand with, "Never use it." Really? Then review something you have used and don't waste my time. All this to say, thanks for the hook thread! Great write-up and replies!
"There always seems to be a way to fix things." - MacGyver

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #28 on: March 17, 2017, 01:47:21 AM
Congrats, badge awarded.   :cheers:

Danke Schön!

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #29 on: March 17, 2017, 01:50:09 AM
Why ANY tool should be dismissed or bagged on is beyond me. Especially with SAKs. When there are so many tool combinations available, there is no reason to not get the one that has the tools out want and not one's you don't. You don't need a particular tool?; Get a different model. Don't generalize from the specific, and assume that because YOU have no use for something, no one else does either. I hate "reviews" where half of the tools are dismissed out of hand with, "Never use it." Really? Then review something you have used and don't waste my time. All this to say, thanks for the hook thread! Great write-up and replies!

Good point!  I've noticed the "don't know/don't care/don't use" thing in a lot of videos.  I've been considering making a video or 9... 
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 02:00:19 AM by El Corkscrew »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%