Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

PST Warranty—replace or repair?

mtn · 7 · 1964

Offline mtn

PST Warranty—replace or repair?
on: March 22, 2017, 09:00:14 PM

Just bought a PST from a friend of mine, and it needs some work. I’m wondering if it would be repaired or replaced, and if replaced, what with?
-The tools are pretty rusty, but nothing too far gone. I’m even considering going after the rust myself before sending it in
-The tip of the knife is broken off (1mm or so)
-The tool looks very worn

Think it can be repaired? No sentimental value to it, but I feel that the new stuff isn’t on the same quality level as the old stuff, and was wondering what the replacement would be—I’d feel personally if it was a Rebar, or possibly a Blast (which I know is discontinued, but I feel like it may still show up in a warranty replacement) I’d be ok, but if it was a Rev/Wingman/Sidekick I’d be pissed.

Any recent warranty experiences with a PST?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: PST Warranty—replace or repair?
Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 11:50:31 PM
If you think you can tackle it then I say go for it.  If I'm not mistaken you'll get a Wingman or Sidekick back. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 12:04:50 AM
They will send you a Rebar.

Did you have LM warranty claim in mind when buying that? If the only damage is 1mm of the knife tip, they may touch up real quick for you.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 12:28:55 AM
They will send you a Rebar.

Did you have LM warranty claim in mind when buying that? If the only damage is 1mm of the knife tip, they may touch up real quick for you.

I'm certainly not doubting you but a Rebar for a PST?  That would be a fair replacement I just thought wingman would be cheaper for LM.

1mm tip would easily be round spine down or grind cutting edge up.

Rust issues can be handled in many ways.  I don't have links for you but there are several people including myself that have had great success with long soaks. 

I've used off the shelf rust remover with great success.  If you can take the tool apart sanding and polishing would be a great way to deal with rust. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 01:24:27 AM
They replaced my PST II with a broken file with a Rebar. Makes sense though. The PST, Blast, Pulse, and Rebar are pretty much in the same class.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 01:25:57 AM by chrono »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 01:34:01 AM
They replaced my PST II with a broken file with a Rebar. Makes sense though. The PST, Blast, Pulse, and Rebar are pretty much in the same class.

That's very true :cheers:

But if you are expecting a tool upgrade mtn then you shouldn't be to unhappy if you receive a Wingman or Sidekick as that is very fair price wise for what a PST use to cost when they were new way back when :pok:

Offline mtn

Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 02:23:09 AM

That's very true :cheers:

But if you are expecting a tool upgrade mtn then you shouldn't be to unhappy if you receive a Wingman or Sidekick as that is very fair price wise for what a PST use to cost when they were new way back when :pok:

Nope. I've held them in my hand, I'm not concerned with price, I'm concerned with the quality. Sidekick of Wingman wouldn't work for me. Anything from the kick/fuse/blast would be fine (although the former two are already in my arsenal so I'd just sell it). Rebar is fine too.

To answer an earlier question, I bought it because it was a good deal. I figured I'd either trade it in/get it repaired and have another in my arsenal. I just don't want to send it in to get repaired to get a sidekick as a replacement.

I'll send it in without clicking sentimental--good chance it's repaired or replaced with a rebar; if it's a sidekick I'll survive.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%