Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New workstation lamp idea, need your thoughts!

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
New workstation lamp idea, need your thoughts!
on: April 01, 2017, 07:01:03 PM
Ok, for whoever has a little hobby shop or workstation that needs light for detail!

I found this a while back but didn't really get into it until now because after doing one of my models at the table with poor lighting and squinting it had me looking for a lamp. So, yesterday I found this again and now really want one! It's a diy arch lamp, you take something that can make a arch and run the led strip lighting on the inside, the nice thing is no matter what there's no shadows, cause well, the leds are pointing from every angle! And price wise you can get one of the led kits for like $15, you just have to figure out what to use for the arch? I read most people use a strip of aluminum and just bend it, then clamp or screw it to the bench, but I'd like to be able to move it easy so idk what to use and I can't just run down the street and get whatever, so I try to come up with the best situation before doing so. So I'm asking you guys for ideas as to what to use? I did the math a fig that it would have to be between 5-6', one of the ideas I thought of is that floor striping, when you have two diff flooring you place a strip to join the two? The unique part is it's ^ so the light would aim in two diff directions to give a little more area? I'm thinking and just can't think of what it was, but there was something like a railroad tracks kit that did the same but rather then turn did like a loop? The more pieces the longer the like ski jump, I just can't put my finger on it :think:
So guys any ideas or thoughts on this?
JR
IMG_6526.PNG
* IMG_6526.PNG (Filesize: 261.71 KB)
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Re: New workstation lamp idea, need your thoughts!
Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 07:33:11 PM
Nice Idea, with the right plastic you should be able to have it bend and then spring back to straight again for easier storage.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 07:55:44 PM
Right, with aluminum once you form it that's it, I thought maybe a vertical blind? It needs to be flexible but also needs enough strength to keep the arch and hold a little weight..
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 09:35:33 PM
Do you have 'mini trunking' over there JR?
Use the lid from a length?

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=mini+trunking&FORM=AWIR
Everything’s adjustable

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 09:40:57 PM
Do you have 'mini trunking' over there JR?
Use the lid from a length?

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=mini+trunking&FORM=AWIR
That's a thought if I can find them..
JR

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #5 on: April 01, 2017, 11:58:57 PM
Interesting idea,  wish I had a workstation to make one for!
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #6 on: April 02, 2017, 01:51:52 AM
It looks pretty cool. I bet that could come in handy for taking pictures too.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: April 02, 2017, 07:48:51 AM
It looks pretty cool. I bet that could come in handy for taking pictures too.

Def
I bet!

I took one of my vertical blinds down to see if they would work and notta, just not enough strength to make an arch, unless maybe if folded in half? But I wasn't about to ruin something, so just have to keep thinking..
JR

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: April 02, 2017, 01:32:54 PM
What about a length of PVC pipe?  You could get an 8 foot length for under $10 and carefully bend it with hot water or a heat gun/hair dryer.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: April 02, 2017, 06:24:31 PM
What about a length of PVC pipe?  You could get an 8 foot length for under $10 and carefully bend it with hot water or a heat gun/hair dryer.

Def
That was one of my first thoughts, only thing is I would have to flatten the whole arch while also bending it in order to get two light strips to fit and shine down. But yeah cheap, one 10', two tee's one for each end and four caps, well under $5!

The other two I found were these, ones the table arch, but that's like 11', if I could get it to size great, the end clamps would work great on my table, but not on my workstation they wouldn't work. The other thing is I don't think the strips would work to good on the arch.

Then the garden arch, well, I would only need one part, and well they can get a little pricy!
JR
IMG_6528.JPG
* IMG_6528.JPG (Filesize: 16.58 KB)
IMG_6529.JPG
* IMG_6529.JPG (Filesize: 61.6 KB)

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: April 02, 2017, 06:51:49 PM
I'd use the cover of a plastic cable... what's the word...
Uhm...
:facepalm:
The cover of this

Keep in mind though, that it'll jump back to nearly original form when released after bending, meaning: if you bend it and paste it in, after detaching it to relocate and straightening it, will slightly decrease the adhesing surface, causing the LED strip to frumble.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: April 02, 2017, 06:55:12 PM
Go to Home Depot and look at PVC mouldings in the trim dept. Comes in different thicknesses and is pretty flexible.

Something like this

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Royal-Mouldings-6510-1-4-in-x-1-3-4-in-x-8-ft-PVC-Composite-White-Lattice-Moulding-0651008005/202089995

I used this stuff once to make an arch over a double gate for vines to grow on.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: April 02, 2017, 08:04:50 PM
Uhm...
The cover of this
(Image removed from quote.)

Keep in mind though, that it'll jump back to nearly original form when released after bending, meaning: if you bend it and paste it in, after detaching it to relocate and straightening it, will slightly decrease the adhesing surface, causing the LED strip to frumble.
I thought of that, over time it would just start to come apart, yet if it's formed it shouldn't,
JR

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: April 02, 2017, 08:07:42 PM
Go to Home Depot and look at PVC mouldings in the trim dept. Comes in different thicknesses and is pretty flexible.

Something like this

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Royal-Mouldings-6510-1-4-in-x-1-3-4-in-x-8-ft-PVC-Composite-White-Lattice-Moulding-0651008005/202089995

I used this stuff once to make an arch over a double gate for vines to grow on.
All that looks like is a squar 10, lol..
JR

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: April 02, 2017, 09:28:00 PM
Uhm...
The cover of this

I thought of that, over time it would just start to come apart, yet if it's formed it shouldn't,
JR
Heating it with a hot air blower while bending it might keep it in shape...

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: April 02, 2017, 10:33:20 PM
Uhm...
The cover of this

JR
Heating it with a hot air blower while bending it might keep it in shape...
Should, I sooo wish I still had access to a sheet metal roller, I could adjust the three rollers, put the piece of metal in and just roll, make a few adjustments then do again until the arch is perfect. Could even do the same for plastic would take much longer since I'd have to heat whatever before it went through the rollers inch by inch and that would take long since the piece would be like 60"..
JR

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #16 on: April 02, 2017, 11:33:10 PM
:think: :nothingtoadd:
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: April 03, 2017, 01:34:02 AM
If you have access to a table saw you could cut the PVC in half and tuck the LED light strip inside after you bend it.  You could probably also increase the output by lining the inside with tin foil to add reflectivity- just make sure the strip is insulated from the tin foil.

Then you could also consider painting the PVC to make it look pretty. 

Def

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: April 03, 2017, 01:58:48 AM
If you have access to a table saw you could cut the PVC in half and tuck the LED light strip inside after you bend it.  You could probably also increase the output by lining the inside with tin foil to add reflectivity- just make sure the strip is insulated from the tin foil.

Then you could also consider painting the PVC to make it look pretty. 

Def
Interesting idea,
Cut a 6' piece directly in half, and run two strips side by side inside the pvc, or run two half pvc pipes side by side with one strip in each? Then on each end put a tee and few inches each way then cap..
JR

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: April 03, 2017, 01:16:05 PM
I had thought about a 1" pipe with one strip in the middle, but yeah, a wider diameter pipe with multiple strips would probably work even better.

That would be pretty cool indeed!

So when do you start production of these lamps?  :D

And do I get an inspirational discount?   :pok:

Def

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: April 03, 2017, 06:28:30 PM
I had thought about a 1" pipe with one strip in the middle, but yeah, a wider diameter pipe with multiple strips would probably work even better.

That would be pretty cool indeed!

So when do you start production of these lamps?  :D

And do I get an inspirational discount?   :pok:

Def
Acutely I was thinking 1" myself, cause the size is measured inside width and those strips are only like 1/2-3/4", so since they would be like /\ should be plenty of room.
Now, if I took a 6' piece and flattened the middle 5' along with bending it, I think it might be too wide and maybe 3/4" be better, cause again it's inside diameter, so outside is like 1" then flattening would make it like 1-1/2? Just a lot of work with a hairdryer and little room!
But yeah, if I start production you get a discount, just shippings going to be at least $20 being a 3'x3'x1' box! Especially shipping to Canada, lol. Now the fun part, getting to the store and ordering the lights..
JR

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: April 03, 2017, 07:01:30 PM
Got any old race track.  You know the match box cars track? 
Esse Quam Videri

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #22 on: April 03, 2017, 08:40:59 PM
conduit cover as mentioned might work, but would have trouble holding the shape without being fixed by some means, my thought would be to either screw it to the edges of the desk on both sides or have some sort of work top as the base, screws on each side and it should self curve allowing you to stick LED strips to the archway.
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: April 12, 2017, 01:47:34 AM
Ok, I had another brain fart, the wife ordered the strip light and it should be here in a few days, and well I picked something up while out today and I gotta see if my brain fart will work? First I gotta see if I have a specific tool, if not this is going to take some time!
JR

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #24 on: April 12, 2017, 01:54:24 AM
For those of you who are scratching your heads, I'll give you the name of the tool, a hand seamer, now rap your heads around that!
JR

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #25 on: April 12, 2017, 03:33:05 AM
Well, it worked! Not the best but I see a future,,
I did my math, it's going on a 36" and well that's what I came up with for what length I should need, so I just rounded out to 60" to give a little. And well, this is what I came up with, looks doable?
  My only thing is the led strips I don't think will fit on only one so I'll have to do a 2nd, which came in the kit, but then if I want to switch from workstation to table, one is -- the other | so I guess I got to come up with a way to mount it both ways, or leave one end like it is and bend the other to continue with the arch, and I could just use a clamp?
  But hey, only $5!
JR
IMG_6617.PNG
* IMG_6617.PNG (Filesize: 15.58 KB)
IMG_6624.PNG
* IMG_6624.PNG (Filesize: 218.19 KB)

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #26 on: April 12, 2017, 03:36:46 AM
Oh yeah, no hand tool, but I didn't flatten it before bending it, which I did by rolling it around a piece of playground equipment, :whistle:
Anyone figure out what it is that I made it out of?
JR

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: April 12, 2017, 06:17:55 AM

Some sort of curtain rail?  :think:
Whatever it is it's looking good JR  :tu:
Everything’s adjustable

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #28 on: April 12, 2017, 06:43:07 AM

Some sort of curtain rail?  :think:
Whatever it is it's looking good JR  :tu:
Very good, a two for $5 curtain rail. Just have to wait till I get the leds before I can really go any further.. :( but thanks..
JR

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #29 on: April 13, 2017, 06:25:57 PM
Strip lights came in! So I got a few things to do before I can get started on finishing that setup. Hopefully done by tonight?
JR
IMG_6632.PNG
* IMG_6632.PNG (Filesize: 251.21 KB)
IMG_6631.PNG
* IMG_6631.PNG (Filesize: 243.83 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%