Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Chinese (!) knives

us Offline ColoSwiss

• Absolutely No Life Club
Chinese (!) knives
on: April 19, 2017, 05:01:47 AM
Generally I try and avoid Chinese-made knives, particularly SAK knock-offs. However I have picked up a few, inadvertently or otherwise. The ones I have appear to be well made, but I haven't worked with any of them.

Boker+ Tech Tool
Rough Rider Mini Trapper w/imitation tortoiseshell handles
Buck Trio Stockman w/tan bone handles

So let's see yours, proudly or shamefully.    :D

IMG_8488.JPG
* IMG_8488.JPG (Filesize: 31.15 KB)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 05:03:02 AM by ColoSwiss »

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: Chinese (!) knives
Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 01:56:50 PM
Generally I try and avoid Chinese-made knives, particularly SAK knock-offs. However I have picked up a few, inadvertently or otherwise. The ones I have appear to be well made, but I haven't worked with any of them.

Boker+ Tech Tool
Rough Rider Mini Trapper w/imitation tortoiseshell handles
Buck Trio Stockman w/tan bone handles

So let's see yours, proudly or shamefully.    :D
I personally believe that Boker+ is proof that the Chinese can make great knives. But they can't do it for 1.99$. Recently got a Titan FR (VG-10 blade), great knife, beautifully made and a good bargain at less than 100$ (in a store in Switzerland).

I personally don't believe that country of origin guarantees quality. Swatch watches are pretty famous Swiss watches of mediocre quality (but they are also fairly cheap).
frtitan_03.jpg
* frtitan_03.jpg (Filesize: 78.64 KB)
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 03:00:22 PM
I have a few Rough Riders, Boker + and some other brands that use to be German made that are now made in China. I will have to say that some of the older ones were good but the newer ones are top-notch  :o I carry a few mixed in with my other trads and never even think about it much :like: :like: Will dig a few pics up when at home and not on my phone :tu:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 03:58:42 PM
Sanrenmu 710  is a great knife and dirt cheap

hk Offline aurabattler

Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 08:19:41 AM
Made in China doesn't imply awful quality but cheap made in China usually does.  Like everywhere in the world, China can't produce innovative quality product with low cost like $5. For a product at this price, I would expect it is low quality and/or a knocked off of something else. There are some very well made and designed knives made in China but they are not under our understood made in China prize tag. Like this Kizer I just bought, it's $170 and made from a Chinese brand in China, but definitely worth every penny. They provide superb customer services as well. Yes, it they uses US materials but the fit and finish is brilliant. Some brands like Kershaw have a lot of knives made in China and they are also excellent.

我從使用 Tapatalk 的 E6683 發送

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 09:59:45 AM
I know......

:worthless:

I was gifted a ULTRATEC BLACK HONEY BADGER FLIPPER LARGE........with my name engraved on the blade, early birthday present!

No idea who the manufacturer is, but here's a link to the local distributors's page.......surprised to see it has bearings! http://www.liteoptec.co.za/showprod.asp?cat=FLip1&product=HB1001

It's a bit larger than I like to EDC but it will get some weekend pocket time for sure, great flipper and feels solid, came shaving sharp.

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 04:44:15 PM
It's funny how things seem to run in cycles.Directly after the Great War ended in 1918 products coming out of Germany were considered trash for the most part and even required the stamping of the word,"foreign" on them if they were to be exported to England(and possibly other countries as well) .Some of the cutlery was indeed of sub par quality but as time moved on the Germans improved the quality to the extent that it became some of the finest in the world.
Enter the Second Great War also known as World War Two. After it was over the Japanese products were considered the bottom of the barrel so to speak and shunned. They too worked on the quality of their cutlery and became the top shelf cutlery that they have enjoyed for many years now.
And so it goes with China.From a time when their cutlery items were good for mostly scrap metal they have progressed to a point where they rival any of the top manufacturers for quality and at a greatly reduced price.
Sure there is sub par material coming from them but there is also the same coming from many other countries as well.
There was a time in the USA when cheaply made knives such as the shell handled models from Colonial and Imperial and several others were looked down on as not worthy of even carrying.Now there are people who avidly collect them;realizing that while they were not the best looking of knives they were made of quality materials that were meant to perform a job very well and that they did. I think a lot of people are coming to the same conclusion about inexpensive Chinese made knives.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 05:28:51 PM
My dad has a store in which he sells gardening tools and machines (apart from his garage where he repairs and mantains cars from any brand).
For the past 5 years he's selling Chinese lawnmowers. Not the ones you throw away when something breaks, but machines that are repairable with official spare parts.
Their top models rival larger, well known brands, for just over half the price.

Conclusion is what my dad had to say about this.
"Not everything made in China can be bad. Everything is made in China these days and you're not fooling me in telling that they have to import quality stuff in order to have it, while they've got the production possibilities themselves.
They HAVE to build quality, even if it's just for theirselves.

As another example.
Watches:
The Swiss rule at this, while the Chinese build "cheap throwaway junk"
Take a look on google for the brand "seagull" and see for yourself that they're catching up on multiple expertises.

ph Offline Semajmarx007

• Deus Ex Machina
Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 08:22:50 AM
I recently acquired a Buck Trio Stockman 373 and have been EDCing it for two weeks now.  :whistle:

It took me months before taking the plunge and buying a China-made knife. I was under the impression that knives sourced in China aren't worth the money and I would be better off saving it for something more substantial. But I wanted a small stockman that I can use without thinking much about scratching or ruining the knife.

Sure there are things that I would love to improve on its fit and finish like smoothing the tangs and the inside parts much like what you have in SAKs. But the thing is, i'm perfectly happy carrying it. I got it cheap. Two of the blades were razor sharp. The spey blade a bit blunt but nothing a good sharpening and stropping wouldn't fix. ::)

Now, knock-offs are another thing. :rant: I will never buy them.
buck trio stockman.JPG
* buck trio stockman.JPG (Filesize: 37.57 KB)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 08:26:02 AM by Semajmarx007 »
vi veri veniversum vivus vici

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 10:17:25 AM
I've had very positive and negative experiences with Chinese products and gear.
After all these years I've learned you have to look well, find those Chinese brnads that don't just get  a stamp from a foreign company or a re-branding, look for the ones that proudly put their own name in their products.
Instead of buying MTech, BUDK, United Cutlery and US Branded, Chinese knives (or Knockoffs and counterfeits), try out some ENLAN, SRM, Ganzo or OMUDA's folders, you'll get real value folders at the same price

buy a SAK knockoff that won't keep or take an edge and scissors won't even cut paper, or a no-name gas station multitool copy that will bend under minimal use, and you've just wasted $10. Now, get a EGO tool or a JAKEMY Multi and get a real, usable thing to trust and enjoy for very little money.

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Offline duky

Reply #10 on: April 21, 2017, 11:00:30 AM
Some of my ganzo knifes
And 10$ fake Swiss champ

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: April 26, 2017, 07:51:17 PM
I have a few Rough Riders, Boker + and some other brands that use to be German made that are now made in China. I will have to say that some of the older ones were good but the newer ones are top-notch  :o I carry a few mixed in with my other trads and never even think about it much :like: :like: Will dig a few pics up when at home and not on my phone :tu:

And I never did :facepalm:

ca Offline jcs0001

Reply #12 on: April 28, 2017, 03:53:12 PM
I am also impressed with the quality of knives such as enlan, sanrenmu and ganzo - have avoided any of the sak knock off's so can't comment on their quality.

I have noticed that some of the Chinese makers/vendors are now collaborating with customers and the like from the west to further improve their products.  One example is with Convoy flashlights - there is a very lengthy thread on the budget light forum about this.

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/45510

I suspect this is the future for successful Chinese products - make them at a reasonable price, give good customer service and look for feedback from customers to improve the product.

John.

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #13 on: April 30, 2017, 03:46:03 AM
Went on break at work today to snag this lot off ebay;

(Seller's photo)

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #14 on: April 30, 2017, 06:11:14 AM
I have quite a few Kershaws that are Chinese made: RJ2,Volt, clash, cryo and a few others, all are very good quality knives. they are a notch below the USA counterparts Kershaw sells, but I am very happy with them. I have not tried any of the dirt cheap chinese Kershaws, they are heavier and I think lesser grade steel that dont really appeal to me.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: April 30, 2017, 08:26:32 AM
Went on break at work today to snag this lot off ebay;

(Seller's photo)

(Image removed from quote.)

Nice little lot there I'd say. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Offline duky

Reply #16 on: March 12, 2018, 10:13:53 PM
My new :)

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #17 on: March 13, 2018, 11:04:39 AM
My new :)(Image removed from quote.)
That's very nice duky  :salute: How does it compare with a SAK?

I assume this Fura is Chinese - I like it a lot. Not that practical but great fun.
20180313_090050.jpg
* 20180313_090050.jpg (Filesize: 212.02 KB)
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

Offline duky

Reply #18 on: March 13, 2018, 12:57:25 PM
As I like ganzo knives, this was not good deal.
Little overpriced, it cost 2/3 of spartan price.
Came absolutely not sharp and of course, not victorinox quality :).
But it's nice, for dirty work and for lend it to friends :).

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: March 13, 2018, 01:05:44 PM
Sanrenmu  9104

This is my favorite folder, holds an edge extremely well.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #20 on: March 13, 2018, 01:46:59 PM
As I like ganzo knives, this was not good deal.
Little overpriced, it cost 2/3 of spartan price.
Came absolutely not sharp and of course, not victorinox quality :).
But it's nice, for dirty work and for lend it to friends :).
Thanks. I like the scales. :salute:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: March 13, 2018, 07:38:00 PM
I generally avoid Chinese knives, but there is one company over there that I do like, and that is Rough Rider. I have been very impressed with both their quality, and their prices. Great knives. :tu:
Send In the spartans

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD