Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Meditation

wales Offline caninesapien

Meditation
on: April 20, 2017, 03:01:23 PM
Hi all

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum section - was considering putting it in the Outdoors section. Oh well - change location if required!

Does anyone practice any meditation/mindfulness techniques, especially when out and about (hiking, bivvying, camping etc)? I've had some experience with mindfulness from an issue I faced last year but I'm not 100% on how effective it is. Similarly, I've tried a few meditation techniques but they don't seem to be working so much either.

Just interested to see if anyone practices anything like this, when out alone in the wilderness - specifically something to centre the mind and focus properly.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Meditation
Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 03:27:52 PM
I meditate tho not necessarily when out.  What I've learned is quieting the mind for me is not my goal.  I'll PM you and we'll discuss what techniques I use and some resources.  I can tell you that like anything you have to regularly practice to "master". 
Esse Quam Videri

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 03:32:00 PM
I don't have any real experience with meditation and mindfulness, but when I'm out in the wilderness (or any other nice outside environment), instead of "staying inside my head" I try to focus on what's around me like the nature, the sky, the views etc.
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 03:43:06 PM
I meditate tho not necessarily when out.  What I've learned is quieting the mind for me is not my goal.  I'll PM you and we'll discuss what techniques I use and some resources.  I can tell you that like anything you have to regularly practice to "master".
That would be great, thank you.

I don't have any real experience with meditation and mindfulness, but when I'm out in the wilderness (or any other nice outside environment), instead of "staying inside my head" I try to focus on what's around me like the nature, the sky, the views etc.

This is something I try to do as much as possible but I find that I kind of unconsciously go back to some of the methods I've learned that aren't all that useful to me.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 04:39:37 PM
Feel free to pm me too C-Sap. I do some mediation but it's all to do with earth energy and chakra's so if you are down with that belief system I may be able to help.  :D
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 04:59:19 PM
Feel free to pm me too C-Sap. I do some mediation but it's all to do with earth energy and chakra's so if you are down with that belief system I may be able to help.  :D

I may well do, Mag! I don't know very much about earth energy and chakras, mind!

Basically these days I'm finding it harder and harder to switch off!

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 06:45:22 PM
I meditate on a daily basis. Like Mags,I've some experience with earth energy too. I find being in nature,and traveling the old ways to be an act of...devotion in onto itself. I've found that being in nature brings a peace and clarity all of its own.

As the guys have already said,feel free to pm me too if your interested :tu:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 06:11:45 AM
I've been practicing meditation and mindfulness for years now.  While I'm not very good at consistently practicing, when I do keep on track my life is infinitely more peaceful. 

It's much better when I can sit outside in peace and quiet though that's for sure!

Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 10:16:59 AM
Thanks all for the replies.

My only real experience with Mindfulness comes from speaking to a counsellor this year about dealing with anxiety. I really only ever use Mindfulness techniques when dealing with a panic attack, so it's not something I use regularly (if it's even designed for that?)

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 04:43:07 PM
Thanks all for the replies.

My only real experience with Mindfulness comes from speaking to a counsellor this year about dealing with anxiety. I really only ever use Mindfulness techniques when dealing with a panic attack, so it's not something I use regularly (if it's even designed for that?)

Mindfulness is perfectly suited for dealing with panic attacks; I've used it for that purpose myself.  One of the best meditation techniques around is the mindfulness of breathing technique.  It allows you to focus on one singular thing and let all the other distractions go right on by. 

dk Offline Troels

Reply #10 on: April 21, 2017, 05:38:33 PM
I do regulary outdoor trips usually just overnight, but some times more. I camp relatively primitive with woolblankets, minimal gear and bring simple food supplement with foraging - it feels more in tune with environment. A big part of these trips is sitting alone in front of a fire. Keeping a focus on emptying the head of thoughts and sensing the environment around me. I thinks its awesome. After a few hours its quite clear that happy-hormones are released, giving somekind of a mild kick :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%