Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Best Way to Clean?

us Offline this_is_nascar

Best Way to Clean?
on: May 05, 2017, 03:50:16 PM
I have many Classics and a hand full of others that I purchased quite sometime ago, as TSA confiscations.  I want to quickly and efficiently clean them somehow, without going throw the hassle of removing scales and dealing with each one individually?  Do you think I could get a bucket of warm water with some Dawn dish detergent and put them all in there for a bit, then rinse, dry and lube?

Like I said, I want them cleaned-up well, but don't want to invest a bunch of time and effort.
"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Best Way to Clean?
Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 04:00:45 PM
That's what I typically do and it works well.   I only remove the scales if they're broke and need to be replaced anyway.   I do, however open and close the blades while submerged to clean the gunk out of the pivots.

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 04:01:11 PM
I have many Classics and a hand full of others that I purchased quite sometime ago, as TSA confiscations.  I want to quickly and efficiently clean them somehow, without going throw the hassle of removing scales and dealing with each one individually?  Do you think I could get a bucket of warm water with some Dawn dish detergent and put them all in there for a bit, then rinse, dry and lube?

Like I said, I want them cleaned-up well, but don't want to invest a bunch of time and effort.

That's what I always do!  :tu:
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 04:06:50 PM

That's what I always do!  :tu:
+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline this_is_nascar

Reply #4 on: May 05, 2017, 04:41:37 PM
Thanks everyone.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: May 05, 2017, 04:49:52 PM
A toothbrush is good to remove the last remaining dirt. Add some hand soap if it's very dirty.

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #6 on: May 05, 2017, 05:19:18 PM
Thanks everyone.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Opening and closing tools while soaked helps too...

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #7 on: May 05, 2017, 05:21:22 PM
Though I haven't tried it myself, I read somewhere that ultrasonic cleaners are good too...

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: May 05, 2017, 05:35:32 PM
Open up all tools and use hot water ( water you can still touch ).   
Esse Quam Videri

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #9 on: May 05, 2017, 08:00:44 PM
Not too hot or the cellidor will warp.
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #10 on: May 05, 2017, 08:12:05 PM
+1 on the toothbrush.
+1 on opening/closing repeatedly while submerged.   Gloves are a good idea.  It doesn't take long.  The longer you soak them the less work you have to do.   For the really stiff implements I'll soak them in mineral oil.

I use Dr. Bronner's soap.   It does a great job removing the sticky/gunky and when you wipe the blades it leaves them nice and shiny due to the oils in the soap.

10770140.jpg
* 10770140.jpg (Filesize: 40.36 KB)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 08:18:39 PM by El Corkscrew »
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: May 05, 2017, 08:28:46 PM
Good stuff!

Two of my "used excellent condition"  Explorers were a mess, stiff with no snap.  I was especially busy with personal items and didn't exercise all of the tools in a timely manner so it was late to request a return base on item not as described.  The scales on one was pitted and the other was inscribed so I removed both sets and soaked the sub-par SAK in hot water and dish washing detergent.  I had trouble working the tools since it was too slippery (I would be interested in how others cope without cutting themselves).

After toothbrush and pipe cleaner scrubbing and more soaking, I opened all of the tools except the magnifier and ran both Explorers through a rinse cycle in the dishwasher.  I was worried about possibly melting the magnifier frame but the hot rinse worked really well. The result was not perfect due to the condition of these Explorers so they were not indistinguishable from new but they improved dramatically and are fine for daily use.

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: May 07, 2017, 05:58:22 PM
I've always just wiped my SAKs with a wipe or if I use it around food= soap and water.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD