Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Is the Spirit XBS worth the extra $100+ ?

00 Offline JazzPorcupine

on: May 22, 2017, 04:15:57 AM
From what I can tell it's just a different color? The price different is over $100 on the Victorinox site. I see it as low as $167 on Ebay and $175 on SwissKnifeShop. Is it really worth the price increase? Will it last longer? Or is price increase just because it's black?

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Re: Is the Spirit XBS worth the extra $100+ ?
Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 10:09:49 AM
IMHO, unless you (royal you) are concerned about glare giving away your position during a stealthy operation, or working on rooftops and getting your retinas scorched by sunlight reflecting on the shiny Spirit's body, or just looking for the extra wow factor -black tool, relatively rare- then I say it's definitively not worth the extra cost.

Better get a second Spirit wth the money you save :D ;)
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 10:17:27 AM
Is it worth it? (Looks at collection of knives and multis) probably not, is it cool? Hell yes!  :multi:

Also as far as I can tell it's the only X version of the Spirit they make now, for those adverse to the butter blade.

I'm also going to add that I'm now pretty sure that the Spirit is the closest anyone has come to an off the shelf perfect multi tool.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 10:19:16 AM by Smashie »
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

gr Offline firiki

Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 10:28:00 AM
[...] Also as far as I can tell it's the only X version of the Spirit they make now [...]

I'm pretty miffed they seemd to have disco'ed the Spirit's S version, myself.

Seeing the pics you uploaded, Smashie, I must admit the XBS version looks way better than the BO one  :)

Edit: Just noticed, the XBS only comes with a cap crimper? Personally, I don't need that feature.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 10:29:44 AM by firiki »

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 10:33:38 AM
[...] Also as far as I can tell it's the only X version of the Spirit they make now [...]

I'm pretty miffed they seemd to have disco'ed the Spirit's S version, myself.

Seeing the pics you uploaded, Smashie, I must admit the XBS version looks way better than the BO one  :)

Edit: Just noticed, the XBS only comes with a cap crimper? Personally, I don't need that feature.

Cap crimpers are a pet hate of mine, not needed on 99.9% of tools that are sold and don't do as good a job as the dedicated cap crimpers.
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates

gr Offline firiki

Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 10:37:20 AM
They do help boost tool count, though :D At the expense of pliers.  :-\

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 10:55:54 AM
Thankfully I have an X, and a mint RT as back up, so I don't have any yearnings for this very nice looking version with compromised (in my opinion) pliers  :)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #8 on: May 22, 2017, 11:10:33 AM
I'd say it's not worth so much extra money.

The only reason I have a BO model myself is that this was an army issued model, and that's what I collect. And I bought it in used (but "as new") condition for less than the price of a new-in-box "normal" Spirit  :D
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

00 Offline JazzPorcupine

Reply #9 on: May 22, 2017, 03:00:43 PM
Didn't even realize the pliers on the XBS are smaller. Does the cap crimper make the pliers fragile? I see a few bundle deals on Ebay for the regular Spirit X, new, with a sharpener and MT lubricant (the Victorinox brand) for $109. A lot more with the blade that's serrated for cheaper ($60+)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 03:04:33 PM by JazzPorcupine »

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #10 on: May 22, 2017, 03:24:30 PM
It's worth it if the BO finally gets you to use it!
Some (many) complain about the "it's so shiny to use" but I have no problem with that so, to me, it ain't worth a $ more!

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

gp Offline Nightshade

Reply #11 on: May 22, 2017, 04:07:43 PM
Wow, such exorbitant pricing. Definitely geared toward the mall ninja, tactikewl, edc gear queer , pristine pocket possession post a pic subculture. One could buy 2-3 Spirits for the cost of that. I remember buying Vic BO Spirit S models on clearance for $40 USD or less. I bought several and sold them, several years later on a auction site, with one selling for $212.00. Although grateful for the return on that investment, I still can't wrap my mind around it. I carry a very well used BO Spirit S, but if lost, I'm not paying that premium.
"

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #12 on: May 22, 2017, 04:20:03 PM
Sure looks like normal BO finish to me?  What are they saying it is now?  In their ad it says note the finish can come off on your hands on first use.  That's BO.  DLC wouldnt do that or any other black coating.

Burnishing happens during parts tumbling, maybe they did something different at that stage?  Or changed the burnishing liquid. 

So do I need to buy another one?  I though I only had to collect 6!

Spirit
Spirit X
Spirit S
Spirit RT
BO Spirit X CC
BO Spirit S
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 04:24:26 PM by Syph007 »
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #13 on: May 22, 2017, 04:37:34 PM
I just panic bought another normal spirit x.  I had 2, one is back in pieces, one is staying mint so I wanted one to use.   On amazon canada they are $100 CAD right now.  It told me I bought the same item in 2011 and it was 93 then.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: May 22, 2017, 04:53:25 PM
Worth it huh?  I can only add if the tool appeals to you on any level and your wallet wont cry too much afterwards then sure thing. 

I'd be curious as to the finish as well.  I have a BO Spirit and Swisstool and both are quite slick neither tool left BO on my hands.   The only really chalky BO tools I've ever gotten were Leatherman.  That being said I did get a BO OG Supertool that I still think is some other coating since it chipped.  I wasn't aware of BO chipping however I accept the help I got at that time.

Esse Quam Videri

england Offline Guardian

• Unless
Reply #15 on: May 22, 2017, 07:59:18 PM
I'd say it's not worth so much extra money.

The only reason I have a BO model myself is that this was an army issued model, and that's what I collect. And I bought it in used (but "as new") condition for less than the price of a new-in-box "normal" Spirit  :D

That's what I did as well;  nice Dutch army version found on evil bay. It's sat in its case and I work with the plain versions....
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #16 on: May 22, 2017, 08:27:18 PM
Sure looks like normal BO finish to me?  What are they saying it is now?  In their ad it says note the finish can come off on your hands on first use.  That's BO.  DLC wouldnt do that or any other black coating.

Burnishing happens during parts tumbling, maybe they did something different at that stage?  Or changed the burnishing liquid. 

So do I need to buy another one?  I though I only had to collect 6!

(Image removed from quote.)

Spirit
Spirit X
Spirit S
Spirit RT
BO Spirit X CC
BO Spirit S

Nice collection Syph!  :cheers:

Looks like the XBS is nearly the same as the BO Spirit X CC in configuration, with just the normal year stamping variations and maybe a different blackout method, dunno if it's worth adding if that's the case, given the current price.  :think:

00 Offline JazzPorcupine

Reply #17 on: May 22, 2017, 09:35:54 PM
According to this guy (if what he says is true) the black for the XBS is mixed in with the metal? So getting scuffed and scratched it'll still be black instead of silver.

(Around 4 minutes in)

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #18 on: May 23, 2017, 04:35:02 PM
According to this guy (if what he says is true) the black for the XBS is mixed in with the metal? So getting scuffed and scratched it'll still be black instead of silver.

(Around 4 minutes in)

Highly unlikely but we'll have to see. 

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: May 23, 2017, 04:43:23 PM

(Around 4 minutes in)

Would amaze me too...

My reasoning tells me it would interfere with the density/hardness of the metal.

If it is true however, and they found a workaround, then I'm mindblown and I'll be able to understand the pricing.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #20 on: May 23, 2017, 06:02:47 PM
As prices are high in the UK the standard Spirit X is £130 the XBS £165 so not $100 more like $29.70

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #21 on: May 23, 2017, 06:38:04 PM

(Around 4 minutes in)

Would amaze me too...

My reasoning tells me it would interfere with the density/hardness of the metal.

If it is true however, and they found a workaround, then I'm mindblown and I'll be able to understand the pricing.

Ya I bet it's just the store salesman making that part up.  Lots of knife makers would like black metal and other than dlc and BO I've not heard of any other options.

us Offline twiliter

Reply #22 on: May 23, 2017, 06:43:37 PM

(Around 4 minutes in)

Would amaze me too...

Ya I bet it's just the store salesman making that part up.  Lots of knife makers would like black metal and other than dlc and BO I've not heard of any other options.

I read somewhere the Spirit RT handles are PVD coated, not sure about the reliability of the source.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #23 on: May 23, 2017, 06:46:39 PM

(Around 4 minutes in)

Would amaze me too...

I read somewhere the Spirit RT handles are PVD coated, not sure about the reliability of the source.

Yes PVD is the process.  Dlc is what is deposited.  Not sure what the specific coating on the RT was though but there are lots of options ands it's not a very dark color either.

us Offline twiliter

Reply #24 on: May 23, 2017, 06:49:59 PM

(Around 4 minutes in)

Would amaze me too...

Yes PVD is the process.  Dlc is what is deposited.  Not sure what the specific coating on the RT was though but there are lots of options ands it's not a very dark color either.

Well if it leaves a residue, I'm thinking it's like the other black oxide ST's and Leathermans that I've handled.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #25 on: May 23, 2017, 06:54:21 PM

(Around 4 minutes in)

Would amaze me too...

Well if it leaves a residue, I'm thinking it's like the other black oxide ST's and Leathermans that I've handled.

Ya exactly.  Now doing BO on stainless steels is alot trickier so maybe they developed a better process, but its still going to be making magnetite Fe3O4 as that's what is black.  Some of the BO'd spririts in the past were streaky/splotchy though so maybe the new process is more uniform.

us Offline twiliter

Reply #26 on: May 23, 2017, 07:02:03 PM

(Around 4 minutes in)

Would amaze me too...

Ya exactly.  Now doing BO on stainless steels is alot trickier so maybe they developed a better process, but its still going to be making magnetite Fe3O4 as that's what is black.  Some of the BO'd spririts in the past were streaky/splotchy though so maybe the new process is more uniform.

The Spirit I had needed some scrubbing to get the stuff off, and it was a little splotchy, along with the Surge I had, same story, but the BO Charge was pretty clean, although I think the handles were not black oxide at all, maybe some kind of paint process, not sure.

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: June 26, 2017, 03:55:17 PM
Going to revive this topic with this confusing picture. A stainless picture with black oxide in the title. Do I risk it?

gb Offline zr0dfx

Reply #28 on: June 26, 2017, 04:36:44 PM
Going to revive this topic with this confusing picture. A stainless picture with black oxide in the title. Do I risk it?

I would :) you can always return it if it's wrong  :salute:

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #29 on: June 26, 2017, 06:39:13 PM

I would :) you can always return it if it's wrong  :salute:

Agreed. If it is on Amazon and fulfilled by them you should have no problem returning it if it is not black oxide.
I'm the milk man!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD