Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Anyone use or know about canes?

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Re: Anyone use or know about canes?
Reply #30 on: May 27, 2017, 06:21:42 AM
I'm going to guess, but is that a sumac root one behind the silver one and under the t handle one? I think the root ones are pretty cool. My grandfather had a nice little collection, he didn't need any when he first started collecting, but he ended up using them.
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: May 27, 2017, 07:03:21 AM
How do folks use their canes? A pharmacy mate of mine who deals with medical sticks and crutches says that you use the cane on the opposite side, so if you have a bung knee on the right, you use the cane on the left.
I think it's because it gives the most stability and more normal walking posture, rather than placing more pressure on the shoulder

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #32 on: May 27, 2017, 11:43:15 AM
How do folks use their canes? A pharmacy mate of mine who deals with medical sticks and crutches says that you use the cane on the opposite side, so if you have a bung knee on the right, you use the cane on the left.
I think it's because it gives the most stability and more normal walking posture, rather than placing more pressure on the shoulder

My issue is down the middle (spinal), so I don't need to favour one side or the other, but I still prefer the right hand. I will occasionally switch to left handed use, but always keep the stick in pace with the opposing leg (right hand and left foot, or left hand and right foot).

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #33 on: May 27, 2017, 11:45:39 AM
Well I grew a set and did it, I bought one! It's not the one I wanted, well it is but just not the color, but heck it was half the price so why not? So I gotta do a little work and customize it, but it's here!
JR

Nice one, mate  :tu: Let us know how you get on with it  :cheers:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #34 on: May 27, 2017, 11:58:32 AM
Yes, I believe it is.

Great. Well at least you can see if that cane will work for you. When you need one, I can assure you of a few more purchases down the road. Your first cane won't be your last.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #35 on: May 27, 2017, 06:37:37 PM
Well I grew a set and did it, I bought one! It's not the one I wanted, well it is but just not the color, but heck it was half the price so why not? So I gotta do a little work and customize it, but it's here!
JR

Nice one, mate  :tu: Let us know how you get on with it  :cheers:

+1  :tu:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #36 on: May 27, 2017, 06:55:38 PM
Yes, I believe it is.

Great. Well at least you can see if that cane will work for you. When you need one, I can assure you of a few more purchases down the road. Your first cane won't be your last.
That I see! I still really want a cactus stick!
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #37 on: May 27, 2017, 06:56:46 PM
The wife wants to go for a walk to the library because it's beautiful out, but I haven't customized it yet, so idk if I'm taking it yet..
JR

england Offline Kev D

Reply #38 on: May 27, 2017, 06:57:26 PM
Yes, I believe it is.

JR

What's a cactus stick?

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #39 on: May 27, 2017, 07:00:08 PM
Yes, I believe it is.

JR

What's a cactus stick?
Lol, a cactus has a wood skeleton, and when it dies leaves it behind, the wood is thick and looks soo heavy, yet after it dries out weighs next to nothing!
JR

england Offline Kev D

Reply #40 on: May 27, 2017, 07:12:47 PM
Yes, I believe it is.

JR

What's a cactus stick?
Lol, a cactus has a wood skeleton, and when it dies leaves it behind, the wood is thick and looks soo heavy, yet after it dries out weighs next to nothing!
JR

I didn't know that about cactus.  Ya learn something new everyday. Thanks  :cheers:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #41 on: May 27, 2017, 10:17:41 PM
The wife wants to go for a walk to the library because it's beautiful out, but I haven't customized it yet, so idk if I'm taking it yet..
JR

It's orthopaedic not cosmetic  Get it used! :pok:

:D

england Offline Kev D

Reply #42 on: May 27, 2017, 10:24:20 PM
JR

+1

No time like the present to start to get used to it

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #43 on: May 27, 2017, 10:31:05 PM
Here's a little info on your learning,
The large one is called a Saguaro(one of my fav) they are so full of water when alive that about every foot is about 100lbs, and they get BIG! I've see pics of them falling down and crushing cars..
That other is called a Cholla, a unique one but here's a a pic on how they turn out and then how they can be made into canes..
JR
IMG_7298.PNG
* IMG_7298.PNG (Filesize: 327.66 KB)

* IMG_7295.JPG (Filesize: 39.57 KB)
IMG_7299.JPG
* IMG_7299.JPG (Filesize: 112.22 KB)

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #44 on: May 27, 2017, 10:37:49 PM
JR

Yeah yeah, I didn't get the height set before we took off and went for our walk, we went to the park and they had everything set up for Memorial Day, I took A LOT of pics so they'll be up on a diff subject.

But hey I did get one! One step at a time! Besides I gotta make it cool, and maybe put a MTO sticker on, gotta fig it out..
JR

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #45 on: May 29, 2017, 05:07:02 AM
Ok, now this feels more like me! :tu:

I threw out that hideous wrist strap and replaced it with a long cobra, black/gray to match the handle, then used a spiral hitch to wrap a D-ring with black cord that has a blue spiral, in which matches the cane.. could use some other tweaks but I think in do time!
JR
IMG_7324.PNG
* IMG_7324.PNG (Filesize: 99.59 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%