Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Small rescue knife???

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Small rescue knife???
on: June 05, 2017, 11:27:11 AM
I am looking for a small rescue knife (LOCKING BLADE, belt cutter, glass breaker) as small as possible.

Not so big like Benchmade Triage or Victorinox Rescue Tool, if possible smaller than the Boker Magnum Rescue Compact.
My ideal would be the size of a Spyderco Ladybug
LOCKING BLADE (Not Boker Citytool)

Any thoughts?
Thank in advance

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Re: Small rescue knife???
Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 12:17:20 PM
The man bug salt has caught my attention  except for the glass cutter might fit your requirements ? Perhaps coupled with a resqme?
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 01:12:42 PM
The ResQMe fits the bill perfectly, except that it isn't a knife.  The strap cutter and glass breaker both work well.

You could couple it with the rescue version of Chad Los Banos' Boker knife, the RESCOM:

http://multitool.org/knives/boker-rescom

If you find that too big, there's always the Blackhawk Hawkhook Rescue Tool which is smaller and lighter than the RESCOM and you wouldn't need the ResQMe, but, as the Hawkhook is so light, I am not convinced that the little pokey bit on the leading edge of the "blade" would really do much to break glass.

Lastly, the Small rescue knife from Utica Cutlery might fid the bill.  As I recall, it is slightly bigger than the RESCOM, but more knife-ey and has all of the functions you need/want in one tool.

I would strongly recommend avoiding the Smith & Wesson 911 Tool:

The specs on it (like all Taylor made crap) seems decent, like when they try to sell you on the 1/4" pin to add strength so you can pry with it, but the reality is the shoddy nylon  handle will keep that 1/4" pin from being any use to you.  The glass breaker is fiddly and not something you want to depend on when your fine motor skills are gone during an adrenaline dump and the blade steel is only slightly harder than dried monkey poops which renders the serrations useless.... that is if they ever had an edge in the first place.  I couldn't even cut bread with that crappy knife.   :facepalm:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 02:43:36 PM
Thank you guys for your input! :tu:

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 06:23:05 PM
Alex, did you decide on anything yet ?
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 01:54:29 AM
I'm going to throw another suggestion out there, and it doesn't quite fit all your needs, but it comes pretty close:  the Leatherman Z-Rex has dual belt cutters (which are also the blades) and a glass breaker.  It might be larger than what you're wanting, though.

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 02:28:27 AM

The specs on it (like all Taylor made crap) seems decent, like when they try to sell you on the 1/4" pin to add strength so you can pry with it, but the reality is the shoddy nylon  handle will keep that 1/4" pin from being any use to you.  The glass breaker is fiddly and not something you want to depend on when your fine motor skills are gone during an adrenaline dump and the blade steel is only slightly harder than dried monkey poops which renders the serrations useless.... that is if they ever had an edge in the first place.  I couldn't even cut bread with that crappy knife.   :facepalm:

Def
[/quote]
 :like: :like:
One of the many things I find so refreshing with MTo.org - even the big cheese tells it just like he sees it.  Such truth and honesty is refreshing in a world full of "oh my you can't say that, it might offend some one".   Some time offense is needed to get things done right not half 'ssed. 
Thanks Grant for the truth!  :cheers:
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

MTo...The BEST place on Earth!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 02:46:40 AM
Yep ever since I can remember MTO has been very straightforward and truthful about any and everything on here :tu: :like:

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: July 04, 2017, 12:22:46 AM
I'm going to throw another suggestion out there, and it doesn't quite fit all your needs, but it comes pretty close:  the Leatherman Z-Rex has dual belt cutters (which are also the blades) and a glass breaker.  It might be larger than what you're wanting, though.

No, please, no...!  :facepalm:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #9 on: July 04, 2017, 01:21:35 AM

(Image removed from quote.)

Def
:like: :like:
One of the many things I find so refreshing with MTo.org - even the big cheese tells it just like he sees it.  Such truth and honesty is refreshing in a world full of "oh my you can't say that, it might offend some one".   Some time offense is needed to get things done right not half 'ssed. 
Thanks Grant for the truth!  :cheers:

No worries- it's what I do.  But even if I was a BS artist, even with the help of Willy Wonka and an army of Oompa Loompas I couldn't sugar coat the truth about what complete and utter pieces of crap Taylor products are.

You haven't been around long enough to know this, but the Reader's Digest version is that when Taylor bought Schrade they started manufacturing the Schrade designs in China, using the least effective materials and cheapest labor they could find.  One member here (I believe J-Sews) got one that was so bad, the blade was too long to fit in the handle and they bent the tip of the knife to fit in.

No word of a lie on that.  But hey, any company can make a lemon, right?

Smith & Wesson knives are manufactured by Taylor as well, and a friend of mine who was a big fan of SWAT stuff bought an S&W SWAT knife.  The knife was so badly made that the liner lock would forget to lock the blade and swing all the way to the opposite side of the tang and slot itself in with the spacer, allowing the blade to close roughly halfway (or 90 degrees) during use.

But hey, that's one S&W and one Schrade.... could be a coincidence, right?

On Knifeforums years ago (when I was a moderator there) someone was all excited about the new S&W knife he'd ordered based on the specs/looks.  I suggested that he should have asked for opinions before buying the knife, rather than after, as their quality wasn't so great, and I sincerely hoped I was wrong.  When he finally got it he was excited and happy and I was too, because I would rather be wrong and he gets a good knife, versus a poor, unsuspecting guy getting a crap knife.

Good story, right?

A week or so later he posted that the whole thing was starting to fail and fall apart.  Here's an old discussion and link to the original thread here:

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=24942.0

Okay, so everyone has an opinion on the internet, and we all know what opinions are like, right?

While J-Sews and I were at SHOT a few years ago we went to the Taylor booth to see the Tough Tool that had recently been announced as the new Australian Army Issue tool- which was nothing more than the old, shoddy Tough Tool with a black coating and yellow letters telling the world that the Australian Army doesn't actually need tools that work.  Bob picked up the Australian Issue tool and crushed it with his bare hand.   :ahhh

Well, not quite, but close.  He squeezed the handles and they bent inward.  We actually had two Tough Tools there and we took comparison pictures to show how one was permanently deformed before quickly leaving- not that I consider anything at their booth to be an even remote threat.

Right, so they may be cheapo crap, but people still buy them, right?

Taylor's catalogues for the Schrade and S&W lines are full of inspiring imagery, like silhouettes of solders, stars, stripes, American flags and eagles, while using terms like "Proudly American Owned" which leads one to believe that they are quality tools made in the USA, when in fact the entire line is made in China- or worse.  This, to me at least constitutes false advertising and personally I believe they should be charged with fraud.  However, I also believe they need to be brought up on charges of negligence (at least) for everyone who gets hurt as a result of one of their smurfty products failing, and manslaughter (at least) whenever a soldier is injured, maimed or killed while trying to use the issued tool while on duty.

It's not just that they are cheap- Great Neck/Sheffield is also cheap and the quality often ranges from terrible to awful (and back again) but at least they admit it and don't try to pretend they are something they are not by splashing patriotic images and misleading statements across their advertising.

I could go on, but I get enough TL:DR already....  :ahhh

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline stugumby

Reply #10 on: July 08, 2017, 05:32:14 PM
Perhaps the Leatherman Skeletool Rx will do the job for you? it has the carbide breaker and a 154cm serrated blade, no dedicated strap cutter hook though.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: July 08, 2017, 05:53:20 PM
My thought would be smaller is not better in this case.  When you are under stress smaller might be an issue.  Certainly OHO would be a plus IMO.  I like a serrated blade with a sheep foot or wharncliff shape.

I have a automatic center punch in my vehicle for my glass breaker. 
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD