Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I love my SAK because....

pomsbz · 34 · 1404

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
I love my SAK because....
on: July 12, 2017, 05:48:06 PM
Apologies if this has been done before.

I thought it might be fun to not only show or discuss our SAK's but to discuss why we like them so much. What makes them special.

I love my Pruner because:

• The blade geometry is such that it will keep cutting long after the 'hair popping' edge is memory,
  • I can strop the blade up on my chinos,
  • The tool is incredibly thin in comparison to my other slipjoints,
  • The Alox handle gives incredible grip even when wet or greasy,
  • I can wash off and slip back into the pouch wet and never have to worry about rust/patina/corrosion,
  • The little pruner blade is perfect for opening packaging of all kinds,
  • The F&F is far beyond any of my traditional slipjoints while still being cheaper, even for this SB version,
  • Totally people friendly carry.

Anyone else want to choose a particular model and explain why it speaks to them so much? :)
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Re: I love my SAK because....
Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 07:05:07 PM
I love my Vic Tinker because it does the jobs I want it to do.

Rich
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 10:55:02 PM
I love my Soldat because it unlocks refreshment.

It's cool b/c it's good enough for Swiss Soldiers
It has awl the tools of my beloved Spartan but the corkscrew so I am not distracted with the thought of wine drinking while at work.
I don't have to worry about any paint chipping off
It is sharp as a mothersmurfer
And it makes me feel like I'm holding hands with the Swiss Army gods...
WP_20170712_13_52_43_Pro (3).jpg
* WP_20170712_13_52_43_Pro (3).jpg (Filesize: 212.99 KB)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 10:59:01 PM by El Corkscrew »
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline DEMartin

Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 11:08:57 PM
They are just so darn handy.
Water, water, every where,
 And all the boards did shrink;
 Water, water, every where,
 Nor any drop to drink.

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 11:15:06 PM
It doesn't give me grief when I ask it to do something :dd:

br Offline BleaKrytE

• Hello world. I'm Vinícius!
Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 11:45:58 PM
Because it's such a wonderful and trusty thing, that's always there to do the job you need it to do, and does it well.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk
Uni student, environmental activist (yes, I'm that annoying guy that mentions climate change every third minute), motorcyclist.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #6 on: July 13, 2017, 10:11:52 AM
Because it's such a wonderful and trusty thing, that's always there to do the job you need it to do, and does it well.

This ^^^^

Affordable, high quality, amazing utility and dependability.

WP_20170707_003.jpg
* WP_20170707_003.jpg (Filesize: 312.43 KB)
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

00 Offline IvanDrago

Reply #7 on: July 13, 2017, 11:17:39 AM
I like my VIC Forester because:
+It's black
+My father gave me it when I was 17 or 18 (I'm twice older now)
+I took it to many many hikes and camps, it always do the job to be done. Many good memories :)
+the tweezers removed dozens of ticks from me, my friends, kids and pets
-nothing is perfect - I would like to have scissors there
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 11:24:23 AM by IvanDrago »

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #8 on: July 13, 2017, 02:18:22 PM
It's empowering

It's reliable

It's affordable

It's widely accepted by a large percentage of the public

It introduced me to some great people all around the world

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: July 13, 2017, 02:20:51 PM
All of what people have already mentioned, but I'd like to add the simple fact this is actually made to carried comfortably in a pocket. Rounded corners and a general lack of sharp protruding edges.

br Offline BleaKrytE

Reply #10 on: July 13, 2017, 02:46:10 PM
It's widely accepted by a large percentage of the public
That's somethin very important that very often gets overlooked... In rural areas it's ok but I wouldn't have to courage to take out even an Opinel in my city... But really Swiss Army Knife is something so widely known and accepted as a tool, not a weapon, that people simply don't care, and sometimes even get curious about.

Uni student, environmental activist (yes, I'm that annoying guy that mentions climate change every third minute), motorcyclist.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #11 on: July 13, 2017, 03:51:06 PM
I love, and always have with me at least one SAK, 24/7, the Alox Minichamp.
Anywhere I go at any time, out of home I have my keys on me, and the little Vic attached to them

this tiny but mighty allows me to

· Open envelopes, wrappings, cardboard and bottle tops with that awesome wharncliffe blade
· Tighten or open toys, electronics and small devices using the sturdy Phillips driver
·Open that unexpectedly gifted beer or lemonade glass bottle with the useful bottle opener
· Cut fingernails, loose clothes threads, and other hygienic and personal care needs, cut tickets and paper, etc. using those great scissors

· Open the mail or package I just got as soon as I get home, with its package opener
· Feed my hamster or administer him small tiny things like using a spoon via the cuticle pusher

all in a package that fits in your coin pocket, weighs as  much as your hamster and stands use and abuse (sitting on it, banging with keys, etc.) due to its tough alox scales that wear their scars and dings with pride and beauty
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

br Offline BleaKrytE

Reply #12 on: July 13, 2017, 04:10:56 PM
Anywhere I go at any time, out of home I have my keys on me, and the little Vic attached to them

(Image removed from quote.)

· Open envelopes, wrappings, cardboard and bottle tops with that awesome wharncliffe blade
· Tighten or open toys, electronics and small devices using the sturdy Phillips driver
·Open that unexpectedly gifted beer or lemonade glass bottle with the useful bottle opener
· Cut fingernails, loose clothes threads, and other hygienic and personal care needs, cut tickets and paper, etc. using those great scissors

· Open the mail or package I just got as soon as I get home, with its package opener
· Feed my hamster or administer him small tiny things like using a spoon via the cuticle pusher

all in a package that fits in your coin pocket, weighs as  much as your hamster and stands use and abuse (sitting on it, banging with keys, etc.) due to its tough alox scales that wear their scars and dings with pride and beauty
I think I speak for us all when I ask you to post a picture of your hamster and a SAK.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #13 on: July 13, 2017, 04:53:18 PM

I think I speak for us all when I ask you to post a picture of your hamster and a SAK.

Yes that...  :pok:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: July 13, 2017, 05:29:40 PM
Amici,
As a knife nut and collector for many many years, I have them all.. I have production, custom, Ernie's, Benchmade's, fixed, folding, slippies galore, you name it.. I could go on, but you get the picture... Collecting knives is not much different than collecting watches, you get what you pay for plus it can be both addictive and quite expensive...

But in the end I always fall back on one of the models from my SAK collection even more so, especially as I get a tad older.

The main reason being is that I usually no longer find myself having the need to carry any of the prior mentioned 24/7 since I no longer find myself in situations that require me to do so... Dixie, here I come..

Mind you that if I do find myself in a possible situation, I will definitely compliment my EDC with an Ernie or something comparable. but the Victorinox would still be the primary tool I would pull out and use, whilst the other would stay safely clipped and outta sight.

For me pocketing just a VIC seems to address any or just about all of my EDC needs, either when on the job or off duty as a civilian. Plus living in the Peoples Republic here on the east coast where the instinct to defend or protect oneself and loved ones is frowned upon and openly discouraged, no matter how nutty that sounds, but that is what it is..

So it's easier to pull out a Swisschamp or a Tinker to slice a burger or a sandwich than a full sized black coated Emerson Commander. Those I would leave either back at the Eagles nest, or carry the smaller sized version accessible yet safely clipped, and once again, outta sight and outta mind.

Cheers,
Serge
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 05:35:09 PM by sergemaster »
'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #15 on: July 13, 2017, 09:22:29 PM

Me too please.  :pok:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: July 14, 2017, 12:55:09 AM
84mm Tinker.  Its compact yet completely capable for just about anything.  Its small enough to be discreetly used and put away without as much as a head turn.  If I should loose it its not so expensive that I'd morn for very long.  Its easy to care for.  I dig the red scales which show wear which show I carry and use it.  I can replace those scales if I want to freshen it up.  I come to learn a simple quality made tool thats easy to carry beats most others in my world.   
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline fivesense

Reply #17 on: July 14, 2017, 05:58:00 AM
I love my SAK because it proves my desire to have a knife and tool set as a kid hasn't changed as an adult! It's a FEELING as much as a capability.
Use your tools and enjoy the Zen of maintaining and sharpening them.

Consider donating a couple bucks to this site. There is no better knife or multitool site anywhere on planet internet.

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #18 on: July 14, 2017, 07:39:06 AM
I love my SAK because it proves my desire to have a knife and tool set as a kid hasn't changed as an adult! It's a FEELING as much as a capability.
:like: :like: :like:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #19 on: July 14, 2017, 07:41:41 AM
My SAK doesn't talk incessantly about how its day was or get upset when I don't feel like talking.  My SAK doesn't get all huffy if I ask it to make me a sandwich, and if my SAK should someday find its way into another man's pocket I'll just get another one that will be newer and prettier and I won't even miss it.
111mmday4.JPG
* 111mmday4.JPG (Filesize: 119.87 KB)

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: July 14, 2017, 09:10:56 AM
84mm Tinker.  Its compact yet completely capable for just about anything.  Its small enough to be discreetly used and put away without as much as a head turn.  If I should loose it its not so expensive that I'd morn for very long.  Its easy to care for.  I dig the red scales which show wear which show I carry and use it.  I can replace those scales if I want to freshen it up.  I come to learn a simple quality made tool thats easy to carry beats most others in my world.   

:like:  :salute:

:like:
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

au Offline Grass

• First, we take Manhattan
Reply #21 on: July 14, 2017, 02:27:40 PM
I love my SAK because... it works. It always works. It never lets you down. It never falls apart. It never fails to deliver. It always exceeds expectations. It last forever. In SAK you can trust!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 02:28:50 PM by Grass »

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #22 on: July 14, 2017, 05:24:26 PM

ya folks, here it is  :salute:

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

it Offline shadowrider

Reply #23 on: July 14, 2017, 05:28:33 PM
They are pocketable. They are reliable. They make you feel you're prepared for anything.
Plus they look freakin' adorable.

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #24 on: July 14, 2017, 05:35:17 PM
They are pocketable. They are reliable. They make you feel you're prepared for anything.
What, the hamsters or the SAKs?

Offline mbp

Reply #25 on: July 14, 2017, 05:58:17 PM
All of the above reasons cited, but particularly for me--the sheer value for the money. I WANT to patronize Victorinox because they are making an incredible product at a common man's price.

I've had at least 100 SAKs over my lifetime and never had a fit and finish problem with a single one that I can recall. The consistency is quite admirable.

it Offline shadowrider

Reply #26 on: July 14, 2017, 05:59:07 PM
What, the hamsters or the SAKs?
Uhm... Probably hamsters more so. Especially baby hamsters.
But SAKs don't need to be fed. So that's a tie between baby hamsters and SAKs.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 06:00:41 PM by shadowrider »

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: July 14, 2017, 07:47:31 PM
I can't think of a reason I don't love my SAK's.  So all of the aforementioned and all thoe reasons still to come.   To many reasons for me to put into words.
Or mabybe as my wife says it's because I'm crazy.  She sure dose love it when my SAK an I fix some thing for her though. :climber:  :climber:  :climber:
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

MTo...The BEST place on Earth!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #28 on: July 14, 2017, 07:56:58 PM

ya folks, here it is  :salute:

What kind of hamster is that? And is it not an adult yet?  :think:
Its so tiny and adorable.  :ahhh
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #29 on: July 15, 2017, 01:44:48 AM
Becuase they just work.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $56.34
PayPal Fees: $2.74
Net Balance: $53.60
Below Goal: $246.40
Site Currency: USD
18%