Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Braided wire cutting.

tosh · 63 · 3278

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Braided wire cutting.
on: July 15, 2017, 11:14:34 AM
I was browsing the forum the other night, nothing recent took my eye so looked further afield.
Found a thread on cutting braided wire (brake cable). It just so happened that at work I had been using SS braided cable on speSmurfpillst items intended for London Underground.

The pliers at work are pretty crap  no name jobbies. Yet they snipped through the cable with somewhat ease, which surprised me no end. I decided to bring all the small offcuts home to test on mine.

My cheap Hilka go to pair that resides in a small wooden tool box under the stairs, I actually custom built the box to fit on the shelf and to hold no more than a dozen or so needed tools, 4way screwdriver, tape measure, small hammer, PLIERS etc.

Well, mine just crushed it...peeved I went into the garage to get my "proper" pair (Stanley) cut straight through with a gratifying clean cut and a wonderfully reassuring noise whilst doing so.

My Bahco Cable cutters with special designed pivoted head couldn't get through!!... This I couldn't believe!!

"Okay, time for more tests"

Went upstairs and opened the LM storage box..... You know, I think LM need to go back to the drawing board!! Not a single model of theirs had the ability to cut through braided cable, Not even their EOD MUT!! laughable, unless ofcourse you are a soldier and suddenly find yourself in a situation where you need to cut braided cable...Tip, By a cheap stanley pair at less than a tenth or read on and possibly save a life if not your own!

Tested the SOGs...crushed it
The Schrades...crushed it
Wenger Ranger folding pliers..crushed it

...as I type I've just heard a bang near the front door....Yes it's the Signal I bought used. The seller said it as like new, just checked the cutter.....pristine...just tried the cable test...

.....Part Cut, part Crushed it!!  Leatherman, you gotta be smurfting me!!

Wait, I'm gonna go test the Gerbers MP 600 series

Well, Well this is an eye opener.
The Model with Carbide Cutters  crushed it without severing any strands, the model Without Carbide Cutters, cut straight through...every time.

The Victorinox Spirit crushed it. This surprised me too, as not only are my Spirits new they also fared better in similar braided wire tests here on the forum. The mighty Swisstool also surprised me...cut straight though.

Make of this what you will, but I think it confirms to me that leatherman are just a joke. Oh' tested the OHT too....crushed it, surge crushed it, ST300 crushed it Wave crushed it, Juice crushed it.....Yawn! a pattern is beginning to emerge!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 11:52:21 AM by tosh »
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Braided wire cutting.
Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 11:43:13 AM
I've never found a MT pliers that cut brake cables well,I guess it's because most sure cutters on MT's cross each other ,I find that jam up  :-\

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 11:50:50 AM
Hi Zed

Have to say I'm stunned by the crude mp600, I almost didn't even try it as I simply assumed as you say they would cross over and jam, yet it was the carbide versions that couldn't cut it!
Go figure

i think leatherman need to ask themselves a few questions. Not a single model of theirs could cut the cable! Yet they are by and large the most expensive models tested here.....rubbish!!

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 12:06:24 PM
Hi Zed

Have to say I'm stunned by the crude mp600, I almost didn't even try it as I simply assumed as you say they would cross over and jam, yet it was the carbide versions that couldn't cut it!
Go figure

i think leatherman need to ask themselves a few questions. Not a single model of theirs could cut the cable! Yet they are by and large the most expensive models tested here.....rubbish!!

I agree mate,oddly it's braided type wire that I've mainly needed wire cutters for,I've only ever owned 1 wingman but I'm sure there sure cutters don't cross as pinch together? Have you ever tested them ?  :tu:

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 12:25:35 PM
Hi Zed

Go figure

I agree mate,oddly it's braided type wire that I've mainly needed wire cutters for,I've only ever owned 1 wingman but I'm sure there sure cutters don't cross as pinch together? Have you ever tested them ?  :tu:

Believe it or not, I don't have a Wingman!!
For some reason I never wanted it. But I have a plethora of other Gerbers  MP 400,500, 600, 650, 700, 800 strata, tread etc
I'll try and test them this afternoon. Also will try more SOG models. I've got some spare bike cable in the garage...if I can find it I'll test that too

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 01:13:29 PM
Food for thought... Was the braided wire under tension? A multi that cannot cut slack braided wire might be able to cut the same stuff under tension?  :think:
Not excusing the failures... Just thinking out loud.
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 01:44:26 PM
I am yet to cut braided wire with any of my Leathermans... but I notice one is meant to cut in an ever so slightly different place than when cutting hard wire.
When you look at their website for, say, the Surge http://www.leatherman.com/surge-3.html?dwvar_3_color=10&cgid=heavy-duty-multi-tools#start=1 and click on Stranded-Wire Cutters it says:
"Concave cutters located under plier jaws for use on Stranded wire - smaller gauge wire bundled or wrapped together to form a larger conductor. The concave shape helps to keep the shape of the strands without crushing them."
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 02:10:18 PM by Syncop8r »

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: July 15, 2017, 01:58:26 PM
Food for thought... Was the braided wire under tension? A multi that cannot cut slack braided wire might be able to cut the same stuff under tension?  :think:
Not excusing the failures... Just thinking out loud.

No these were all off cuts around 6" long.
Funny what you say about cutting under tension...I actually noticed that at work, those cheap pliers were noticeably better when I was trimming the cable after it had been crimped inside brass cable terminals.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: July 15, 2017, 02:38:02 PM
 :oops:

I've really got nothing to say but way to go Tosh.  Shame there were so many failures and awful LM dominated those failures. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Dean51

• No Life Club
  • Geometry cuts but the steel determines how long.
Reply #9 on: July 15, 2017, 02:54:47 PM
I've cut lots of braided electrical wire with Leathermans with out a problem, as well as solid copper and some very light steel wire..
I don't think it is a Letherman, Gerber, Victorinox failure, but the wrong tool for the job.
When it comes to braided steel cable you need a dedicated cutter.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #10 on: July 15, 2017, 03:19:49 PM
well, I don't do experiments of braided wire cutting, but I've had to cut it on occasion with my Multitool, and in all these years my experiences have been:

- SOG Powerlock didn't cut, just crushed, and I got to try several times and twist to finally get through. Damaged the SOG's cutter. You can still see the dent in there

- MP800 and MP600 with carbide inserts didn't go through tension wire on a fence, crushed it but it was impossible to finish the job. I had to go and get some proper tools
- Had to cut through two sizes of braided wire in an abandoned building. I had the LM Wave and the MP Pro Scout, the Wave didn't get through at first, and I had to try hard to cut the thinner wire.
Then I switched to the gerber and it went through the thin one in one cut, and the thicker one as well. No carbide inserts = WIN in my experience

I'd say Gerber's normal cutters are the best, and my SOGs are generally too soft for most wire and cable, I've dented three of them so far
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #11 on: July 16, 2017, 01:06:09 AM
I am yet to cut braided wire with any of my Leathermans... but I notice one is meant to cut in an ever so slightly different place than when cutting hard wire.
When you look at their website for, say, the Surge http://www.leatherman.com/surge-3.html?dwvar_3_color=10&cgid=heavy-duty-multi-tools#start=1 and click on Stranded-Wire Cutters it says:
"Concave cutters located under plier jaws for use on Stranded wire - smaller gauge wire bundled or wrapped together to form a larger conductor. The concave shape helps to keep the shape of the strands without crushing them."

It's very difficult to see the difference between the stranded-wire cutting area and the hard-wire cutting area... but I believe the former is the tiny concave part.

First pic is stranded-wire cutting area, second is hard-wire cutting area:

* Stranded-wire cutters.jpg (Filesize: 12.91 KB)

* Hard-wire cutters.jpg (Filesize: 10.75 KB)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 01:29:35 AM by Syncop8r »

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #12 on: July 16, 2017, 01:10:02 AM

It's very difficult to see the difference between the stranded-wire cutting area and the hard-wire cutting area... but I believe the former is the tiny concave part.

Nope, under the pliers jaws ... handle side of the pivot ...

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #13 on: July 16, 2017, 01:16:37 AM
They say under in their description, but their pic shows it as being the tiny concave part of the replaceable hard-wire cutters (see my post above).

I have heard others say this - you mean just above the crimpers?

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: July 16, 2017, 01:19:11 AM
They say under in their description, but their pic shows it as being the tiny concave part of the replaceable hard-wire cutters (see my post above).

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's the area just above the crimps  :tu: I think they did this on one of their others too. St300? Surge?

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #15 on: July 16, 2017, 01:26:39 AM
Just checked on their website: Surge, ST300 and MUT all show stranded wire cutters above the head. So either their pics are wrong or perhaps their description is.
I couldn't find any other models with stranded-wire cutters.
It would be good to get to the bottom of this...

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: July 16, 2017, 01:30:16 AM

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's the area just above the crimps  :tu: I think they did this on one of their others too. St300? Surge?

Also on the Core just above the crimpers handle side.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: July 16, 2017, 02:16:36 AM
Eth's thread... Quick Test: MTs vs. Bike Break Cable

One of mine... High Tensile Wire Cutting Test, Warning: Minor Tool Abuse

The SwissTool and MP600 struggled with the bare steel braid, no issues when sheathed, the Surge and BlackTip cut both fine.

I've found cutting under tension does make a difference.

Leatherman should include the stranded wire cutters (yes they are on the handle side) on their smaller MTs like the Charge and Signal.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #18 on: July 16, 2017, 02:25:06 AM
Went upstairs and opened the LM storage box..... You know, I think LM need to go back to the drawing board!! Not a single model of theirs had the ability to cut through braided cable, Not even their EOD MUT!!

...Yes it's the Signal I bought used. The seller said it as like new, just checked the cutter.....pristine...just tried the cable test...

.....Part Cut, part Crushed it!!  Leatherman, you gotta be smurfting me!!

Make of this what you will, but I think it confirms to me that leatherman are just a joke. Oh' tested the OHT too....crushed it, surge crushed it, ST300 crushed it Wave crushed it, Juice crushed it.....Yawn! a pattern is beginning to emerge!

Whereabouts on the Leatherman pliers did you cut the wire?

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #19 on: July 16, 2017, 02:27:53 AM
Eth's thread... Quick Test: MTs vs. Bike Break Cable

One of mine... High Tensile Wire Cutting Test, Warning: Minor Tool Abuse

The SwissTool and MP600 struggled with the bare steel braid, no issues when sheathed, the Surge and BlackTip cut both fine.

I've found cutting under tension does make a difference.

Leatherman should include the stranded wire cutters (yes they are on the handle side) on their smaller MTs like the Charge and Signal.

Thanks. So Leatherman's pics on their site are wrong then.

us Offline aluminated

Braided wire cutting.
Reply #20 on: July 16, 2017, 02:36:35 AM
Just checked on their website: Surge, ST300 and MUT all show stranded wire cutters above the head. So either their pics are wrong or perhaps their description is.
I couldn't find any other models with stranded-wire cutters.
It would be good to get to the bottom of this...
It's no great mystery. The blue dot on their interactive feature guide is in the wrong place.
Please see their user guide.

I just did some of my own testing with some 3/32" (2.4mm) cable.
None of my standard copper wire cutting tools cut it acceptably. This includes linesman's pliers, Vise-grips, large diagonal cutters and an even larger crimper/cutter tool. My LM Wave didn't come close to cutting through it. My Swisstool tried to chew through it but was unsuccessful without adding extensive bending/fatiguing of the cable.
The MOST successful tool in my arsenal was my BO Surge, using a combination of the [correct] stranded wire cutter notch and then the regular wire cutters. I believe 1/16" (1.6mm) wire like my bike brake and shift cables would have fit in the stranded wire cutter notch and would have been cut cleanly, as all or the 3/32" cable that fit in the notch was.
"Rubbish" would not have been my choice for a tool that performed better than all my other tools, including tools that were designed for the specific task being tested. Then again, I don't have an agenda, while the posts of the OP make me wonder if I'm alone in this.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 02:41:18 AM by aluminated »

us Offline Pacu

Reply #21 on: July 16, 2017, 03:21:59 AM
Working at Best Buy construction I always tried to use my Wave, Charge or Surge to cut braided wire...worked 10% of the time. Always jam.  :rant:
My savior was Knipex diagonal cutters. Never could find a reliable cutter on any of my multis.
:like:    :MTO:

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #22 on: July 16, 2017, 07:28:26 AM
In my tests (in Etherearlicer's thread Zoidberg linked to above) the Spirit, Rebar and MP400 came out best at cutting stainless braided cable (bike brake cable).  I haven't tried the Surge but will have a go today if I get chance.

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: July 16, 2017, 08:48:44 AM
Thanks for everyones input on this.
Yes, Etherealicers original thread is what made me assume the Spirit would come out top...but my own Spirit couldn't get through, took its bigger brother the swisstool to get the job done and with ease I must add.
I'll try again with LM's at my next opportunity, having said that I did try all the places on the plier head that have been listed above. Everytime the head just jammed and had to be forced apart using brute force or a screwdriver to pry open!! It really shouldn't be that difficult.
I'll stand by my "Rubbish" remark, I can't begin to say how appalled I was that the MUT EOD failed....WTF Leatherman!!

Yes, I too love MT's, god only knows I have enough of 'em  :D
And, I accept that ALL MT's (SAKs too) are a compromise in one way or another.....BUT, come on given the ridiculously high rrp of these tools they really should fair better than they have.

Like I keep banging on about, I think its time they (Manufacturers) upp'd their game and transformed the MT into a serious tool and not just some cute plier with added gadget factor. It really does annoy me. These are very expensive items....very expensive! But yet cannot be relied upon 100%, which in my book makes them unsuitable for their proposed market.

I quite honestly couldn't give a toss about asthetics, colour, BO or SS, cute factor or tacticool what I need and dare I say demand, is a simple tool that can be relied upon, to that end I feel as though a high percentage simply fail to even achieve that.

"Rubbish" is the word

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: July 16, 2017, 07:06:21 PM
Yes, Etherealicers original thread is what made me assume the Spirit would come out top...but my own Spirit couldn't get through, took its bigger brother the swisstool to get the job done and with ease I must add.
I'll try again with LM's at my next opportunity, having said that I did try all the places on the plier head that have been listed above. Everytime the head just jammed and had to be forced apart using brute force or a screwdriver to pry open!! It really shouldn't be that difficult.
I'll stand by my "Rubbish" remark, I can't begin to say how appalled I was that the MUT EOD failed....WTF Leatherman!!

And, I accept that ALL MT's (SAKs too) are a compromise in one way or another.....BUT, come on given the ridiculously high rrp of these tools they really should fair better than they have.

Like I keep banging on about, I think its time they (Manufacturers) upp'd their game and transformed the MT into a serious tool and not just some cute plier with added gadget factor. It really does annoy me. These are very expensive items....very expensive! But yet cannot be relied upon 100%, which in my book makes them unsuitable for their proposed market.

I quite honestly couldn't give a toss about asthetics, colour, BO or SS, cute factor or tacticool what I need and dare I say demand, is a simple tool that can be relied upon, to that end I feel as though a high percentage simply fail to even achieve that.

"Rubbish" is the word

Lol Tosh this is how I feel about sogs files  :facepalm:

us Offline aluminated

Reply #25 on: July 17, 2017, 12:38:34 AM

"Rubbish" is the word

Just curious: when almost all files fail a particular test, would you repeatedly single out only one of the brands repeatedly and subject only it to your scorn and derision? Or might that show a bias?

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: July 17, 2017, 02:02:56 AM
Isn't this more about anvil vs. bypass cutters and less of a quality issue :think:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: July 17, 2017, 02:20:00 AM

"Rubbish" is the word

Just curious: when almost all files fail a particular test, would you repeatedly single out only one of the brands repeatedly and subject only it to your scorn and derision? Or might that show a bias?

I can't speak for the others, but I personally would weight the level of criticism based on how deficient the tool appears to be. Sometimes it warrents a negative comment, and sometimes a full weight rant - possibly even repeatedly  ::) :D On that basis, SOG would indeed be criticised more than other makers  :P >:D as I'm with Zed in considering the SOG files to be particularly poor  :salute:

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #28 on: July 17, 2017, 02:51:01 AM
Here's a question: Is braided wire something that ANY pliers should be expected to cut easily?

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #29 on: July 17, 2017, 09:20:20 AM
Here's a question: Is braided wire something that ANY pliers should be expected to cut easily?
IMO, no.  It's a tricky task, particularly if the wire is hard material like stainless.  I wouldn't expect a typical linesman's pliers with diagonal cutters to perform that well.  You really need hard, sharp and close fitting bypass cutters that don't allow the cable to flatten as you cut it.  In theory, the Surge/Rebar/MUT/OHT/Signal should be ideal for this, but there's obviously some variation in performance.  IMO, the cast plier heads that most (all?) manufacturers use aren't up to repeated use on hard braided wire.  Clean cuts on softer braided wire like copper seems to be dependent on a close fit between the two halves of the pliers head (if a bypass style) or accuracy of the cutting edges meeting (if side-cutter style, like the Wingman/Sidekick).

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%