Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Buying Knives in the UK

Kev D · 51 · 1521

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Buying Knives in the UK
on: July 18, 2017, 12:03:33 PM
It's just been on the news that from very soon if we buy a knife online in the UK we will have to collect them in person from the post office to prove we are over 18.

Apparently this is to prevent children getting hold of knives as easily.  It won't prevent one walking into the kitchen and taking one out of a drawer through will it. Just another stupid knife law  :rant: :twak:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Re: Buying Knives in the UK
Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 12:11:23 PM
It's just been on the news that from very soon if we buy a knife online in the UK we will have to collect them in person from the post office to prove we are over 18.

Apparently this is to prevent children getting hold of knives as easily.  It won't prevent one walking into the kitchen and taking one out of a drawer through will it. Just another stupid knife law  :rant: :twak:
Another useless measure... Its all useless until you ban the kitchen knives that everyone and there dog are using!  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh  :rofl:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 02:56:43 PM
... and yet the PO claims they will not ship knives  ::)

Brewery - piss up - organise - can't :dwts:

It won't stop idiots misusing knives, and it won't stop responsible adults using them properly either. All it will likely do is increase costs - again.

Arseholes!  :rant:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline zr0dfx

Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 04:37:22 PM
What If you ship it by ups or yodel or something?

I really hate all this nanny state nonsense:(

england Offline Kev D

Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 04:39:54 PM

It said we would have to provide I.D. to prove we are over 18. So if using a courier presumably they'd want to see that when delivering to your door. Though I doubt yodel would care, they often just chuck my stuff over my 8ft gates.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 04:47:13 PM by Kevin Davey »

gb Offline zr0dfx

Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 04:43:12 PM

It said was we would have to provide I.D. to prove we are over 18. So if using a courier presumably they'd want to see that when delivering to your door. Though I doubt yodel would care, they often just chuck my stuff over my 8ft gates.

I know amazon already has that policy as I ordered an opinel from them and I had to sign for it and it had a big 18+ only signature required written on the box.

Lol @ yodel

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 04:51:37 PM
That is remarkably stupid.  It's yet another band aid solution to a serious problem.  Perhaps if they put the money and effort into finding the root causes of crime (mental illness, poverty, lack of more constructive options etc) then maybe they wouldn't have to blame inanimate objects.   :facepalm:

Of course to crack down on gun crime they banned guns.  Soon to crack down on knife crime they will ban knives.  Then when it comes to stick crime, trees will be outlawed, followed by rocks until eventually no one will be allowed to grab or hold anything for more than ten seconds without being charged with felony possession, and if they release it more than 2 inches above the ground, and with any force beyond that or gravity they will be charged with assault.   :ahhh

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 05:36:59 PM
We have been ranting all day on FB about this, I feel the same Def  :salute: I mean what's next ban pencils as there pointy, or ban rulers as could be sharpened, it's pathetic,  our governments a joke,like said they need to solve the actual problem as most things can be used as a weapon and these smurfs don't use quality knives just there mum's kitchen knife  :rant:

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 06:14:34 PM
I can already see the council estate worthies setting up businesses to pick up knives from the post office for a fee to keep all the youngsters supplied. Heck it's what I'd do if I were them (thank heavens I was not born into their hopelessness but I grew up a few hundred yards away from it in Newcastle, Liverpool and Manchester). Do the people making these laws never think more than a single move ahead?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 06:16:05 PM by pomsbz »
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: July 18, 2017, 06:21:53 PM
SIGH, will have to suffice as I put away my soap box not wanting to say really harsh things.   
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: July 18, 2017, 06:37:10 PM
Plus they was saying about people not being aloud knives in there house  :facepalm: never smurfing ending ,collecting in the uk just gets harder and harder, and as for what we can carry  :ahhh I need to move to a jungle asap  :D

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #11 on: July 18, 2017, 06:41:14 PM
it is for your own safety. free from the EU the UK public can now  be better protected :)

you can always gift your dangerous weapons to other MTO members
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: July 18, 2017, 06:41:59 PM
Plus they was saying about people not being aloud knives in there house  :facepalm: never smurfing ending ,collecting in the uk just gets harder and harder, and as for what we can carry  :ahhh I need to move to a jungle asap  :D
Source? This is no-carrying-bare-hands-on-to-an-airplane insane.  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

All hail the hook!

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #13 on: July 18, 2017, 06:43:04 PM
Insane.  :shrug:
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #14 on: July 18, 2017, 07:04:52 PM
Business as usual as far as I'm concerned.

Business as usual for the clueless numpties who feel compelled to chuck a new statute on the books to justify their existence.

Business as usual for the chavtastic oiks who just nick other people's kitchen knives.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: July 18, 2017, 07:20:27 PM

So the police are going to visit and confiscate all the 'weapons' are they?

Sarge, I've found an axe
Here's another one
And...
Sarge I think we need a bigger van

Smurfin Muppets  :bnghd:
Everything’s adjustable

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #16 on: July 18, 2017, 07:28:06 PM
it is part of the war on terror
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #17 on: July 19, 2017, 01:39:23 AM
WEAPON (ˈwepən), noun. The means by which one party imposes its will upon another.

These kinds of regulations ARE weapons. Discussing to what end might would be political, but as I had to explain to someone today who was bleating that I hurt his feelings that you can't bleed out from a stubbed ego (and that he was making so much noise you'd think someone gelded a bull with a spoon). "Think of the children" is the excuse given by those who have a child's mind in a mature body.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #18 on: July 19, 2017, 06:43:46 AM
Whatever people in US saying about California's gun laws I can just say the same about U.K. Knife laws.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #19 on: July 19, 2017, 10:42:54 AM
Whatever people in US saying about California's gun laws I can just say the same about U.K. Knife laws.

Sorry Kam the Americans are rank amateurs when it comes to restrictive laws and legislation (I know the reasons, don't start on me lol).

Again this is case of the current laws not being enforced by the police and looking for an easy solution which the police don't have to enforce.

It is illegal to:
    • sell a knife of any kind to anyone under 18 years old (16 to 18 year olds in Scotland can buy cutlery and kitchen knives)
    • carry a knife in public without good reason - unless it’s a knife with a folding blade 3 inches long (7.62 cm) or less, e.g. a Swiss Army knife
    • carry, buy or sell any type of banned knife
    • use any knife in a threatening way (including a legal knife, such as a Swiss Army knife)

Seems very simple to me, enforce this and the problem goes away
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 11:43:45 AM by hiraethus »
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #20 on: July 19, 2017, 11:29:23 AM
Simply just make it illegal to murder another person.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: July 19, 2017, 11:38:52 AM
Simply just make it illegal to murder another person.
Good idea!

Oh wait a minute....

All hail the hook!

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #22 on: July 19, 2017, 11:44:52 AM
Smashie, I fixed the formatting in your (very sensible) post.  Hope I got it right without changing what you intended to say. :tu:

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: July 19, 2017, 12:42:17 PM
Look peeps, its very simple, if you didn't have to worry about human rights or the law, problems would be easy to solve.

There's been a few happenings locally that you read about in wonderment, but nothing gets done............

In neighboring South Africa there's a takeover happening in the criminal underworld, you can read names and details in the newspapers, but the cops can't/won't do anything about it.......and a crime boss gets shot up driving his Audi R8 in broad daylight.....

On the Namibian scene, radioactive crap leaks out of a taillings dam for 2 weeks at a chinese-owned uranium mine.........2 weeks anybody with a Facebook account has known about it, and now finally they admit it with many excuses....

To get back to my original thought, let's say Muammar Gaddafi ruled Southern Africa.........crime lords? Arrest and shoot them.  Tailings dam leak?  FIX IT........yesterday, not next year while we issue a tender or get quotes....

I mention Gaddafi as a prime example considering the state of Libya after his removal.

Problem being if they hadn't killed him he likely would've turned into another senile dictator.

No hope.........what do you think the knife laws on Mars will be?  :facepalm:

00 Offline Borg

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: July 19, 2017, 06:39:29 PM
It really pissed me off when i had to get rid of my airguns, are knives next on the list i wonder, good luck policing that one..
My mum bought me a SAK for my 13th birthday, never once entered my head to use it as a weapon  ::)
Lets face it, if needed you have a choice of a Bantam or a big stick in a fight, im guessing most of us would choose the big stick, are they wanting 18+ signed -for collect at post office with big sticks?
Knife laws are already here, i see no reason to go after the genuine legal knife user/carrier/collector here, go after the little scrote with the machete stuffed up his jumper in the town centre
Poker Face Milk dud world champion 2021

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #25 on: July 20, 2017, 04:05:56 AM
Let's just be careful not to get too political in this one guys!   :pok:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: July 20, 2017, 07:13:48 AM
It really pissed me off when i had to get rid of my airguns, are knives next on the list i wonder, good luck policing that one..
My mum bought me a SAK for my 13th birthday, never once entered my head to use it as a weapon  ::)
Lets face it, if needed you have a choice of a Bantam or a big stick in a fight, im guessing most of us would choose the big stick, are they wanting 18+ signed -for collect at post office with big sticks?
Knife laws are already here, i see no reason to go after the genuine legal knife user/carrier/collector here, go after the little scrote with the machete stuffed up his jumper in the town centre
Are airguns illegal now in the UK? I spent my teenage years plinking.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: July 20, 2017, 08:29:06 AM

:salute:
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://basc.org.uk/airgunning/advice/basc-air-rifle-code-of-practice/&ved=0ahUKEwiMr5O6nZfVAhVHI8AKHSvACWsQFggeMAA&usg=AFQjCNHKZSfx3Zg5M2A5NRqP4ynouV4QSw

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: July 21, 2017, 09:37:43 AM

:salute:
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://basc.org.uk/airgunning/advice/basc-air-rifle-code-of-practice/&ved=0ahUKEwiMr5O6nZfVAhVHI8AKHSvACWsQFggeMAA&usg=AFQjCNHKZSfx3Zg5M2A5NRqP4ynouV4QSw

I'm confused now as to why Borg had to get rid of his airguns?

gb Offline zr0dfx

Reply #29 on: July 21, 2017, 12:24:39 PM
Maybe he lives in Scotland as we have to have a licence to own an airgun here.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%