Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wonder if...

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Wonder if...
on: July 22, 2017, 10:31:08 AM
  Wonder if anyone has ever sent a modified LM tool in for replacements, and wonder what LM did in return. :think: Never heard of anyone trying it, but these days one never knows.
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Re: Wonder if...
Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 10:50:54 AM
Read somehere here, someone did try to claim an MT custom made by Texas Tool Crafters. And TTC got a cease and desist order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Sparkey

• Road Monkey
Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 05:22:15 PM
  Wonder if anyone has ever sent a modified LM tool in for replacements, and wonder what LM did in return. :think: Never heard of anyone trying it, but these days one never knows.
From what I have heard on here and a few other forums, if you modify the tool, you void the warranty. There's a thread on here somewhere, but I can't find it right now.

"

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 05:49:12 PM
  Yeah, think most know that voiding a warranty part. Yet there are some of those that push the boundaries on things.  :rofl:
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 10:37:39 PM
I can see LM honoring a warranty say on the pliers if they broke even if you modified the drivers for example.   One certainly doesn't have anything to do with the other.  Same goes for a broken blade if you modified the pliers. 

Worst that will happen is they send the tool back. 
Esse Quam Videri

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 12:56:00 AM
But if you have modified ANY of the tool it gives them an 'out'. Like how an insurance company looks for a technicality to get them off paying out. Not that I am suggesting anything sinister - warranty repairs must cost them a lot.

Offline Sparkey

• Road Monkey
Reply #6 on: July 23, 2017, 01:09:53 AM
But if you have modified ANY of the tool it gives them an 'out'. Like how an insurance company looks for a technicality to get them off paying out. Not that I am suggesting anything sinister - warranty repairs must cost them a lot.
LM is pretty liberal in my experience. I returned a supertool(bent driver) and a kick(bent pilers), flat out told them what happened and they sent me replacements for both, no questions asked. I would say that if the modification led directly to the tool failing, they would probably say no.

"

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: July 23, 2017, 06:52:54 AM
I agree if the modification was the failed part then no I cannot see them allowing the claim.  If the failed part had nothing to do with the modification then I "think" they'd honor the warranty.  I'd imagine if would depend on what failed and what was modified.  Plier head breaking with no modification tho a flat driver was modified into a chisel I see this being ok.  I agree it would certainly be up to them however I'd send in the tool and take a chance. 
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #8 on: July 23, 2017, 08:59:15 AM
If I had modded a tool then I would fix it myself. I'd accept I'd voided the warranty, and I'd not want to risk getting a standard tool back, and having to then source/make all the parts to mod it all over again.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD