Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I Recently Converted My Alox Mod to Torx

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Re: I Recently Converted My Alox Mod to Torx
Reply #30 on: July 31, 2017, 12:39:20 AM
Great thread, and very useful  :tu:

Going back to the original motivation for a moment though, are we sure that it's the brass that's not up to the job. If the pins need repeening, they may be stretching, OR the peened heads may just be "settling" in the holes. I had this happen on one of my mods - everything was tight, but it became a little sloppy with gaps between layers without doing much work. The pins weren't stretching, but the peened heads were pulling in slightly. It may have been that when I was peening, the knife was adequately supported but not the pin itself, and this may have floated slightly when peening the second side.

Hopefully that makes sense  :think:
Good point... That could be the case too... I suspected that initially... I used the same type of brass pins for my other mods, and I never had to re-peen...

The brass pin material available locally could also be different from those available overseas... The ones I have are actually brass welding rods... I once tried brass pins made in Germany... they were tougher to cut...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I meant to talk about brass head forming practices and what Ive learned and this reminded me.  In most of the tutorials people show to form the head on one end first then assemble.  DONT!  Put the pins in unformed and trim to length then peen both heads so they form into the space available.  Think about how the space you want to fill is like a countersunk V shape and forming a mushroom head to fit that is not the best fit, and one reason rivets made this way will loosen. 

I peen all my 91mm mods this way now so the brass forms nicely into the bushings.  It just takes a few taps on one end at a time, and if you have too much brass, file or grind as you work.   :tu:
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #31 on: July 31, 2017, 12:46:09 AM

Going back to the original motivation for a moment though, are we sure that it's the brass that's not up to the job. If the pins need repeening, they may be stretching, OR the peened heads may just be "settling" in the holes. I had this happen on one of my mods - everything was tight, but it became a little sloppy with gaps between layers without doing much work. The pins weren't stretching, but the peened heads were pulling in slightly. It may have been that when I was peening, the knife was adequately supported but not the pin itself, and this may have floated slightly when peening the second side.

Good point... That could be the case too... I suspected that initially... I used the same type of brass pins for my other mods, and I never had to re-peen...

The brass pin material available locally could also be different from those available overseas... The ones I have are actually brass welding rods... I once tried brass pins made in Germany... they were tougher to cut...

I meant to talk about brass head forming practices and what Ive learned and this reminded me.  In most of the tutorials people show to form the head on one end first then assemble.  DONT!  Put the pins in unformed and trim to length then peen both heads so they form into the space available.  Think about how the space you want to fill is like a countersunk V shape and forming a mushroom head to fit that is not the best fit, and one reason rivets made this way will loosen. 

I peen all my 91mm mods this way now so the brass forms nicely into the bushings.  It just takes a few taps on one end at a time, and if you have too much brass, file or grind as you work.   :tu:
I discovered that if you hit the Brass rod head on just right, repeatedly, the end sort of "bulges" out, increasing in diameter slightly. I think that combined with a nicely formed head, the "bulge" helps fill the brushing?

I hear what you say about not preening until the rod is in the SAK, but I can preen my best when the rod is spinning on a drill.  :think:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #32 on: July 31, 2017, 03:07:00 AM

I discovered that if you hit the Brass rod head on just right, repeatedly, the end sort of "bulges" out, increasing in diameter slightly. I think that combined with a nicely formed head, the "bulge" helps fill the brushing?

I hear what you say about not preening until the rod is in the SAK, but I can preen my best when the rod is spinning on a drill.  :think:
Interesting... my firsts few mods were peened they way Robert explained... It was challenging for me... a few bent pins in the process... And then I found this impact drill trick... convenient... of course it still needed a few taps here and there so that the pin head will fit nicely into the 91mm bushings... not aesthetically pleasing though... but then celidor scales will hide the ugly peen job... of course exposed pins are a different story... would have to be careful with metal scales...

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #33 on: July 31, 2017, 04:03:36 AM

Interesting... my firsts few mods were peened they way Robert explained... It was challenging for me... a few bent pins in the process... And then I found this impact drill trick... convenient... of course it still needed a few taps here and there so that the pin head will fit nicely into the 91mm bushings... not aesthetically pleasing though... but then celidor scales will hide the ugly peen job... of course exposed pins are a different story... would have to be careful with metal scales...

I dont have the patience to peen exposed pins.  Cellidor is nice, peen to get the right tension on the rivet, then remove any excess brass stock.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
I Recently Converted My Alox Mod to Torx
Reply #34 on: July 31, 2017, 04:08:32 AM
Patience is one thing I still need to develop... Good thing there are torx screws and pivots... :facepalm:

« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 04:10:09 AM by jaya_man »

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: July 31, 2017, 05:53:29 AM
the end sort of "bulges" out, increasing in diameter slightly. I think that combined with a nicely formed head, the "bulge" helps fill the brushing?

Ahem.....

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #37 on: July 31, 2017, 12:09:17 PM
I asked for it, didn't I?  :facepalm:

All hail the hook!

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #38 on: July 31, 2017, 12:25:40 PM
You can't help yourself this morning can you P?  :D

'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #39 on: July 31, 2017, 12:28:24 PM
You can't help yourself this morning can you P?  :D
It must be that time of the month...

All hail the hook!

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #40 on: July 31, 2017, 01:46:08 PM

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #41 on: July 31, 2017, 10:08:05 PM
Getting peened heads to look good is a practice thing. Lots of it.
Also the torx pivots were made by someone else with a cnc machine and not anyone here. The "brass" pivots are not brass but a special copper that was heat treated. They were made specifically for me to my specs. As Syph can tell you quality matters when it comes to pivots.
Btw, I'm still around and lurk in the shadows always watching.
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #42 on: August 01, 2017, 12:43:37 AM
Hey Steven, nice to know your still around... Guess you know the next question some will be asking... Can we still get some? :lol:

Offline george1

Reply #43 on: August 01, 2017, 11:31:30 PM
Steve,
Do you remember the actual specs of the "special copper" matwrial that you  used.
I'm considering getting some pivots made as l can't make myself pay close to $100 to order a handful of pivots from Alpha Knife Supplies ($ 50 min order plus international postage plus the exchange rate).
Cheers
George

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #44 on: August 02, 2017, 02:49:01 PM
Would the 1/8" ones not be easy to convert to 3mm by screwing them onto a hex head bolt held in a drill chuck, spinning it up and sanding down a little on a bit of emery? There's very little between the two sizes, so I wouldn't have thought that the wall thickness reduction would be detrimental

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #45 on: August 02, 2017, 03:19:05 PM
The 1/8" pivots are hardened stainless.

pt Offline FInixNOver

Reply #46 on: August 14, 2017, 07:20:29 PM
Thanks Guys :cheers:

The pivots were part of a deal I had with Tattoosteve99... An awesome guy and friend... A good person to deal with...

First of all, great mod!!  :drool: :drool: :like:
As george1 said,
"...I've been holding off on buying the 1/8" pivots from the recommended place as they have a $US 50 minimum order (not including postage) for overseas buyers..."

I've also been searching everywhere for just the right size pivots, but no luck so far... until now!! This is maybe great news... if stock still exists

Getting peened heads to look good is a practice thing. Lots of it.
Also the torx pivots were made by someone else with a cnc machine and not anyone here. The "brass" pivots are not brass but a special copper that was heat treated. They were made specifically for me to my specs. As Syph can tell you quality matters when it comes to pivots.
Btw, I'm still around and lurk in the shadows always watching.

Are there any pivots left?  :whistle: I'd gladly take a set of them off your hands. I'll shoot you a PM.

Offline george1

Reply #47 on: August 17, 2017, 11:30:38 PM
What was the length of the pivots used for this mod?
It seems that the longest 1/8" pivot that are available are 0.5" and the longest 3.0mm tap that l can find is about 14 mm.
I'm now thinking that if l get some 3.0mm pivots made, the tapped hole wont go all the way through.

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #48 on: August 18, 2017, 02:10:06 AM
The pivot barrels are 0.5" in length...

Offline george1

Reply #49 on: August 18, 2017, 09:59:43 AM
The pivot barrels are 0.5" in length...

Thanks heaps.
Cheers
George

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #50 on: August 21, 2017, 11:17:24 AM
What was the length of the pivots used for this mod?
It seems that the longest 1/8" pivot that are available are 0.5" and the longest 3.0mm tap that l can find is about 14 mm.
I'm now thinking that if l get some 3.0mm pivots made, the tapped hole wont go all the way through.

When I made mine I drilled through from one end - the flute length on a standard 1.6mm drill (tapping drill for M2) is around 20mm - then tapped from each end.  The slight mismatch in threads in the centre shouldn't matter.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%