Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Can anybody verify if this is a Leatherman?

Ratrob · 18 · 1185

Offline Ratrob

• New User
Can anybody verify if this is a Leatherman?
on: August 12, 2017, 11:10:18 PM
Hello all,

I recently purchased this multitool from a pawn shop which claimed this was a Leatherman, but it has no stamp or mark on it.  I bought it anyways because it was only $7 and it was a big upgrade from my current tool that is plastic and cheap.  This looks like a pretty good quality tool and well made.  Can anybody verify if this is a Leatherman or help me figure out if it is any kind of name brand?  Any help would be appreciated! 

Thanks
WIN_20170812_14_06_00_Pro.jpg
* WIN_20170812_14_06_00_Pro.jpg (Filesize: 138.74 KB)
WIN_20170812_14_08_25_Pro.jpg
* WIN_20170812_14_08_25_Pro.jpg (Filesize: 60.27 KB)
WIN_20170812_14_08_48_Pro.jpg
* WIN_20170812_14_08_48_Pro.jpg (Filesize: 131.57 KB)

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Can anybody verify if this is a Leatherman?
Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 11:15:28 PM
I'm not a Leatherman expert at all, but my impression is that this is not an actual Leatherman.

I'm sure someone with more knowledge will confirm or deny this soon enough though!
:cheers:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 11:15:49 PM
Oh, and welcome to the forum!!

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 11:32:24 PM
First of all, welcome!

That tool is a copy of a tool called the Bear and Son Bear Jaws. I've never actually used the copies, but that tool seems to be quite solidly built.  The copies were sold as Blue Point and Schrade, among other brands.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 11:32:47 PM
Welcome to the forum  :cheers:

No, that is not a Leatherman but I think you did good for $7    :tu:

us Offline Tsquare

Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 03:41:39 AM
It looks sturdy for a 7 dollar tool.  I think you did good.

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 13, 2017, 03:54:30 AM
Nice beater!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: August 13, 2017, 03:59:04 AM
Question is already answered, so I will just welcome you to :MTO: :cheers:

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #8 on: August 13, 2017, 04:40:35 AM
Welcome, Ratrob.

Like others have said, Bear and Sons, probably an earlier one. I had one, it's nothing special but it's solid. For seven bucks, very good score, it's a worker.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

Offline Ratrob

• New User
Reply #9 on: August 13, 2017, 03:53:40 PM
Thanks everybody for the input. I think I'm going to eventually get a Leatherman Wave multi tool but this guy will work for now.  I also know my kids are going to get me a PS4 for my upcoming birthday. 

Just to add a quick story, I am a nurse; a male nurse (insert your jokes here....)  I started getting into Leatherman tools when one day I was working in cardiac ICU and an Emergency Department resident had to come up to our floor and put an arterial line in our patient.  I noticed the guy had a crazy pair of scissors and asked him where he got them to which he replied "They're called Leatherman and they're awesome.  I can cut a work boot off a shattered ankle with these!"  Believe it or not, Leathermans are popular in ED departments in the hospital.  I was instantly hooked and started looking up Leatherman tools.  I think it's just kinda interesting how you see these tools being used in so many different situations.   

Thanks again for your input. 

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: August 13, 2017, 04:01:42 PM
No jokes but respect for the nurse job :salute: :cheers:

I have often wondered if anyone in the field of work carried the Raptor and it is good to hear that is getting use for what it is designed for :cheers: :like: :like:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: August 13, 2017, 04:07:57 PM
I have nothing but respect for what you do for a living  :salute:.  As to your $7 tool, its a great inexpensive way to figure out what you like and don't like.  You can beat the daylights out of this tool and when you decide what configuration you want then decide which Leatherman best suits you. 

My guess is the Leatherman you colleague had was the Raptor  :think:.           
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #12 on: August 13, 2017, 11:48:10 PM
I've had genuine Bear & Sons tools, and the cheapo copy that you have (the Phillips is the easiest giveaway that it's the copy). The Bear and Sons tools were the stepping stone for Victorinox to move into the plier multitool realm, as they bought Bear for a while, and based the Swisstool on it, which is a vastly superior tool. The Bear is a decent reliable tool though, and although they were cheap, the copy actually performed quite well on a few tasks. For $7 you have done well, and the tool will pay for itself very quickly. Do not be disheartened that it is not a Leatherman, there are several manufacturers out there, and everybody has their own favourites. If the tool does what you need and does it well, it doesn't matter what name is on the handles.

Welcome to the forum  :tu:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #13 on: August 14, 2017, 02:06:56 PM
Many emergency paramedics and ambulance workers carry the Raptor and use them on occasion on their job, it's common topic on Bladeforums where these folks tend to comment positively on those LMs.
Many trust their jobs and responsibilities to them, I can tell (from stories and comments) that they love the tool and it's and extraordinary purpose-driven design    :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

00 Offline Carrier

• New User
Reply #14 on: August 14, 2017, 08:58:49 PM
Good one on getting into Leatherman tools.

They are well designed, well built and they really work. 
Your photo's could fool me into thinking it was a Leatherman supertool original, but if the brandname is missing, that's really a giveaway - it's not a Leatherman. 
And there are tons of multitools out there, and they are all designed for 'toolcount' and 'low production costs'.   
Leatherman, Victorinox and to some extend, Gerber, seem to be the only ones saying 'screw the costs, it has to work!'

I carry a Wave on a clip in my pocket.  The main feature for me is the outside tools. It means you're holding something with one hand, and without letting go, your other hand reaches out and has a knife in it.
The PS4 is beautiful, but with all respect it deserves for its design, it does not have that. 

Raptor or possibly Surge sounds very good for you.  You will not be sorry you bought it, not a single day.

Stil got the original Supertool (25 years and counting).  The Crunch for the fabulous jaws. The Micra. The Wingman for good measure and the PS4 for fun. But I never the house without my left-handed Wave-2.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: August 15, 2017, 01:30:55 AM
Welcome to :MTO: as well Carrier :cheers:

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #16 on: August 15, 2017, 01:54:25 AM
Just to add a quick story, I am a nurse; a male nurse (insert your jokes here....)

I never joke about male nurses.

Although on day I expect to have a fetching jacket with long sleeves and dead sexy buckles in the back, and when I'm out and about I'll be accompanied by a pair of male nurses who could be mistaken for the Brute Squad. :P

This is an addictive hobby.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #17 on: August 16, 2017, 04:45:20 PM
I don't know why would anyone laugh at a male nurse.
On this very month, 3 years ago, a male nurse saved my life on the Pyrenees. Hadn't it ben for him I'd most likely be dead right now. I am very grateful for what he did and the luck I had having him close by at that bad time.

:salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%