Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Cricket - I have questions...

us Offline redmond

Cricket - I have questions...
on: August 14, 2017, 03:31:41 AM
Since we are a multinational forum there are bound to be folks that are fans of Cricket.

At a local park I ran into a local group of enthusiasts (mostly from India) that have made a Cricket ground and there was a match in progress. I enjoyed watching and other spectators tried to tell me what was going on. Several times everyone got very excited but having no experience, I wasn't sure why.

My biggest question: are there fixed rules or do they make them up as they go along? There seemed to be quite a bit of arguing with the official (referee?). I was very confused, but I want to visit again. Can anyone recommend a book or website that I can go to so that I don't sound like a complete idiot. I see several of each online, but have no idea if a book or website is of value.

THANKS!!
Greg
LM: PST II, Crunch (x2), Squirt, Micra, Skeletool, Rebar, Wave
SAK: Executive, Classic, Compact, Farmer, Fieldmaster, Huntsman, Explorer, SwissChamp, Climber, Camper, Pioneer, Pioneer X, Money Clip, Minichamp, Cadet, Super Tinker, Bijou, Excelsior, Swisstool, Wenger SGT Shortix  Plus, Traveler, Evo S18
 Gerber: Mr. Pinchy, MP600

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Re: Cricket - I have questions...
Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 03:34:02 AM
I know less than you do about Cricket...however, a quick look online did bring this PDF. May it help you.

http://www.nbdmc.ca/cricket.pdf
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline redmond

Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 03:37:00 AM
I know less than you do about Cricket...however, a quick look online did bring this PDF. May it help you.

http://www.nbdmc.ca/cricket.pdf

Thanks Chako - I found a similar cheat sheet also. Let's just say that those are very bare-bones descriptions
 :D :D
Greg
SAK: Executive, Classic, Compact, Farmer, Fieldmaster, Huntsman, Explorer, SwissChamp, Climber, Camper, Pioneer, Pioneer X, Money Clip, Minichamp, Cadet, Super Tinker, Bijou, Excelsior, Swisstool, Wenger SGT Shortix  Plus, Traveler, Evo S18

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 03:40:45 AM
I never could understand the game...and I must say, that PDF didn't do much to clear my mind about Cricket either.  :rofl:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 04:30:39 AM
I play cricket.  :cheers: Love it.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 04:33:50 AM
It's VERY simple:
il_570xN.557833095_4dm8.jpg
* il_570xN.557833095_4dm8.jpg (Filesize: 129.38 KB)

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 04:44:03 AM
Several times everyone got very excited but having no experience, I wasn't sure why...   There seemed to be quite a bit of arguing with the official (referee?).
The fielding team would have appealing to the umpire(s) for the dismissal of one of the batsmen. There can be a lot of judgement required, especially for dismissals such as LBW.

My biggest question: are there fixed rules or do they make them up as they go along?
There are fixed rules, most are well known but there may be a few obscure ones.

Can anyone recommend a book or website that I can go to so that I don't sound like a complete idiot. I see several of each online, but have no idea if a book or website is of value.
I believe this is the official place to go for the rules: https://www.lords.org/mcc/laws-of-cricket/

I will try to find something that gives a visual overview of how the game is played.

us Offline redmond

Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 05:16:20 AM
Several times everyone got very excited but having no experience, I wasn't sure why...   There seemed to be quite a bit of arguing with the official (referee?).
The fielding team would have appealing to the umpire(s) for the dismissal of one of the batsmen. There can be a lot of judgement required, especially for dismissals such as LBW.

My biggest question: are there fixed rules or do they make them up as they go along?
There are fixed rules, most are well known but there may be a few obscure ones.

Can anyone recommend a book or website that I can go to so that I don't sound like a complete idiot. I see several of each online, but have no idea if a book or website is of value.
I believe this is the official place to go for the rules: https://www.lords.org/mcc/laws-of-cricket/

I will try to find something that gives a visual overview of how the game is played.

Super, that site looks like exactly what I needed! The Simple pdf - not so much.   :rofl:

Thanks!
Greg

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 05:31:16 AM
That pdf looks OK for a basic overview.  :tu:
I suggest watching a game on YouTube or the like. Test Cricket is the purest form (played in white clothes with a red ball) but games usually last for five days so I suggest watching a One Day International. These are usually 50 overs per side and played in coloured clothing with a white ball. There is another shorter format called Twenty20 which is similar to ODIs but is only 20 overs per side which can be more exciting for those not so into cricket but not enjoyed by the purists so much.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 05:32:20 AM by Syncop8r »

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #9 on: August 14, 2017, 09:00:25 AM
Here's another explanation:
http://www.dangermouse.net/cricket
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #10 on: August 14, 2017, 12:16:36 PM
Since we are a multinational forum there are bound to be folks that are fans of Cricket.

At a local park I ran into a local group of enthusiasts (mostly from India) that have made a Cricket ground and there was a match in progress. I enjoyed watching and other spectators tried to tell me what was going on. Several times everyone got very excited but having no experience, I wasn't sure why.

My biggest question: are there fixed rules or do they make them up as they go along? There seemed to be quite a bit of arguing with the official (referee?). I was very confused, but I want to visit again. Can anyone recommend a book or website that I can go to so that I don't sound like a complete idiot. I see several of each online, but have no idea if a book or website is of value.

THANKS!!

My feelings exactly on american football... and baseball...
 :think: :think:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: August 14, 2017, 12:20:16 PM
The game is actually played locally, in fact my backyard looks out on a cricket pitch, and the batting (practice) cages are a stone's throw from my back door  :facepalm:

That said, there is a huge difference between basically knowing how it works and understanding the game.........I will never understand it, or the attraction.   :think:

us Offline redmond

Reply #12 on: August 14, 2017, 02:58:33 PM
Here's another explanation:
http://www.dangermouse.net/cricket
Thanks Pablo that is quite helpful. Now I at least can observe a match and can figure out what's going on.
Greg

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #13 on: August 14, 2017, 06:23:14 PM
When I saw the title, I was hoping to see something about CRKT knives (I heard many folks call them "cricket").

:facepalm:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD