Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Knife display?

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Knife display?
on: August 14, 2017, 05:02:15 PM
Hi All

I'm really fed up with my knives living in a secret hidey-hole to only occasionally be taken out a fondled  :facepalm:

I would like to display them, but I have the following problems:

1. Security - I do not want them stolen....again.

2. Security - I do not want them used against me in a home invasion, the living room/kitchen is the obvious of the three rooms in my flat, and an intruder will come from there as well.

3. Leaning heavily towards magnetic holders......but what to do with the SS knives?

I've considered building a secure display case, but space is so limited it would need to be mounted higher up, and that's an issue.

I've also considered something like a normal rack with slots in where the blades fit through, and a crossbar on top to prevent them from being removed.....

All smurfy ideas  :think:

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Re: Knife display?
Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 07:00:48 PM
Hi All

I'm really fed up with my knives living in a secret hidey-hole to only occasionally be taken out a fondled  :facepalm:

I would like to display them, but I have the following problems:

1. Security - I do not want them stolen....again.

2. Security - I do not want them used against me in a home invasion, the living room/kitchen is the obvious of the three rooms in my flat, and an intruder will come from there as well.

3. Leaning heavily towards magnetic holders......but what to do with the SS knives?

I've considered building a secure display case, but space is so limited it would need to be mounted higher up, and that's an issue.

I've also considered something like a normal rack with slots in where the blades fit through, and a crossbar on top to prevent them from being removed.....

Gerhard:Are you allowed to drill holes to mount items in your apartment? Some people in the states forbid doing that if you are renting. That being said I would offer two possible solutions:
Construct a coffee table type display case for your living room using a fairly thick piece of Lexan II(1/2" minimum)as a top.This material is pretty scratch resistant and in that thickness nearly unbreakable except maybe with a sledgehammer. A one inch thick piece will stop a bullet. It isn't cheap and if you decide to use it get optical grade which is crystal clear. I would make a frame for it and attach it to the base using self locking nuts on the bottom so they cannot be easily unscrewed.
Construct a sliding drawer for the display that can be locked by the use of dead bolts in the rear. The table could also be bolted to the floor using bolts that screw in easily but are near impossible to unscrew. I think they are called one way bolts.
A similar display could be constructed to bolt to a wall if space is at a premium.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 10:25:32 PM
My display itself isn't secured in any way, but it's on the second floor.

As an alarm tech, I secured the bottom floor, the overpass and the room itself with motion detection, the window which leads into the room (even though it's high) with a magnetic contact.
All this for the reasons you pointed out.

Magnetic holders probably work on SS as well since SAKs and LM tools are both displayed in rotating cabinets, held in place with magnets.

Securing objects inside a cabinet is REALLY hard to do.
Usualy, in musea and such, we use ultrasonic detection systems inside the cabinet which will be triggerd by hand movement.
This will cause the alarm to be set off and, after closing time, will trigger a fog generator to blind the thief. These systems are highly costing and aren't usualy applied residentialy.

Your best bet will be an electronic system that can not be bypassed (Professional's work) or turn it into something nearly unreachable withïn a few minutes time without a key.

Next questions:
Is the appartment yours?
Is it at ground level?

Is there a room without windows where you'd be able to display your collection? If so, maybe you can turn it into your study. Because then you might be able to just reinforce the door leading to that room. That's also the reason I asked you if the appartment is yours. To know what you can build/rebuild.

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 11:04:43 PM
Hi All

How about two bits of angle iron with slots screwed vertically to the wall? knives go in, some sort of locking bar? :think:
I'm trying to think how to pretty it up, paint it the same colour as the wall? clad it in wood?
 :think:
You could plug it in to the mains for safety, what's the worse thing that could happen?   :shrug

:popcorn:
Everything’s adjustable

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 10:59:10 AM

:think:
You could plug it in to the mains for safety, what's the worse thing that could happen?   :shrug

:popcorn:

Bloody smurfing smurf you are a genius Tony!  :rofl:

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 11:06:27 AM
Hi Ray

Like the idea, but I lack the space and the materials most likely.

I rent but I could mount stuff to the walls.

One idea I had was building a frame with square tubing and covering that with extruded diamond mesh........

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 01:26:43 PM
These are very old photos...and this was before I really started collecting multi-tools. However, the top part has not changed overly much over the years. This is a knife display I made back in 2009 for 6 knives from a local knife maker. You could find something similar that locks, find a few accenting pieces and make it your own.

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 03:47:59 PM
Hi Dan

What I would like to do is fix a bunch of magnetic strips to the wall and plonk them on there in no particular order - grab, fondle, replace.  :gimme:

But just like a glass cabinet that's an open invitation to thieves.   I've had one attempted break-in already, and it's just a matter of time before they do get in.  :facepalm:

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 03:49:26 PM
Just had an idea actually - just one or two magnetic strips and rotate a few knives at a time between hiding and the wall.......minimize any potential loss.

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 06:27:57 PM
Hi Ray

Like the idea, but I lack the space and the materials most likely.

I rent but I could mount stuff to the walls.

One idea I had was building a frame with square tubing and covering that with extruded diamond mesh........

And plug it in to the mains  :salute:

I probably shouldn't encourage you Gerhard  :-[
Everything’s adjustable

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: August 15, 2017, 06:49:54 PM

OK, I have a simple but cunning plan...

Shallow wood ammo boxes, screwed to the wall  :tu:
When you are home you open them, use them as shelves with knives hung in the back, you go out lift and lock the lid
pictures below  :salute:
zze.jpg
* zze.jpg (Filesize: 65.43 KB)

* zzd.jpg (Filesize: 14.62 KB)
zzc.jpg
* zzc.jpg (Filesize: 49.33 KB)
zzb.jpg
* zzb.jpg (Filesize: 36.57 KB)
Everything’s adjustable

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: August 15, 2017, 07:54:37 PM
I've seen some neat DIY magnetic holders.  Some use magnets behind the wood so as not to scratch the blade while others use magnetic strips that you place the blade onto the magnet. 

Esse Quam Videri

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: August 16, 2017, 09:01:51 AM
Hi Tony

I like the ammo crate idea, but thinking about it I realised I live  in a little prison, like we all do, so any intruder will come prepared to break open burglar bars and security gates, a wooden crate is not a challenge.

Gun safes are usually ripped from the wall and opened elsewhere, that's why mine is hidden in a top cupboard.....hoping for short thieves without ladders  :facepalm:

But in all seriousness, I was just thinking if I could put a mild(er) AC current on a magnetic holder that could deter a grab & go.....

We have boxes full of old hard drives at work....they're not allowed to leave whole, so if I harvest a bunch of those rare earth magnets I could DIY something.......

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: August 16, 2017, 12:40:57 PM
Hi Tony

I like the ammo crate idea, but thinking about it I realised I live  in a little prison, like we all do, so any intruder will come prepared to break open burglar bars and security gates, a wooden crate is not a challenge.

Gun safes are usually ripped from the wall and opened elsewhere, that's why mine is hidden in a top cupboard.....hoping for short thieves without ladders  :facepalm:

But in all seriousness, I was just thinking if I could put a mild(er) AC current on a magnetic holder that could deter a grab & go.....

We have boxes full of old hard drives at work....they're not allowed to leave whole, so if I harvest a bunch of those rare earth magnets I could DIY something.......
The AC current would have to be seperated from the net by a seperation transformer.
If not, your power will be gone as soon as someone touched it since the RCD would drop out, leaving EVERYTHING unprotected and your freezer getting warm ;)

On top of that, I don't know the law over there, but building something like that here, would let me end up in jail if a burglar got hurt trying to grab my SAKs...
Yes, even though he has entered my house without permission, I'm not allowed to harm him :facepalm:

So I would have to make sure the current would be high enough so he wouldn't tell on me :rofl:

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: August 16, 2017, 08:33:59 PM
So I would have to make sure the current would be high enough so he wouldn't tell on me :rofl:
:tu: :tu: :tu:

If I was ever to offer a serious answer on this forum...
if you were going to wire something up I would take a look at electric cattle fences  :salute:
Everything’s adjustable

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #15 on: August 16, 2017, 08:41:44 PM
:tu: :tu: :tu:

If I was ever to offer a serious answer on this forum...
if you were going to wire something up I would take a look at electric cattle fences  :salute:

Knife display ...

Door handles ...

Toilet seat ...  >:D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: August 17, 2017, 11:19:44 AM

Yes, even though he has entered my house without permission, I'm not allowed to harm him :facepalm:

99% of houses has electric fencing all the way around, so I think that ship has sailed.......

If I catch them in my house, it's open season.........

Not quite sure how to do the circuit,  not sure if I want current running through the knives......?  :think:

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: August 21, 2017, 01:01:00 AM

On top of that, I don't know the law over there, but building something like that here, would let me end up in jail if a burglar got hurt trying to grab my SAKs...

A sad state of affairs when you are not allowed to defend your home and person. I had an incident at my home many years ago relating to a drunken punk and five of his buddies attempting to enter my home to extricate a person inside that they had some alleged beef with. They were turned away by the presence of my German shepherd and a 12 gauge shotgun loaded with field shot(they didn't know that)but one persisted in trying to enter. Luckily the police arrived and he backed off. The officer asked if I wanted to press charges and I told him I just wanted them out of there and then said that he didn't know how close he came to getting his head forcibly removed by my shotgun. He(the officer who was a friend of mine and fellow gun club member)told me that if he did return and I was forced to use my gun to be sure to drag him inside the house before calling them.Shooting him outside the house was not a good idea.
Fortunately the law here now allows a great deal more "flexibility"..... but you still have to drag them inside.lol

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: August 21, 2017, 08:42:06 AM
Ah a copper with common sense  :salute:

Over here once we have dragged them in you have to hide them in the freezer  :whistle:
Everything’s adjustable

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: August 21, 2017, 08:57:05 AM
Local advice used to be just make sure they don't survive.

I looked around me at one point this weekend and there were 8 knives within reach  :facepalm:

There's one knife from my stolen childhood collect that I still miss, don't want to feel that again, and definitely don't want anything I made ending up in the hands of a criminal....

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: August 21, 2017, 09:07:04 AM
Have you actualy considered having an alarm system installed already?
It's a comforting feeling that nobody will be at my bedside all of the sudden without me being warned well in advance.

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: August 21, 2017, 10:28:08 AM
It's a comforting feeling that nobody will be at my bedside all of the sudden without me being warned well in advance.

Well, the landlord should, I don't have the money......

What I do have is a $5000 excess payment on my home insurance because there's no alarm..... :facepalm:

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #22 on: August 21, 2017, 10:30:19 AM

Well, the landlord should, I don't have the money......

What I do have is a $5000 excess payment on my home insurance because there's no alarm..... :facepalm:

Ouch! that's a bit much isn't it?

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: August 21, 2017, 12:43:17 PM
That's a bummer...

Some of our clients get an alarm installed in their rental home and opt for a wireless system.
Works like a charm!

After ending their contract, they simply take the system with them.
Some automotive double sided tape comes in really handy there. :D

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: August 21, 2017, 01:26:42 PM
Monopoly banana republic money Kevin........worth 10-20 times less than the real stuff out there  :facepalm:

I'm very much in two minds here, we have a saying "you don't look with your hands", but with knives you do........

The idea I like the best so far is a length of angle iron with slots milled into the bottom part and mounted to the wall.

Blades go through the slots, then I envisaged pieces of pipe as spacers and another length of angle iron resting on the pipe spacers to prevent the knives from being withdrawn.......preferably by pad locks through the pipe spacers.

Clear as mud?  :facepalm:

Haven't made my mind up, but the above is the best secure idea, and what I would prefer to do is the wood plank with magnets inlaid on the back.........remove, fondle replace  :like:

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: August 21, 2017, 01:32:55 PM
That's a bummer...

Some of our clients get an alarm installed in their rental home and opt for a wireless system.
Works like a charm!

Not an issue in my flat, but most homes need to have sensor inside the roof since they gain access via the roof and disable the alarm controller which a 99% of the time hidden in the rood.

Connections to the armed response is also wireless.

Considering the costs it's a bit of a problem locally, a small alarm system that caters for 2 rooms and uses the cell network could be a winner  :tu:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: August 21, 2017, 03:15:06 PM
That's a bummer...

Works like a charm!

Not an issue in my flat, but most homes need to have sensor inside the roof since they gain access via the roof and disable the alarm controller which a 99% of the time hidden in the rood.

Connections to the armed response is also wireless.

Considering the costs it's a bit of a problem locally, a small alarm system that caters for 2 rooms and uses the cell network could be a winner  :tu:
€1000 at our company for something like that.

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: August 24, 2017, 08:52:33 AM
Currency I Have:

Euro
EUR
AMOUNT:   I have this much to exchange

Flip CurrenciesCurrency I Want:

Namibia Dollar
NAD
AMOUNT:   I want to buy something at this price

:facepalm:

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: September 07, 2017, 02:43:57 PM
Well colour me disgusted, not sure why I'm surprised considering life.......  :facepalm:

Just took apart 5 hard drives to get at those powerful rare earth magnets........powerful indeed, but tiny!

Used as I intended they would keep up a few smurfy neck knives and nothing more, definitely not the young swords I intend to hang  :bnghd:

What I find strange is these are all older 3.5" IDE drives.

:facepalm: And even while smurfing and moaning I realize and admit how much better and more dependable hard drives became over the years......

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: May 28, 2018, 03:31:09 PM
This is how it should be done:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99