Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Imperial schrade (Taylor brand)

Zed · 46 · 1252

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Imperial schrade (Taylor brand)
on: August 24, 2017, 04:57:16 PM
Well it's not often these days I'm blown away with some products but this imperial schrade has,  it's fit n finnish is very good,perfect no but remember this is a £14 pocket knife, blade retention is very good, a good snap when you open and close the blades,blades are 3cr13mov? Need to find out what that's comparable to,420? All blades are sharp, ok bolsters possibly SS but a good thing is the pin goes right through the bolsters and then polished,you can just see it in the pic, SS liners, and really nice Amber swirl resin scales with brass pins and inlayed badge that are all flush fitted, I'm actually so impressed I've ordered the cracked ice congress and stockman  :tu: I'm a very happy chap  :D
2017-08-24 15.25.10.jpg
* 2017-08-24 15.25.10.jpg (Filesize: 234.67 KB)
2017-08-24 15.24.22.jpg
* 2017-08-24 15.24.22.jpg (Filesize: 168.5 KB)
2017-08-24 15.24.02.jpg
* 2017-08-24 15.24.02.jpg (Filesize: 209.15 KB)
2017-08-24 15.23.44.jpg
* 2017-08-24 15.23.44.jpg (Filesize: 40.34 KB)

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Imperial schrade (Taylor brand)
Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 04:58:31 PM
More pics  :tu:
2017-08-24 15.23.23.jpg
* 2017-08-24 15.23.23.jpg (Filesize: 199.7 KB)
2017-08-24 15.23.00.jpg
* 2017-08-24 15.23.00.jpg (Filesize: 155.14 KB)
2017-08-24 15.22.43.jpg
* 2017-08-24 15.22.43.jpg (Filesize: 192.66 KB)

* 2017-08-24 15.22.07.jpg (Filesize: 64.56 KB)

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 05:50:19 PM
Nice !   :like: :tu:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 05:52:36 PM
Nice !   :like: :tu:

:cheers: I'll review the stockman etc when they arrive,I'll also add the old timer and uncle henry I've got  :salute:

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 12:31:30 AM
I've been pretty impressed with the knew Schrades so far. I remember when they first came out, and they were absolute junk, but they have really improved their quality over the past few years. I've actually started collecting some again recently. Great looking knife! :cheers:
DSCN2713.JPG
* DSCN2713.JPG (Filesize: 270 KB)
Send In the spartans

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 10:10:23 AM
I've been pretty impressed with the knew Schrades so far. I remember when they first came out, and they were absolute junk, but they have really improved their quality over the past few years. I've actually started collecting some again recently. Great looking knife! :cheers:

I'm really impressed with them and I still don't feel my pictures do this knife credit,my reasoning with slipjoints is,I've accidently lost a couple over the years,and I even lost my usual stockman I carry last year but luckily it was found ,now I paid a tenner for that stockman so it's no huge money loss,I can't afford expensive stuff these days ,if i lost a pocket knife valued over 50-100 I would feel sick and I couldn't replace it,I'm sure my grandad etc never carried expensive pocket knives but they did the job for years,for me these schrade especially the imperial models are great value for money,plus they are what I call properly constructed with the pivot pins going straight through the bolsters and polished  :salute: :salute:

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 10:48:11 AM

I'm really impressed with them and I still don't feel my pictures do this knife credit,my reasoning with slipjoints is,I've accidently lost a couple over the years,and I even lost my usual stockman I carry last year but luckily it was found ,now I paid a tenner for that stockman so it's no huge money loss,I can't afford expensive stuff these days ,if i lost a pocket knife valued over 50-100 I would feel sick and I couldn't replace it,I'm sure my grandad etc never carried expensive pocket knives but they did the job for years,for me these schrade especially the imperial models are great value for money,plus they are what I call properly constructed with the pivot pins going straight through the bolsters and polished  :salute: :salute:

I feel the same way.

Does your knife's tang show where its made?

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 11:34:49 AM

I feel the same way.

No just Imperial one the front and model number on the back of the main blade and nothing on the other blades,the schrade lb8 and 7OT I have are the same  :tu:

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #8 on: August 25, 2017, 11:48:51 AM

I feel the same way.

No just Imperial one the front and model number on the back of the main blade and nothing on the other blades,the schrade lb8 and 7OT I have are the same  :tu:

They really look solid  :like:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: August 25, 2017, 12:04:08 PM

I feel the same way.

Time will tell but this congress looks as well made than the GEC I raffled and some case knives I've had and got up my attic  :tu: and for under £15 you can't grumble to much it it fell out of your pocket, although I carry all my pocket knives in a RR slip that's got a clip and clips into your pocket ,it works a treat and if i can get some clips in going to make some out of better quility leather  :tu:

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #10 on: August 25, 2017, 12:09:20 PM

I feel the same way.

Time will tell but this congress looks as well made than the GEC I raffled and some case knives I've had and got up my attic  :tu: and for under £15 you can't grumble to much it it fell out of your pocket, although I carry all my pocket knives in a RR slip that's got a clip and clips into your pocket ,it works a treat and if i can get some clips in going to make some out of better quility leather  :tu:

:o  that's a pretty bold statement to make, zed! I'm no collector as I use what knives and tools I have and so they're at risk of getting lost. So I agree with the point about not losing much with reasonably priced knives. But to say they as well made as GEC and Case, wow. It means China has really stepped up their game.....  ???

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: August 25, 2017, 12:45:04 PM

I feel the same way.

:o  that's a pretty bold statement to make, zed! I'm no collector as I use what knives and tools I have and so they're at risk of getting lost. So I agree with the point about not losing much with reasonably priced knives. But to say they as well made as GEC and Case, wow. It means China has really stepped up their game.....  ???

Well it's only my opinion but I've had enough to compare over the years, I think of it this way ,most newer case knives are £60-100 but are they any better than a £15 knife that also has a good warranty? Would I use a £60 knife hard enough to know it's a amazing knife,personaly no ,it's a bit like people breaking Moras battoning the crap out of them ,but would they beat on a bushcraft knife worth say £200-400 , I guess not ,we all could break any knife if we wanted to especially cheap ones,hence why people think there no good,but I bet I could break a case or GEC if i used it hard enough  ;) but then I look after my knives no matter on what there value  :tu:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: August 25, 2017, 01:08:04 PM
Well 2 more just in to look at,after lunch  :D
2017-08-25 12.05.50.jpg
* 2017-08-25 12.05.50.jpg (Filesize: 228.34 KB)
2017-08-25 12.06.19.jpg
* 2017-08-25 12.06.19.jpg (Filesize: 132.95 KB)

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: August 25, 2017, 02:08:31 PM
Ok so we all know I was blown away by my Amber swirl congress and I'm very happy with my old timer 7OT  and my uncle Henry LB8, but what are my thoughts on these 2, well let's start with the price,both under £15 Each, the congress is basically the same as my first but with cracked ice scales,fit n Finnish no different than my first,but the snap out not as solid but harder snap closing,this knife is a tad gritty so I'm going to give it a good soak and lube it and see if that improves it,don't get me wrong it's ok but not as snappy as my first,all blades sharp  :tu: nice looking knife. Ok the large stockman, fit n Finnish ok (not mind blowing)but ok,  blade snap brilliant  :tu: blades all sharp, scales  :-\ well there ok but there is a little corner with a gap where it's sitting proud,I'm just going to squart a little glue in and clamp it for a few hours, other than that it's ok, I'm still happy but then these are users not collector peices that only get a little polish now and then  ;)
2017-08-25 12.42.29.jpg
* 2017-08-25 12.42.29.jpg (Filesize: 303.54 KB)
2017-08-25 12.42.12.jpg
* 2017-08-25 12.42.12.jpg (Filesize: 240.03 KB)
2017-08-25 12.41.30.jpg
* 2017-08-25 12.41.30.jpg (Filesize: 298.44 KB)
2017-08-25 12.41.10.jpg
* 2017-08-25 12.41.10.jpg (Filesize: 275.84 KB)

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: August 25, 2017, 02:10:20 PM
Few more pics and the old timer 7OT & uncle henry lb8  :tu:
2017-08-25 12.40.34.jpg
* 2017-08-25 12.40.34.jpg (Filesize: 303.97 KB)
2017-08-25 12.40.05.jpg
* 2017-08-25 12.40.05.jpg (Filesize: 336.79 KB)
2017-08-25 12.42.56.jpg
* 2017-08-25 12.42.56.jpg (Filesize: 285.48 KB)

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: August 25, 2017, 02:12:07 PM
 :like: :tu:

It looks like the quality is much better than the US made Imperials of the 1970's

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: August 25, 2017, 02:34:52 PM

It looks like the quality is much better than the US made Imperials of the 1970's

:tu: too be honest Steve these are very good knives for the money,would I pay £28-30 for say the uncle henry congress with 7cr17mov ? due to me liking the staglon and being curious then possibly but I feel I'm getting  better deal with there Imperial schrade version  :tu: one thing I noticed with the cracked ice congress is it's fit n Finnish overal is even better than my Amber swirl congress, especially the base as silky smooth  :salute:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: August 25, 2017, 06:15:39 PM
All cleaned and lubed and scale glued down  ;)
2017-08-25 17.13.02.jpg
* 2017-08-25 17.13.02.jpg (Filesize: 326.34 KB)

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #18 on: August 25, 2017, 06:32:44 PM

I feel the same way.

Well it's only my opinion but I've had enough to compare over the years, I think of it this way ,most newer case knives are £60-100 but are they any better than a £15 knife that also has a good warranty? Would I use a £60 knife hard enough to know it's a amazing knife,personaly no ,it's a bit like people breaking Moras battoning the crap out of them ,but would they beat on a bushcraft knife worth say £200-400 , I guess not ,we all could break any knife if we wanted to especially cheap ones,hence why people think there no good,but I bet I could break a case or GEC if i used it hard enough  ;) but then I look after my knives no matter on what there value  :tu:

My philosophy about value-for-money in pocket knives also. I guess I haven't been paying much attention to Schrades when I became interested with knives again. Do you own any Rough Riders? How would you compare it with the new Imperials?

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: August 25, 2017, 06:39:30 PM

I feel the same way.

My philosophy about value-for-money in pocket knives also. I guess I haven't been paying much attention to Schrades when I became interested with knives again. Do you own any Rough Riders? How would you compare it with the new Imperials?

I've owned alot of RR and all very good ,my only gripe is the pivot pins under the bolsters   :-\ But they have great fit n finnish i would say a little smoother than schrade but on par  :tu:

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #20 on: August 25, 2017, 06:44:42 PM

I feel the same way.

I've owned alot of RR and all very good ,my only gripe is the pivot pins under the bolsters   :-\ But they have great fit n finnish i would say a little smoother than schrade but on par  :tu:

Its amazing how much China has increased the quality of their products to the point that enthusiasts here at MTO (with whom I have high regards) are liking them a lot! I have to rethink my bias  :think:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: August 25, 2017, 06:54:12 PM

I feel the same way.

Its amazing how much China has increased the quality of their products to the point that enthusiasts here at MTO (with whom I have high regards) are liking them a lot! I have to rethink my bias  :think:

Too be fare it's probably easier here in the uk to go with the Chinese invasion on the knife undustry,it kind of happened here years ago and knives from Pakistan,my first pocket knife I got in 1980-81 wasn't a beautiful Sheffield made pocket knife,it was a rather rough and ready lockback hunter made in Pakistan, many knives I had in the 80's was made in Taiwan etc, I have seen the increase in build quility over the years and it has improved,  I'm one of these people that just goes with the flow , yes I love old U.S and German and Sheffield made knives ,but I can see the potential in these Chinese knives as well,

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #22 on: August 25, 2017, 07:18:42 PM
This thread have definitely made me look at Schrade in a different and more favorable light, zed! Looking forward to more pics and posts  :salute: :cheers: :like:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: August 25, 2017, 08:21:36 PM
This thread have definitely made me look at Schrade in a different and more favorable light, zed! Looking forward to more pics and posts  :salute: :cheers: :like:

Thanks  :cheers: I'll add the 2 schrade
lockbacks next  :tu:

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: August 26, 2017, 12:39:22 AM

Very true. They are the modern working man's knife. A quality blade that can be owned by anybody. Here's my 33OT that I'm carrying today :cheers:
DSCN2748.JPG
* DSCN2748.JPG (Filesize: 255.23 KB)
Send In the spartans

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #25 on: August 26, 2017, 12:50:46 AM

Very true. They are the modern working man's knife. A quality blade that can be owned by anybody. Here's my 33OT that I'm carrying today :cheers:

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: August 26, 2017, 01:45:04 AM

Thanks an0nemus! :cheers:
Send In the spartans

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: August 26, 2017, 08:31:22 AM
Nice spartan19  :salute:  Like I was saying to a member yesterday I would rather carry a knife for years and add memories than have it in a box with the occasional photo in the sun  :-\ I still get a buzz when I see pics of someone's grandads/dads old knife with a worn blade and broken scales ,you know that knifes been used daily and has memories and now is a heirloom with value in its memories and not $$$$ value  :tu:

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: August 27, 2017, 03:01:00 AM
Now that I think about it, I'm pretty much the same way, I love my Cases and Remingtons, but their almost too nice to use for heavy work. I'ts nice to have a few "economy" knives on hand too! As long as they work, that's all I care about. I may even add a few more later on! :D
Send In the spartans

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: August 27, 2017, 08:04:32 AM
Now that I think about it, I'm pretty much the same way, I love my Cases and Remingtons, but their almost too nice to use for heavy work. I'ts nice to have a few "economy" knives on hand too! As long as they work, that's all I care about. I may even add a few more later on! :D

:tu: like I said it's nice to add memories to these knives, there tactial to hold and over the years of real use they get blade wear and the odd break in the scales etc ,when I see a pic of a handed down old knife it makes me smile no matter who made it,  :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%