Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Super Tool 300 saw length

Offline zapikank86

Super Tool 300 saw length
on: September 04, 2017, 10:52:39 PM
Anyone know how long the cutting edge is on the Super Tool 300 saw?

I have an idea of putting it in a single-half surge. So I have knife, scissors, saw, and bit driver.

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Re: Super Tool 300 saw length
Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 11:09:32 PM
It should fit

“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline zapikank86

Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 11:18:25 PM
Looks like the longest saw Leatherman has, nice.

I wonder how it compares to a Victorinox saw.

Are the inside tool pivots the same on the Surge and the Super Tool? I think they are.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 12:39:42 AM
Victorinox SAK saw has the best length for multitool size/length, in my opinion.  :think:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 02:37:32 AM
Looks like the longest saw Leatherman has, nice.

I wonder how it compares to a Victorinox saw.

Are the inside tool pivots the same on the Surge and the Super Tool? I think they are.

I would think the inside pivots should be the same but I have been known to be wrong about stuff like this :facepalm: The way they lock is different though :think: So are you intending on putting the saw in the same spot as the blade exchanger :think: If so then you will have to grind a bit on the ST300 saw to get it to lock with the liner lock :salute: Then it isn't 100% guarantee that it will lock up correctly but there may still be a good chance it will ;) :cheers:

Take pics and let us know how it goes if you do this :like:

Offline zapikank86

Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 06:51:09 AM
I plan on making a SAK from a Surge. A Surge Army Knife if I can call it that. So just 1 body half, no pliers, blade and scissors on the liner lock parts. Bit driver and SuperTool saw on the inside part.

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 08:23:20 AM
Interesting idea... I've had occasion to compare the SuperTool saw with the Surge blade exchanger with saw mounted. The latter combination is a teensy bit longer, about 1mm or so, so the SuperTool saw should fit in a 1/2 Surge without any problems. Also, pivot and outer lock area sizes of the SuperTool saw will fit the Surge pivot and lock opposite the plier-side pivot.

Question though: what are you going to do (if anything) with the space left in the plier-side pivot by the removed plier head?
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 11:42:07 AM

I believe they are.  Zoidberg has done some ST300/Surge tool swaps so he might be able to confirm.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #8 on: September 05, 2017, 12:06:40 PM

I believe they are.  Zoidberg has done some ST300/Surge tool swaps so he might be able to confirm.
I replaced my Surge's bit driver with an ST300's phillips.

Offline zapikank86

Reply #9 on: September 05, 2017, 05:04:39 PM

Question though: what are you going to do (if anything) with the space left in the plier-side pivot by the removed plier head?

The saw should take up a little of it. I can even use the long screwdriver bit and it will  still work. I was also thinking of having the bottle opener on the pliers pivot (it won't be locking i know). Or my wild idea is to 3D print a plastic housing to slide inside that spot which contains a tiny LED flashlight or laser pointer diode. Or a 3D printed housing which can hold an extra screwdriver bit.

Ultimately in the far future I think i will get some custom steel liners water-jet cut that can house a Benchmade axis lock knife and other tools.. for the ultimate SAK
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 05:08:07 PM by zapikank86 »

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: September 05, 2017, 05:23:58 PM

Ultimately in the far future I think i will get some custom steel liners water-jet cut that can house a Benchmade axis lock knife and other tools.. for the ultimate SAK
:drool::popcorn:
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

Offline zapikank86

Reply #11 on: September 05, 2017, 06:26:48 PM
I really don't know why no one has done it before. I see people getting custom scales made. 3D printing custom jigsaw blade holders out of steel, all sorts of mods. But never seen anyone come up with their own liners to hold the tools they want. Just a 2D drawing is needed and sent it out to a water-jet shop. Have cut-outs for liner locks or whatever lock you want. My old place of work used to have things EDM or water-jet cut all the time for our stuff. It's no biggy. But I'm getting off-topic, so i'll shut up

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #12 on: September 05, 2017, 06:36:14 PM
It's your topic, you can derail it as much as you want.  :pok: :D
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: September 06, 2017, 09:59:59 AM
But I'm getting off-topic, so i'll shut up
You don't need to. The make-your-own-liner bit is very interesting indeed! It's kind of just dawning on me how flexible you could be designing your own tool with this. The only reason why I am a little slow in picking this up is that I'm no SAK modder and limit myself to somewhat less modifiable LM tools (and the same width restriction applies to most available plier-based tools, I reckon), for the moment at least.
Re water-jet cutting, how thick can the sheet material be at most? Would it also tackle 2-3 mm thick spring steel for instance? That would open up real possibilities for home-made knives on the basis of existing / modified tools...
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

Offline zapikank86

Reply #14 on: September 06, 2017, 09:58:30 PM
Yes, water jet cutting and EDM processes can cut 3mm steel, and more! I would just keep the liners the same thickness and a regular steel knife liner. But you can practically copy the design of any knife's liner cutouts for the locking stuff, then add in your own cutouts and pin holes for other tools. Of course I dont think you can sell it because half the tool is from other company's stuff, but of course you can keep it for personal use.

If you know how to use a 3D CAD program and know a little about manufacturing processes you can build your own tool out of existing tools. I'm not a SAK modder or a knife maker, but I did go to school for engineering. All I need to do is design some 2mm or so steel liners for the tools I want, make sure to design it for the backsprings or whatever, then assemble it and make some custom scales.

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: September 07, 2017, 08:39:00 AM
Right. Interesting, thanks! :tu: The spring steel part of my question was aimed at the back springs so those would be covered too, I guess... hmmm... I feel a winter project coming up :D.

Anyone have 3D models of existing multitool or SAK parts lying around, by chance?

Sent on my SM-G930F with Tapatalk

Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: September 07, 2017, 09:42:40 AM
We never actually answered your question by the way: (zero point is at pivot)

PS mm only, I have no nice inches ruler, sorry...

Sent on my SM-G930F with Tapatalk

Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #17 on: September 08, 2017, 04:12:59 PM
3 inches.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!