Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Powered multitools?

Poll

do things like a modern drill count?

Yes
2 (15.4%)
No
11 (84.6%)

Total Members Voted: 13

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Powered multitools?
on: September 17, 2017, 03:10:52 AM
I've got the batteries for my tools charging here on the desk and I"m thinking- are these guys multi tools?

I think most of us have (and the rest should have) a decent cordless drill. In terms of versatility, it's hard to beat- drills, drivers, socket adaptors. If you've got some talent and the right touch, you can run wire wheels and the like on them without screwing it up. With the right adapter they become an ad hoc drill press. Do they qualify as a multitool? If we compare them to, say, a Pocketwrench or a Shard or anything made by Atwood, which we'll all agree count, a good 12 or 18v cordless is leaps and bounds more versatile and capable.

I'm not sure if it qualifies as a multitool, though. It all comes down to making things go round and round. A lot of different things, but... That being said, I think with the right tool selection, a good hex shank bit driver DOES qualify. I have no reservations about saying that. But a bit driver can, with the proper care, be adapted to many other things- file, knife, saw (blade holder). Years ago, Lowes even used to carry a small adjustable wrench head that would go into your driver handle. So the bit driver doesn't just rotate, the way a drill does.

So I"m going to throw it out there to the group. What is the groupthink?
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Re: Powered multitools?
Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 05:44:48 AM
For me, the accessories are not built into the drill itself, so it is just a drill that has accessories and not a multitool. A multitool has the accessories built into the frame, and not sitting unattached. That is my personal take on it.
Saying a power drill is an MT is like saying a 1/4" bit driver is an MT, because it has many unattached accessory bits.
My MT has everything built into and onto the handle frame. With exception of a bit kit of course.

Last thought! Is my Skil saw an MT because it has wood, metal, masonry,  and tile blades available? No. I have to go find and fit the accessories.

It might be a philosophical question you have posed,  but it is clear to my personal way of thinking. :multi:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 08:56:23 AM
im gonna say no, drills fall into the hand tools category. agree with gerleather, needs to have several implements built into its chasis to be a multitool.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 10:03:44 AM
Versatile tool, yes.
Multitool, no.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 02:53:35 PM
Most makers call those things "multitools". To me, they're nothing but a heavier duty improvement on the Dremel.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%