Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Simple lanyard hack

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Simple lanyard hack
on: September 19, 2017, 06:40:22 PM
I've just got back home with three full and rather heavy bags of shopping, and can report that a simple hack with a lanyard and backspring hook on a Swiss knife, just made shopping a whole lot easier.

I have to get taxis when I go shopping, and usually the first task when arriving back home is rummaging around in the boot (truck) of the taxi, trying to gather together all the groceries that have spilled out and been rolling around. Then it's a matter of getting all the bags out, and ferrying them to the door of the house.

Not any more!

Following a conversation on here a couple of days ago, I decided to try a simple little trick, and made a lanyard for my Voyager Lite. A simple loop with a small biner clip. I clipped the biner to my belt loop before I left the house, and had the knife dangling in the pocket. In town, laden with shopping, I removed the lanyard, wrapped it twice through each of the handles, and clipped the biner through both ends of the loop. I then looped one end through the other, and used the hook to cart all three bags to the taxi rank. All bage loaded in one foul swoop, no groceries spilled, and all bags removed and taken to the door in one go with a more comfortable handle.

Just goes to show that a Swiss knife, a bit of string, and a little imagination, really can make life a lot easier.
IMG_20170919_170253_1067_800.jpg
* IMG_20170919_170253_1067_800.jpg (Filesize: 138.75 KB)
IMG_20170919_170104_1067_800.jpg
* IMG_20170919_170104_1067_800.jpg (Filesize: 56.74 KB)
IMG_20170919_170119_1067_800.jpg
* IMG_20170919_170119_1067_800.jpg (Filesize: 46.08 KB)
IMG_20170919_170141_1067_800.jpg
* IMG_20170919_170141_1067_800.jpg (Filesize: 40.95 KB)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Simple lanyard hack
Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 06:48:45 PM
And back around 5pm, just in time for dinner and a drink :dd:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 06:58:02 PM
 :tu:
Cool trick.
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 07:11:04 PM
I've just got back home with three full and rather heavy bags of shopping, and can report that a simple hack with a lanyard and backspring hook on a Swiss knife, just made shopping a whole lot easier.

I have to get taxis when I go shopping, and usually the first task when arriving back home is rummaging around in the boot (truck) of the taxi, trying to gather together all the groceries that have spilled out and been rolling around. Then it's a matter of getting all the bags out, and ferrying them to the door of the house.

Not any more!

Following a conversation on here a couple of days ago, I decided to try a simple little trick, and made a lanyard for my Voyager Lite. A simple loop with a small biner clip. I clipped the biner to my belt loop before I left the house, and had the knife dangling in the pocket. In town, laden with shopping, I removed the lanyard, wrapped it twice through each of the handles, and clipped the biner through both ends of the loop. I then looped one end through the other, and used the hook to cart all three bags to the taxi rank. All bage loaded in one foul swoop, no groceries spilled, and all bags removed and taken to the door in one go with a more comfortable handle.

Just goes to show that a Swiss knife, a bit of string, and a little imagination, really can make life a lot easier.

Neat idea, Al!
 :cheers: :tu:

Tell me, last few times you went to town, was it common for you to have been laden with shopping? That must have been frightening...

:whistle:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 07:12:09 PM

Not any more!

Neat idea, Al!

Tell me, last few times you went to town, was it common for you to have been laden with shopping? That must have been frightening...

I see what you did there...

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 07:27:03 PM

Not any more!

Neat idea, Al!

I see what you did there...

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 08:09:54 PM

Not any more!

Great use of the hook!   :like: :tu: :tu: :cheers:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 03:17:08 PM
I might make the lanyard a little shorter, as it's bottoming out in the pocket when clipped to a belt loop. Aside from that, I'll keep using this on future shopping trips, and hopefully it'll continue to make life easier. Aside from "tied tools" when working at heights or alongside water, it's the first time I've found a lanyard useful. Certainly not the first time I've found the hook useful though.
IMG_20170919_170320_1067_800_edit.jpg
* IMG_20170919_170320_1067_800_edit.jpg (Filesize: 282.82 KB)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: September 20, 2017, 04:48:07 PM
Certainly MacGuyveresque.   :like:
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!