Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I got a Lockjaw Locking Pliers

ph Offline Teofilo

• No Life Club
I got a Lockjaw Locking Pliers
on: October 27, 2008, 12:53:58 PM
This one's different from all the locking pliers around:

Auto Adjusting Pliers:

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Re: I got a Lockjaw Locking Pliers
Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 06:05:53 PM
I have been thinking of picking up a pair of those. Let us know what you think after you have had some time to try them out.  :cheers:
[

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
  • Naked without my multitool!
Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 12:01:49 AM
Nice one gene! is the black parts on the tool with the springs metal or plastic? Is it good for heavy work?

Donald
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 12:05:21 AM
I've see those in auto parts stores, very neat!

ph Offline edap617

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 12:12:12 AM
Gene, did you buy that from the hardware store at the 5th floor of the mall? I hope that Shrade tool on sale is still available. Nice tool!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 02:38:48 AM
It looks like an entirely different mechanism than the usual vice-grip locking pliers. How does it compare Gene?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ph Offline Teofilo

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 02:31:04 PM
I'ts all metal, Donald.

Compared with my other locking pliers, lockjaw seemed as tough as the original vise grip ,crescent and nicholson. As advertised, "Lockjaw Automatic Locking Pliers make jobs faster and easier." and cheap at 558 pesos or 11 USD and lastly, it's made in USA.(some metal parts are from Mexico)

« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 02:56:49 PM by Teofilo »

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 03:45:18 AM
Whoa, you've got quite an array of locking pliers there Gene! Do you use them in your work somehow?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 04:32:30 AM
Where is the cheapest place to buy those at?
(

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
  • Naked without my multitool!
Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 05:11:45 AM
Whoa, you've got quite an array of locking pliers there Gene! Do you use them in your work somehow?
Gene is the world's top spy interrogator! Uses them for his interogation methods  :D
Thanks gene, if its all metal then thats one tought vice grip! Where did you buy it? Its reasonably priced.

Donald
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008, 09:18:13 PM

He must round off a lot of fasteners!   :D
- Terry

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
  • Shop smart, shop S-Mart.
Reply #11 on: October 31, 2008, 06:28:36 PM
Now that's worth looking into. I'm not a "gimmick" tool kind of guy, but this looks like a legitimate and significant improvement over traditional locking pliers. Thanks for sharing this.

Mike
Common sense ..... so rare, it's virtually a super power.

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
  • Smells like tar and smoke.
Reply #12 on: October 31, 2008, 07:17:44 PM
I'ts all metal, Donald.

Compared with my other locking pliers, lockjaw seemed as tough as the original vise grip ,crescent and nicholson. As advertised, "Lockjaw Automatic Locking Pliers make jobs faster and easier." and cheap at 558 pesos or 11 USD and lastly, it's made in USA.(some metal parts are from Mexico)

(Image removed from quote.)

hey,i ve got pair of those iron cross pliers too,as i have quite lot of mac tools etc,jesse james/west coast choppers tools here.

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: October 31, 2008, 08:16:00 PM
I'ts all metal, Donald.

Just out of curiosity what brand are those black oxide needle nose vice grips?
(

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: October 31, 2008, 08:20:10 PM
I've been meaning to get some lockJaws for some time, but, as with all good Yankee things, it would be cheaper for me to raise a family, than buy some.

Any thoughts on them so far?

ph Offline Teofilo

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: November 01, 2008, 09:31:03 AM
 :)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 09:35:48 AM by Teofilo »

ph Offline Teofilo

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: November 01, 2008, 09:34:22 AM
I'ts all metal, Donald.

Just out of curiosity what brand are those black oxide needle nose vice grips?

The brand is Crescent. Actually, its the expensive one.

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: November 08, 2008, 05:06:36 AM
I'ts all metal, Donald.

Where did you find the USA/Mexican made ones at? I was in Sears today and I noticed a set of them and on the back of the package it said made in China :-[
(

ph Offline Teofilo

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: November 09, 2008, 02:13:06 AM
I'm sure this one is not made in China:

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: November 22, 2008, 05:01:38 AM
got 10 & 6" Lockjaws today.

$33 the at the local tool store (A very good tool store actually, with staff who know about tools, and are more or less friendly (that is, I find them friendly enough, the upper class might consider a bunch of retired tradies trying to pose as checkout chicks a bit more disturbing), they have an incredible range, both in type of tool, and quality from terrible and cheap (Medalist Steel Rulers have been known to spontaneously combust) to the top of the line stuff, as well as a house brand that is perfectly respectable for 9/10 users, they also have damn near the best pricing in town.

(just wanted to give a store that has been supplying myself, my family, & my friends with tools for the last many years it's due)

Anyway, so these buggers usually run for around $75, 50-60 on special.

These are the newer, chinese editions.

if you look up the page some, you'll see some genuine Irwin Vice Grips pictured (far left & second from the right)
As you can see, the actual head and handle are separate parts, with a bit of an indent to hold in place, as well as the pivot further down.

Presumably the original Lock Jaws were also of this design, but these (probably Cast?) Chinese ones have a single piece for the handle and top half of the plier head - but being cast of the original design, has a (purely aesthetic now) shape of the plier head being smaller than the handle, and the indent in the metal.

It's kinda ridiculous, as it is a single piece, there is no need for the head to be thinner, as it doesn't have to fit "inside" the handle.

There's also casting marks on the black pivot between the two handles.

Time will tell if there is any issue with ruggedness, and I doubt there will be, but it is still disheartening.

As a counter-point, perhaps if people like me had of been willing to pay for them when they were made the other way, they would not have had to alter their manufacturing to compete.

Reap what you sow eh.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 05:13:34 AM by Nomad »

Offline DoughDTD

• One is never enough!
Reply #20 on: December 22, 2008, 01:13:29 PM
Looks pretty neat, but I figured I'd throw this link at you guys, seeing as it wasnt mentioned in the thread:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00945308000P?vName=Tools&cName=HandTools,GeneralPurpose&sName=Pliers&psid=FROOGLE01&sid=IDx20070921x00003a

Craftsman Professional Auto-Lock pliers.  They are essentially the same thing, auto adjusting vise grip pliers, and lemme tell you, these craftsmans work really really well.  And you get a 2 piece set for 25 bucks.  Aint bad for a lifetime warrentied, made in the USA, craftsman professional tool!

-Dough
W

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69