Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

MT Preferences

ca Offline holder228

MT Preferences
on: September 22, 2017, 02:57:00 AM
I was wondering if everyone could give me their opinions on pliers-based multi tools in general. I really would like to know if people prefer stuff like Gerber's "Out the front" style of pliers vs the traditional "Butterfly?" Dedicated drivers vs bit drivers? Pocket clip or sheath carry? Outside accessible tools or ones that fold out from the inside? things like that! I'd love to hear the reasoning behind it as well. Details please!!!
:gimme:
Maybe while we're at it, someone can explain everyone's irrational desire to have scissors on a multitool...  :whistle: 
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 03:36:09 AM by holder228 »

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Re: MT Preferences
Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 03:30:35 AM
The Gerber style are fun to "flick", and that makes them one handed opening, but I think they take up a lot of room inside resulting in smaller tools.

Outside opening tools (mostly just knives, saw and files) adds convenience but makes for a thicker heavier tool.

Bit drivers are handy, but leave you with small parts to loose.  Also, the big flat driver is usually the only pry tool.  The Wave has both.

I have a lot of Leatherman MTs, but really love my Victorinox Spirit.  All exterior tools (but not one hand opening) without the extra weight.

Scissors seem to be a personal thing.  People ask the same thing in the Swiss Army Knights board.  If you're asking that question then I'm guessing you aren't a scissors person.
- Steve

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 09:29:55 AM
The Gerber style are fun to "flick", and that makes them one handed opening, but I think they take up a lot of room inside resulting in smaller tools.
The OTF-pliers have one more advantage, they have a much smaller handle splay

Outside opening tools (mostly just knives, saw and files) adds convenience but makes for a thicker heavier tool.
Only true if they are also OHO and made by LM, the Victorinox Spirit has all outside tools and is the slimmest in the class.

Bit drivers are handy, but leave you with small parts to loose.  Also, the big flat driver is usually the only pry tool.  The Wave has both.
A bit holder is also only useful with a bit kit, meaning extra weight/bulk. Personally, I prefer the Victorinox bit-kit as I can use it independently of the MT, e.g. I can use the pliers and the bit-driver at the same time.

I have a lot of Leatherman MTs, but really love my Victorinox Spirit.  All exterior tools (but not one hand opening) without the extra weight.
Yeah, the Spirit is my favorite as well.

Scissors seem to be a personal thing.  People ask the same thing in the Swiss Army Knights board.  If you're asking that question then I'm guessing you aren't a scissors person.
Almost everything scissors can do, the knife can do too. However, scissors can cut without support and they are a great convenience if you are around kids, you can even let them cut themselves.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

fi Offline Padre

Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 10:40:18 AM
Right now MP600 pretty much does what I need. Blunt nose is sturdier just like the whole tool compared to others. I also liked SwissTool, but it didnt last, I like how you can adjust the inside tools on Gerber.
Tool density is of course worse on Gerber, but if it takes a beating, then its the only option.
I am building myself Rebar that will probably take MP600 spot later on. It is still waiting for few spare parts.

Tools I need are blade, file and flathead drivers. Opening method isnt an issue, but the pliers must be accessible.
I prefer carry in sheath.
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

us Online Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 12:00:00 PM
Welcome to :MTO: :cheers:

I like butterfly opening inside tool types because they keep crud out of the tool better than most type of MTs :salute: I also prefer dedicated drivers and carry an adapter in my sheath if I need to convert it to a bit driver but I do like the bit driver fine as well :cheers:

Scissors are a must for me as you can't trim fingernails safely with a blade :pok: Yes a knife can do any tasks scissors can do but no as safely ;) I keep a very sharp blade and use it for certain activities and same goes for my scissors :salute: Now the bottle opener they seem to want to stick on every MT and SAK is the tool I would call irrational and find it very aggravating that they seem to want to put them on every tool :facepalm: at least they have added other funtions to them so they aren't completly useless :whistle: :D

us Offline King_Gorilla

Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 06:25:55 PM
Maybe while we're at it, someone can explain everyone's irrational desire to have scissors on a multitool...  :whistle:
:D   :like:  :rofl: :like: :D   :cheers:   I too find little use for scissors on a MT.  But it is probably one of the most polarizing issues within the multi-tool carrying community.  My brother, one of my close friends, and many people on this forum tend to LOVE scissors. 

One hand opening/closing/ and operating are all very important to me.  I love the outside accessible blades and tools.  Part of this is because of how easy it is to open and close and generally access the blade, but the other part is that when the blade is deployed on an outside blade, the cutting edge is usually oriented into a good cutting position facing the outside of the tool.  While most of the time the blades that fold out from the inside of the tool will have an edge facing the inside of the tool; making it a little more difficult to work with.    I love playing with the sliding OTF style tools but most of them don't have outside accessible blades and the ones that do tend to be really big and thick.  I think it is VERY important to mention that a lot of the Butterfly opening tools can be flipped open with one hand just as easily as a sliding OTF tool.  SOG users talk about this all the time.  My Leatherman Signal is super easy to flip open.  With practice, you can open and close a Leatherman Crunch one-handed. (and it's kind of fun)  Others like the wave may not be able to be flipped open but you can get them open with one hand and some assistance from your thigh or something. 

I love bit drivers, particularly the flat Leatherman kind.  The space that is taken up by the bit driver on a leatherman is very narrow.  It is about the same amount of space that would be used to house a single dedicated slotted driver and single dedicated Phillips driver side by side.  So, even though it is most effective when you have extra bits that you will be using for various tasks, as long as you have the standard reversible bit in place, it is not taking up any more room than the dedicated drivers and it is performing the same functions.  BUUUUT in a perfect world, it would just be great to have the right sized dedicated tool for the job rather than bits.  It's just not always possible.   :D

I carry any standard sized 6-10 oz multi-tool in a sheath on my belt.  I love having the option of a pocket clip or carabiner clip to use when I am working on something where I will be using the tool again and again.  But for carrying around all day, I would rather have a sheath.  It also gives me a place to hold bits, a sharpie and a flashlight.         
blade compare.jpg
* blade compare.jpg (Filesize: 112.91 KB)
DSC_1379.JPG
* DSC_1379.JPG (Filesize: 72.51 KB)

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 06:31:31 PM
All the models/designs have pros and cons. In the end, it comes to personal preference. After you used a couple of MT, you begin to find some type easier to use or more adequate to your needs. That's the one you'll prefer.

:cheers: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #7 on: September 22, 2017, 07:57:24 PM
Outside opening tools are a must for me. I also like tool with a pocket clip. I tend to gravitate towards mid size tools rather than full size due to weight. Pliers, drivers, blade and possibly a file and I'm good.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #8 on: September 22, 2017, 09:53:22 PM
I prefer knifeless. More space for other tools/implements, and I'll carry a knife which best suits the day ahead.

I don't like tools covered in uncomfortable hotspots, or which have overly splayed handles. Ergonomics matter to me.

I like scissors. They are a sign that you have reached a certain stage of multitool enlightenment when you realise they enhance the tool. Don't worry if you're not there yet, it takes some people longer than others  :whistle: >:D

Safe one hand closing of a knife, is more important than one hand opening.

Ideally, screwdrivers should lock open. If used properly, a folding blade need not.

Diamond files are awesome.

Saws should not be any thicker than they need to be.

Sprung pliers and indexible cutters rarely improve a tool, and usually impede performance/longevity.

Stainless tools should not have a surface finish which promotes corrosion.

A combo of a well chosen Swiss knife and well chosen complimentary pliers tool is very hard to beat.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #9 on: September 22, 2017, 10:44:29 PM
Just a few random, scattered thoughts:

I prefer the Leatherman Style CS over the Micra, because of its outside accessible tools.

That said, OHO (One-Hand-Opening) is a wonderful feature, but I can take it or leave it.

I prefer the Leatherman REV (ducks!) over the REBAR, because it offers a pocket clip.

I love the ergonomics, compactness, function and feel of SAKs - both Cellidor and Alox (I wish there were more Alox models with more tools.)
I'd like to specify just a few things I find appealing about them:
 :pok: Beautiful aesthetics, sweet -and- functionally designed pen blades, blades and tools made of impeccable stainless and easy-to-sharpen steel, optional pliers are very strong and pack a big punch, best scissors, overall terrific tools/implements and offer various replaceable parts and accessories. :D

IMHO, Scissors are Under-Rated. I am a scissors-toting-fanatic; so many uses!

I am a big fan of the Gerber MP600 series. Although I concur that the flicky-style pliers result in smaller internal tools, I still find the MP600 a highly effective and desirable multitool.

#1 RULE: If there's a tool taking up space on my SAK or Multitool, it had better FUNCTION!
SAW

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #10 on: September 22, 2017, 11:06:57 PM
I was wondering if everyone could give me their opinions on pliers-based multi tools in general. I really would like to know if people prefer stuff like Gerber's "Out the front" style of pliers vs the traditional "Butterfly?" Dedicated drivers vs bit drivers? Pocket clip or sheath carry? Outside accessible tools or ones that fold out from the inside? things like that! I'd love to hear the reasoning behind it as well. Details please!!!
Aside grooming and occasional thread clipping, I usually don't use scissors. BUT, with that being said, when yiu need them you need them. A cheap sak or equivalent keychain tool with small scissors on your keyring would most likely do the trick.
Theb you can concentrate on the tools yiu may really need to be reliable.  For the money(-$50), medium duty LMs and Gerbers would suite most needs. Now, the heavy duty class is tricky and a highly debated topic on MT.O. I have found that tools in the $60+ range are mostly a matter of taste and job usage.
There are extremely expensive medium duty MTs as well, such as the Vic Spirit($100+ new) and higher end LM juice stuff($60+ new) and etc.
If you need something for light duty tasks, then some Swiss Army Knives might be what you need. But, saks won't be as capable as a pliar based MT for medium and heavy duty tasks.
Also, some MTs are rivited and can't easily be adjusted and some have screws to get the tension and tightness the way you like it. Another matter of preference.
I think the best way to go about choosing is to think about what you will use the tool for and what each tool has to offer. Also, being prone to leaving tools laying around and losing them can be a money factor. I know if I lost my Vic Spirit I would be sick. If I lost my $30 LM wingman, not so much.
Other stuff. Are you hard on the screw drivers? If so, you may consider a tool with a bit kit and exchangeable bits.
Do you need a saw? Do you need a file? Do you need a can openers. Do you need a bottle opener? What kind if blade do you need? Do you need an awl? What kind of screws do you use the most?
All of this is important when deciding on one tool. Now, if we can assimilate you into collecting like some of us, then you will eventually find the best tool for you. :assimilate:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: September 23, 2017, 05:00:25 PM
I prefer outside tools after carrying a Spirit for the last six months. It just feels the most comfortable. Also perfect mix of tools.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

ca Offline holder228

Reply #12 on: October 05, 2017, 01:28:09 AM
I guess I should have specified that, while this is only my second post as a member, I have been lurking around here for quite a while :whistle:  I'm actually rocking my modded wave with the Rebar head and dedicated drivers which I use for work. I really only brought up the scissors thing because i know it's probably the most polarizing issues here on the site and i like to poke at people  :pok: :D

I guess my thinking is that, I know exactly what i want on my MT because i built one specially around my job. I really just wanted to know why other people drift towards other multitools more then others? Why made you want THAT tool set exactly.

This probably could have been a lot easier for me if i had just said "describe your perfect MT," but lord knows how long that would take  :facepalm:

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: October 06, 2017, 08:23:49 AM
My favorite pliers-based multitool is the Crunch. To me the added functionality of the vise grip pliers really puts the multi in a multitool. The drivers are good and they lock. The serrated blade is excellent for utility cutting and the file is decent. Plus, albeit in a slightly awkward fashion, it can be used a bit driver. I've also found the wire stripper notch and the pin vise to be nicely functional as well.

As mentioned above, I have to agree that scissors are good for children :D

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: October 06, 2017, 01:51:25 PM
My preferences for multi-tools are the normal easy ones I guess: Great quality, inexpensive, light weight, just the tools I need in the size I want, each tool working well, perfect fit for my hand, and sturdy. Somewhat civil looking wouldn't hurt either for normal daily carry.

How close I can get to those preferences in the real world is the problem - multi-tools are necessarily compromises. And what compromise and priorities I prefer at any given day also depends on what I'm doing.

In general though I like having at least the most common tools available from the outside, I do think scissors are nice to have, and I do like bits that are integrated in the tool spacewise. The latter simply because I like pocket sized tools, and don't use belt pouches. That said a flat screwdriver usually doubles as the only pry option too so I do still want that.

Maybe most important to me is that the tools that are actually there does work as intended. Having to carry something that doesn't really work is worse than not having it there in the first place - with the added nuissance that you thought you had it. For me that seems to be the downfall of so many of the cheaper multitools - too many of their tools just don't work proper.
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: October 06, 2017, 06:25:33 PM

Options, options, and more options.  While I like the out the front plier tools I much prefer to use the butterfly opening ones.  For some handle splay will be a big concern.  I have no such concerns as my hands are large enough for the mighty Surge. 
Pocket clip or sheath.  I sheath carry but like I said I like options.  For me a sheath is the best way to carry my MT.  I have used the pocket clip on my Wave/Charge and its quite nice. 
Outside tools are great and OHO is even better.  I know that in some areas of our world OHO is a no no but in mine its highly appreciated.  Truth is I tend to use my MT as my main blade so having the ability to open and close one handed is a benefit.  The next tool I like OHO is my file.  I can do without the saw and serrated blade OHO.  I modded my Wave to include OHO scissors and wished the Wave/Charge series would follow suit.
Dedicated drivers or bit drivers.  I have a serious like for the bit drivers.  I have not fount a situation where mine has not performed.  If reach is the "issues" one can easily use the bit extender or mod one.  If 1/4 bit are to your liking then again use the bit extender or mod one.  Having 42 different options is never a bad thing.  I think the stand alone drivers are decent.  If I have certain screws that I'm always running up against then I'd probably carry a dedicated driver of that type.  The idea of a MT is......  The idea of a MT for me is, having options. 
Scissors.  I'd argue for more scissors.  I have found that cutting with scissors vs using a knife is relative in comparison.  Can a knife do what a scissors do? If by cut then yes.  There is a place for scissor on MTs.  If you are someone who just honestly doesnt get it then thats fine.  Its hard to convince someone of most anything.  I like oatmeal without sugar or milk.  I enjoy Iced Tea without sugar or lemon as many drink it.  There is no right or wrong and no need to convince. 
Lastly I'll say, what ever part of the world you are and personal usage play such a huge part in our choices.  Familiarity also plays a huge part as I am slowly beginning to see.         
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: October 06, 2017, 08:59:19 PM
I guess I should have specified that, while this is only my second post as a member, I have been lurking around here for quite a while :whistle:  I'm actually rocking my modded wave with the Rebar head and dedicated drivers which I use for work. I really only brought up the scissors thing because i know it's probably the most polarizing issues here on the site and i like to poke at people  :pok: :D

I guess my thinking is that, I know exactly what i want on my MT because i built one specially around my job. I really just wanted to know why other people drift towards other multitools more then others? Why made you want THAT tool set exactly.

This probably could have been a lot easier for me if i had just said "describe your perfect MT," but lord knows how long that would take  :facepalm:

If you like to poke people you need to  :poke:  them good      ;)

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #17 on: October 07, 2017, 10:50:45 PM
This is a hard question to answer. Picking your EDC tool(s) is one of the most profoundly personal choices that you'll ever make. What car to buy isn't even par. My EDC tools are mine. If you can borrow part of my EDC, even in my sight, it means you can borrow my toothbrush.

Actually, I think the people who can borrow much of my EDC is shorter than the people who can borrow my toothbrush.

So, yeah, it's one of the most personal and intimate decisions you can make in your life. Your life, your hand, your tools. Tools make your life better. Sometimes they just make you more efficent ("productively lazy"), sometimes they can be thought of as potentially life saving. You life, your tool. Find what works for you. Stick with it. Live with it, by it.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%