Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Is a newer wave considered better?

us Offline Zhenchok

Is a newer wave considered better?
on: September 22, 2017, 03:01:04 PM
I purchased the original wave on eBay about 15 years ago and maybe 5 years later got the new design wave.  I haven't used either yet :) I'm wondering if the newer design is valued more than the original?  When I open the original it seems like there is more wobble in the handles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“All human beings have three lives: public, private, and secret.” ― Gabriel García Márquez

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Re: Is a newer wave considered better?
Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 03:34:12 PM
It's what you like more... some folks prefer the older tools over the modern bit driver. The OG wave is also a bit thinner and compact.

I like them both.
SAW

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 03:55:24 PM
The simple answer is Yes.  It is "considered" better.  The reality for many is the OG Wave is tops.  Larger scissors, thinner tool, real phillips.  The New Wave however added the bit driver and lost most of the other flat drivers except one and the phillips.  The scissors got smaller and the tool over all wider. 

I like both.  I do prefer the New Wave because the bit driver. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline italophil

Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 04:37:26 PM
I prefer the size of the OG Wave, but miss the locking tools and wider blade of the newer one. The OG Wave's blade is slimmer and the cutting edge touches my thumb when I open it one-handed. The scissors of the older one are among the best on any multitool, in my opinion.

In the end it is personal preference. I would love to see a third generation with Rebar pliers, outside scissors like on the Surge and an awl instead of the inside ones. For now I can dream or start collecting parts and do it myself. 

us Offline LoopCutter

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 05:25:05 PM
It is always a personal choice. 
Do not have a OG Wave, yet!

The new Wave is on my belt right now, use the OH knives and love the file.  Have a bit kit and extender also. 

I also have a Rebar, actually 3.  It is slimmer, and the Phillips and flat blades do as designed, yet have an extender and bit kit for it.

Scissors not a biggy for me as either my Micra or SAK Vagabond have that utensil. 

If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

gb Offline BePrepared

Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 06:28:49 PM
Had both.  Love the original's look and feel, and slimness.  Also excellent scissors!  But sold it and got a gen 2 wave.  Love that too --- modded it and added Vic scissors in place of serrated blade, and awl and philips from Fuse/Blast range.  Add to that these inside tools also lock, and the bit holder, and this is almost perfect for me.... except the original still looks so nice.

If the handles wobble on the original it may be possible to tighten it up. I think the handles, U-shaped in cross section, may have opened up a little.  I used my Squirt to squeeze then tighter. YMMV.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 06:44:37 PM
I like both :tu: What I would have said has already been said :D Depends on what you want if you want bigger scissors and dedicated drivers then OG Wave and if you want bit driver and locking tools all the way around then new Wave :cheers:

us Offline Zhenchok

Reply #7 on: September 22, 2017, 08:59:26 PM
Thanks

“All human beings have three lives: public, private, and secret.” ― Gabriel García Márquez

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #8 on: September 22, 2017, 09:29:33 PM
I have never understood tools where the blades lock, but the screwdrivers don't. That seems backwards to me, as I have no need for a lock on a folding blade. As such, I never got an original pattern Wave. I do prefer "proper" drivers to the semi-flat bit driver affair though, so I have modded my Wave with the drivers from the Fuse/Blast line.... and made it knifeless too  :D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: September 23, 2017, 04:14:37 PM
I have never understood tools where the blades lock, but the screwdrivers don't. That seems backwards to me, as I have no need for a lock on a folding blade. As such, I never got an original pattern Wave. I do prefer "proper" drivers to the semi-flat bit driver affair though, so I have modded my Wave with the drivers from the Fuse/Blast line.... and made it knifeless too  :D

I would be so interested to see your knifeless wave. I love knifeless MTs.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: September 23, 2017, 06:34:35 PM

Here you go  :cheers:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: September 23, 2017, 07:23:52 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

Thanks! That ruler prybar looks like it's from a freehand?

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: September 23, 2017, 08:34:19 PM

Close! A Grappler  ;)

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: September 23, 2017, 08:38:01 PM

Close! A Grappler  ;)
:like:
That's a big move. Considering the rarity of those tools.  :salute:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: September 23, 2017, 08:39:52 PM

Close! A Grappler  ;)
:like:
That's a big move. Considering the rarity of those tools.  :salute:

I don't care that much about rarity, just about having damn good tools  :D :cheers:

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #15 on: September 23, 2017, 10:30:14 PM
I prefer the og wave. I hate hate hate both bit drivers on the new wave. Much rather have a good selection of built in drivers with some reach, and an optional bit extender that fits over the Phillips. 

50ft-trad has the right idea on the inside tools.  God I hate the eyeglass driver.

us Offline tommywp

Reply #16 on: September 24, 2017, 01:26:50 AM

That's a beauty!
 :tu:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: September 24, 2017, 01:37:14 AM

That's a beauty!
 :tu:

Thanks Tommy  :salute:

It still needs a little refining here and there (doesn't quite close full, and needs a little extra grinding) but all in all I'm very happy with it, and it's been carried quite a bit since I put it together  :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD