Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Vic Fisherman Question

00 Offline WolfyW

Vic Fisherman Question
on: September 30, 2017, 07:21:17 PM
Anyone here enjoy a little fishing like me, and actually used the Vic hook disgorger ???

I take my Gerber pliers and Classic along, been eyeing up the Fisherman (and Supertinker Deluxe). Did a search first and came up empty. One thing for sure is I doubt I'd ever actually use it for scaling or gutting as I'm sure things would get under the knife scales and breed bacteria.
"The older I get, the better I was".

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Re: Vic Fisherman Question
Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 07:53:47 PM
Anyone here enjoy a little fishing like me, and actually used the Vic hook disgorger ???

I take my Gerber pliers and Classic along, been eyeing up the Fisherman (and Supertinker Deluxe). Did a search first and came up empty. One thing for sure is I doubt I'd ever actually use it for scaling or gutting as I'm sure things would get under the knife scales and breed bacteria.
Your right. Theres no substitute for a fixed blade for hygiene.  :cheers:
However... Theres lots of other stuff you can do with the fish scaler. For example, you can use it as a range finder, general pokey tool, measuring small stuff, scratching your back, etc.  :cheers:

Credit to shibafu for the photo.  :salute:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

00 Offline WolfyW

Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 11:19:17 PM
Looking for any "hook disgorging testimonials".

Have read about it being used for everything from a back scratcher to Olive fork. But I've scoured the 'net for use as a disgorger and no luck yet.
Although the range finder idea is new to me. Nifty, really.

I guess I'll have to buy a Fisherman and go fishing....

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Vic Fisherman Question
Reply #3 on: September 30, 2017, 11:39:06 PM
I think if I was actually going to use a SAK as my fishing knife, I'd remove the scales and just carry it with no scales at all. Other than MAYBE using the tweezers for threading and tying line, I don't see a need for the tweezers and toothpick in a tackle box. With the scales off, you just open all the tools out and toss it in the dishwasher when you're done for the day.
Plenty of tools and no harder to clean than your kitchen utensils.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: September 30, 2017, 11:53:05 PM
A custom SAK with Titanium or Alox handles would also be easier to clean.  :whistle:
Such as:
And here is the final result for the fisherman project.  Very happy with how it turned out!

I have been hording some new old stock main blades before they started making them thinner, and I thought this model deserved a full old blade with the crossbow symbol on it, so I used one :D

:D

(Image removed from quote.)

Or

Today's work...  :D

;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline twiliter

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 01:10:55 PM
I have used the Vic fish tool for removing hooks, mostly on trout. Pretty easy to use, put the fork down onto the hook, pull the line up tight to secure it in the fork, and gently work it loose from the fish. The pliers on the Angler work for more difficult hook removals, but I like having scissors (Fisherman) for line trimming, etc. The Deluxe Angler is better because it has both, but it's hard to find. The SwissChamp has everything needed for most light fishing needs, which is what I mostly used back when I went fishing more often.  :salute:

I prefer to use my SAK for fishing, but most guys I used to fish with carried 4 to 6 inch needlenose pliers with cutters, and nail trimmers for line trimming, which is a good setup, so almost any pliers based MT will work great for fishing, esp. if it has decent scissors.  :tu:

00 Offline WolfyW

Reply #6 on: October 01, 2017, 03:53:15 PM
I have used the Vic fish tool for removing hooks, mostly on trout. Pretty easy to use, put the fork down onto the hook, pull the line up tight to secure it in the fork, and gently work it loose from the fish. The pliers on the Angler work for more difficult hook removals, but I like having scissors (Fisherman) for line trimming, etc. The Deluxe Angler is better because it has both, but it's hard to find. The SwissChamp has everything needed for most light fishing needs, which is what I mostly used back when I went fishing more often.  :salute:

I prefer to use my SAK for fishing, but most guys I used to fish with carried 4 to 6 inch needlenose pliers with cutters, and nail trimmers for line trimming, which is a good setup, so almost any pliers based MT will work great for fishing, esp. if it has decent scissors.  :tu:

All good info. Gotta have scissors for line trimming. Been using the Classic on a neck lanyard. Gotta wonder why Vic didn't put scissors on the Angler, too ? For the toothy fish like northern pike it seems wise to go with long pliers.
I love going ultralight for panfish as well. Sometimes they swallow deep, so I'll cut the line and release to avoid damaging them. That got me wondering if I'm maybe missing something regarding the Vic disgorger for that issue ?

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: October 01, 2017, 04:08:21 PM
Both the fisherman and the deluxe tinker are great choices. I like having the scissors when I'm out fishing, it makes life a lot easier!  :like:
Send In the spartans

00 Offline WolfyW

Reply #8 on: October 01, 2017, 04:39:28 PM
Both the fisherman and the deluxe tinker are great choices. I like having the scissors when I'm out fishing, it makes life a lot easier!  :like:

Yup! A Deluxe Tinker, with a disgorger, in Alox for improved sanitation and durability. And a sharpening file. Maybe there is a design job opening for me in Switzerland ???? 😂
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 04:40:53 PM by WolfyW »

us Offline twiliter

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #9 on: October 01, 2017, 05:44:50 PM

All good info. Gotta have scissors for line trimming. Been using the Classic on a neck lanyard. Gotta wonder why Vic didn't put scissors on the Angler, too ? For the toothy fish like northern pike it seems wise to go with long pliers.
I love going ultralight for panfish as well. Sometimes they swallow deep, so I'll cut the line and release to avoid damaging them. That got me wondering if I'm maybe missing something regarding the Vic disgorger for that issue ?

The dehooker and pliers only have so much reach, so if the hook is set deep sometimes a thinner model can fit down a bigger fishes gullet, the SwissChamp is limited there by the width. Same with MT's. If you have a lure you really want to save, it helps to have long reach needlenose pliers along, otherwise the hook or whatever is lost. I read somewhere that fish will absorb and dissolve an ingested hook over time, unless it's stainless or some other kind of unobtainium, so the damage is supposedly negligible, but I have not verified this. I have had to keep fish that were not keepers when this happens. :-\

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: October 01, 2017, 06:30:28 PM

Yup! A Deluxe Tinker, with a disgorger, in Alox for improved sanitation and durability. And a sharpening file. Maybe there is a design job opening for me in Switzerland ???? 😂
If you don't mind not having the hook, awl and backside philips, this could be an easier job than it seems...

Of course, syph could make one in sweet Ti AND keep the backtools.  :drool:
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 06:31:36 PM by Pablo O'Brien »

All hail the hook!

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: October 02, 2017, 01:36:28 AM

I wish there was!
Send In the spartans

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #12 on: October 02, 2017, 03:03:53 PM
I wonder why the scaler hasn't made it over to the Alox range yet?
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: October 02, 2017, 10:07:52 PM
I wonder why the scaler hasn't made it over to the Alox range yet?
You could say the same for the pliers, metal file, inline Phillips/mag glass, etc.  :ahhh

All hail the hook!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21